Plural of Wose

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

joshudson

Plural of Wose

Post by joshudson »

What should the plural of wose be? I've used woses once or twice, but it just doesn't sound right.

wose? (like sheep)
woses? (like tree)
weese? (like goose)
wosen? (weird)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Well, Wose is an actual word (search for it on Wikipedia; it gives you a Tolkien-related article, but Tolkien actually stole the name from European folklore), and the plural is Woses. So I would use that.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

No no no, the plural of "wose" is "wooses". Hence the common misconception of calling a single one a "woose"... :P
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dragon Master

Post by Dragon Master »

"Wose" singular and "Wose" plural sound fine to me. "Woses" is also fine but just go with what works as long as people understand you.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

So Tolkien's Woses were the little wild men? And ours are basically the same as Tolkien's Ents. How curious.

Anyone know why our Woses got that name?
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Because that's what the Devs wanted. And of course, that is what is the law.
hey.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Zhukov wrote:So Tolkien's Woses were the little wild men? And ours are basically the same as Tolkien's Ents. How curious.

Anyone know why our Woses got that name?
Well, just everyone who was around when the Woses were added. ;)

The basic reasoning was:
1. These are ent-like creatures basically copied from Tolkien.
2. But, they're NOT the exact same, so we shouldn't call them ents. And that would be copyright infringement anyway.
3. Hm... what about woses? It means "wild-man-of-the-woods". Tree-man, wild-man, same thing - or at least close enough.

;)

(PS: The name of Wose fits, IMHO; but I don't think Woses really have a place in Wesnoth, and they never really did; especially not one that would lead to them being allied with the Rebels. So I've always been opposed to Woses in Wesnoth.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
kshinji

Post by kshinji »

Ent isnt copyrighted. It wasnt invented by Tolkien as far as i know. Even if i am wrong, name is already used in many things, like TCGs or RPGs.
User:Kshinji
Probably there's no point for me posting here, but i'll raise my PC to 1337 before leaving again ;P -- just kidding.
schnauzerhead

Wosi?

Post by schnauzerhead »

I would have to go with wosi... sounds cooler.
Mm.... gentoo.
xtifr

Re: Wosi?

Post by xtifr »

schnauzerhead wrote:I would have to go with wosi... sounds cooler.
I think you misspelled "sillier". :)

I actually had another adjective in mind, but I decided to be polite.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
UDD

Post by UDD »

If you're going for wosi in a similar way to bonus=>boni, then it should actually be "wi", which is not dissimilar to the upcoming "Wii".

That's it, I vote for "wi"
~
When you turn your computer off, its called a "Shut Down".
Shouldn't turning your computer on be called a "Shut Up"?
pjr

Re: Plural of Wose

Post by pjr »

joshudson wrote:What should the plural of wose be? I've used woses once or twice, but it just doesn't sound right.
Boring technical answer:

The Anglo-Saxon weak masculine noun "wasa" (plural "wasan"), which is a rare and rather poetical word meaning "man", seems to be the source of Tolkien's word "wose". The change from long "a" to long "o" is regular - compare "stan" -> "stone", "da" -> "doe" and many others; and the "-a" of weak nouns is invariably lost.

So the plural could be formed by analogy with modern descendants of other weak nouns in "-a".

"bera, beran" -> "bear, bears"
but
"oxa, oxan" -> "ox, oxen"

So you could use either "woses" or "wosen" without upsetting linguists, but plurals with altered vowels or no change have a different origin. The singular of "weese" would be "woose", and unaltered plurals like "sheep" mostly originate with strong neuter nouns, not weak masculine ones.

I like "wosen" myself, because "woses" sounds like a lisping pronunciation of "roses". Also, I think Tolkien preferred "woses", and there's no harm in being different.

"Ent", by the way, was also an Anglo-Saxon noun, meaning "giant", so Tolkien didn't invent it.
UDD

Re: Plural of Wose

Post by UDD »

pjr wrote:"woses" sounds like a lisping pronunciation of "roses".
Wouldn't a lisping pronounciation of "roses" sound more like "rotheth" or "wotheth"?
~
When you turn your computer off, its called a "Shut Down".
Shouldn't turning your computer on be called a "Shut Up"?
schnauzerhead

Hmmm..

Post by schnauzerhead »

So.... Wosen? that sounds good.......
Mm.... gentoo.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hmmm..

Post by Thrawn »

schnauzerhead wrote:So.... Wosen? that sounds good.......
I agree, though to some it may sound like an adjective.

I mean, hey, we uase magi for mages, why not wosen for woses
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well