Unit dies -> drop items?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

When a unit with an item dies, should the unit drop the item they carry for others to pick up?

Yes!
85%
No! Keep it the way it is!
15%

Total votes: 60

Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

He asked if the engine supported multiple items on one hex.
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

mbabuskov wrote:What happens if unit has multiple items when it dies? They should all fall onto same hex. Does the game engine allow that?
it would if it allowed dropping items. the problem would be how they are displayed. do we want one image there? if so, which one does it choose? or do we want to show both? if so, how?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

It does support multiple items on the same hex, and they would be displayed one atop the other.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Dave wrote:It does support multiple items on the same hex, and they would be displayed one atop the other.

David
my question is: would this look good?

my opinion is that it wouldn't.

and, in general, i am against units dropping items except in special circumstances. most items should not drop, but you should be able to specify if they do or don't, IMHO. just my $.02
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

turin wrote: my question is: would this look good?

my opinion is that it wouldn't.
It probably wouldn't look good -- but really, how many units are likely to be carrying multiple items, and killing them isn't a victory/loss condition?
turin wrote: and, in general, i am against units dropping items except in special circumstances. most items should not drop, but you should be able to specify if they do or don't, IMHO. just my $.02
I think we could put a 'break_chance' attribute in the item settings which allows you to set the chance it will 'break' (i.e. not be dropped when the unit dies). You could set it to 100 for 'always breaks' and 0 for 'never breaks'.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
mbabuskov

Post by mbabuskov »

Dave wrote: I think we could put a 'break_chance' attribute in the item settings which allows you to set the chance it will 'break' (i.e. not be dropped when the unit dies). You could set it to 100 for 'always breaks' and 0 for 'never breaks'.
Idea: if unit has multiple items, only the item with lowest 'break_chance' would not break, thus solving the problem of multiple items.

Post by Guest »

Why not make a graphic for multiple items, like a bag or chest?
When you then hover the mouse over it, the left side (where unitinfo is) shows all the items in the hex.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

er, this seems like it should be in Art/Music...
I don't think objects should be a major part of Wesnoth. It was said in another forum that Wesnoth should not be a 'get-the-power-ups' game, and I agree with this. I think the scenario designer should decide, since there should be few levels with objects.
Having said that, there should be a drop_object macro that works something like this:
#define DROPITEM ROLE ITEM
[event]
name=die
first_time_only=no
[filter]
role={ROLE}
[/filter]
{ITEM}
[/event]
#enddef
would you be able to do this? the reference to {ITEM} might be a problem
BTW I find it very strange the way the WML tag [object] works... it really does three things.
- display a message from the object
- remove the item from the hex
- apply one or more effects to the unit
and it can only be done to the primary unit for the event.
I think these three things should be seperated into 3 different actions: the [message], [removeitem], and [effect] tags. A macro could be defined that uses all of them together.