Saracens v0.1.6

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yogin2

Saracens v0.1.6

Post by Yogin2 »

Hi All,

Here's the Saracens + Default Era, currently under development.
Feel free to download this and start testing. Comments on balance, look and feel, etc. are welcome in this thread. To install, unzip this file into your "[WesnothPref]/data/campaigns/" folder; it will contain "default_dev.cfg", and the "default_dev" folder.

Offers for help are also appreciated. We currently need animations, level 3 artwork, artwork for lvl 0 & 1 falcon unit, and sounds for all units. Additionally, artwork for lvl 1 Heavy Cavalry (Ghulam) needs to be altered. It is currently using the artwork for the lvl 2 Archer Ghulam instead.

This file will be constantly updated with the most current changes.

Note 1: infantry-veteran currently has slow attack. this is to be slated to changed into stun if implementable.

Note 2: non-OS X users ignore/delete the folder called "__MACOSX"

Last update: April 23, 2006, 21:50 hours, PDT.
Attachments
Default_dev_0.1.6.zip
(60.52 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Last edited by Yogin2 on April 24th, 2006, 4:45 am, edited 10 times in total.
<sapientx> [The heavy fighter]'s like a cross between an HI and a mage
<sapientx> I couldn't decide whether to guard him or put him on the front line
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

You do realize that you will get a much greater response if you upload this to the campaign server, right? ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Check the elite infantry level and cost...
Change those Thingie2 names to something else.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:You do realize that you will get a much greater response if you upload this to the campaign server, right? ;)
Also if the main thread linked to in the first post wasn't in the most heavily restricted forum we have... :?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Yogin2

Post by Yogin2 »

shrug. not that big a deal yet. we're still making adjustments. that's why it's v0.1. Putting it in forum just gives a nice central place to keep the most current version that's not on the campaign server. I think even the wiki mentions that in development stuff should stay on the forums.

Besides why is art forum restricted? I could read it fine. and I just created this username yesterday.
Yogin2

Post by Yogin2 »

Check the elite infantry level and cost...
Done. thanks. lvl 2 costs are all ballpark right now.
Change those Thingie2 names to something else.
err, working on that.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

I was talking about the Falcon2 and Healer2 not your nick ;-) :lol: :lol:
Yogin2

Post by Yogin2 »

I was talking about the Falcon2 and Healer2 not your nick
What? I've got to come up with a level 2 name for my nick as well? damn. more work to put on the list.
Yogin2

Saracens updated to v0.1.5

Post by Yogin2 »

A lot of balancing changes were made. Primarily, a new unit was added, the Heavy Cavalry, or Ghulam, which has a 20-1 attack lance, and a 6-3 mace.

Here's the changelog:

Code: Select all

v0.1.5 (04/22/2006)
	-balancing changes
		*saracenhorse changed to 10 blade, 0 impact, -10 pierce, 40 village
		*horse archer to 16g
		*archer back to 17g
		*MF hp = 36
		*healer back to 6-2 damage
		*healer cost to 18g
		*changed healer and archer to 0 blade resist
			-branched saracenlightfoot into saracenfoot for MF, MF2, and N
	-names changed
		*light horse archer name = Mamluk
		*heavy horse archer name = Archer Ghulam
	-mistakes fixed
		*MF2 movement to 6
		*infantry-veteran gets marksman
		*infantry-veteran is level 2
		*changed all attack names to lower case
	-added new unit: Heavy Cavalry
		*Ghulam: 38hp, 20-1 lance, 6-3 mace, 6 moves, 
			 20 blade, 10 impact, 0 pierce, 40 village, 17g, 40xp
		*uses same picture as Heavy Horse Archer right now

As always, comments appreciated.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'd like to see the mixed fighter get 50% DEF in mountains and forest (instead of 60% in mountains and 40% in forest). This would fit with his versatility theme, and reduce his dwarfness.

It's a very cool faction, BTW.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Yogin2

v 0.1.6

Post by Yogin2 »

only one change:

HF downgraded to 6-3 marksman.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Sapient wrote:I'd like to see the mixed fighter get 50% DEF in mountains and forest (instead of 60% in mountains and 40% in forest). This would fit with his versatility theme, and reduce his dwarfness.

It's a very cool faction, BTW.
So you want to make it like every other normal fighter, and give it a conventional movetype.

I'm sorry to say I'm not going to do that (which is something I was asked not to do as well). The response I've gotten from most experience players who play it is that the faction's movetype is unique, and fosters a way of play that is different. Rather than being like other factions, you must learn this faction's strengths and weaknesses and play according to them.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

My complaint is the mixed fighter plays too much like a dwarven unit (and strictly better than the dwarven fighter during day). I wasn't suggesting changes to any of the other units DEF. I do like their unique style, as you put it.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Sapient wrote:I'd like to see the mixed fighter get 50% DEF in mountains and forest (instead of 60% in mountains and 40% in forest). This would fit with his versatility theme, and reduce his dwarfness.
I agree that some (non-falcon) unit should get more than 40% def in forests. Either that or a level 1 unit with better resistances, so that there is some hope of defending in a forest. Every other faction has both strong resistance units of some time AND good forest defence units.

OTOH, if you take away the Saracens forest defence problem, they suddenly become an amazingly powerful force that can fight well on everything but water.

meh
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Yogin2

Post by Yogin2 »

Here's a dwarf v. saracens 016 replay to look at. I was dwarves, Hellrider saracens. Yes, I know I took too many risks with my leader. I felt pressured. I also kept forgetting to take $%!@# hills rather than mountains.
Overall, gg by Hell.

We need to take a closer look at this balance. It's not as bad as the Bece-Decker games on DoO, but I don't quite have a feel for it yet, either.
Attachments
Hellrider-Yogin replay.zip
(10.17 KiB) Downloaded 191 times