Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
radoz
Art Contributor

[Updated] Video trailer to showcase BfW artwork

Post by radoz »

Having seen the new artwork and hearing the phantastic music of the current development version of BfW, I felt like editing some kind of video trailer to showcase the art, music and the game itself.

Here's what I've got so far:

1. Logo BfW, introduce "world" map of BfW, main menu music
2. Four campaign pictures of HttT, softer tune
3. Show in-game action and portraits artwork, battle-like music

5th (final?) Update: Please go to page 6 of this thread or click here for the latest version of the video

Here's the first 28 seconds of the video:

(Edit: Outdated links removed)

Sorry for the blurry sequence of the in-game shot at the end, it's just a place-holder until I figure out how to capture BfW on video with a decent framerate, or maybe someone could help me with this if interested?

I had a lot of fun doing this so far and thought I'd post it here to see what you think about it.
Last edited by radoz on April 24th, 2006, 9:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't ...
Prophet

Post by Prophet »

Well it _sounds_ very nice. I tried to open the file with 5 diferent players (divx, media player, powerdvd, nero show, winamp). Only winamp could open it and there i couldn't see the video i could only here the sound...

Could somebody tell me where i get a good MP4 Viewer or tell me where i find proper codecs (with instruction how to install)? Or could you plaese save it as MPEG or AVI ?
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Well, it mostly worked on my mac at work running in quicktime, although it seems to come to an abrupt end. What I did see looked quite good and well done. You may wish to compare your work with that done on this thread:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... commercial
radoz
Art Contributor

Post by radoz »

Prophet wrote:Well it _sounds_ very nice. I tried to open the file with 5 diferent players (divx, media player, powerdvd, nero show, winamp). Only winamp could open it and there i couldn't see the video i could only here the sound...

Could somebody tell me where i get a good MP4 Viewer or tell me where i find proper codecs (with instruction how to install)? Or could you plaese save it as MPEG or AVI ?
Maybe that's due to me using a Mac and that fine but processor eating H264 codec, please try these instead (video quality is a little lower without H264):

EDIT: removed outdated links to old version of trailer

I can playback any of these four with VLC.
Last edited by radoz on April 22nd, 2006, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't ...
radoz
Art Contributor

Post by radoz »

Darth Fool wrote:Well, it mostly worked on my mac at work running in quicktime, although it seems to come to an abrupt end.
Sure, it's work in progress, not finished, yet.
Darth Fool wrote:What I did see looked quite good and well done.
Thanks!
Darth Fool wrote:You may wish to compare your work with that done on this thread:
Seems I'm not the only one inspired by the great new artwork and music of BfW! Though I think his approach to video editing is different and personally I prefer a more "pompous" style, and spent a lot of time adding animation to the images, such as masking the background and adding fog etc.

You said you are using a Mac, too. Any idea what MPG format would do for all folks, including the Win and Linux people?
scott

Post by scott »

I think this is spectacular. You and the other guy should get together. I like your first half more, with the title and story art animation.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Prophet

Post by Prophet »

Yes it realy looks super! A good work! Thanks for the MPEG Video. But your right the qulity of the fighting scenes are not of that good quality yet, but you surley will find a good programm and then its perfect :D
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

I like it and agree that it is a different approach. What program are you using though! :o I like it!
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Whoa! That is great :).

One suggestion: on the battle scenes toward the end, have the portraits go slower. It is hard to get a good look at them if they flash past, especially when you are trying to look at other stuff at the same time. I recommend about 2.5 seconds for each portrait, as opposed to just under one second as you have now.

Another suggestion: Just a very minor quibble. On the picture of the queen holding the son's body, tone down the flames in the background. The drifting smoke is very well done, but the dancing flames tend to draw the eye away from the people, which should be the focal point.

Regardless, what you have done is awesome. I definitely think you and Fynmiir (who is also doing a trailer) should put your heads together.
Prophet

Post by Prophet »

I would suggest that you make the time between to images bigger like discriben above. The time you have more you can fill up with more fight on differenz terrain with different units.

Then i would take away the logo from front and at the and of all fighting scenes the display gets blakc and in a great WHOOMP the logo appears :)
grzywacz
Inactive Developer

Post by grzywacz »

Great work so far, I want to see more! 8) Good job with switching music and special effects, they're gorgeous.
sparr

Post by sparr »

I like this better than Wesmercial.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Runs perfectly fine with Quicktime. Lookin' good so far.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Looks great! Except, maybe, the begin, that is a little odd (IMHO) but as I don't have any good ideo to change it, I just won't complain...
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Strange, but I disagree with each one of the criticisms so far. My only complaint is that it ended too soon and I can't wait to see the rest of it! This would look awesome as an "intro" screen when you start Wesnoth (although I'm sure there would be many technological hurdles involved with that).
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."