Crashes in UTBS

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
temp3600

Crashes in UTBS

Post by temp3600 »

Hello,

I'm experiencing crashes when playing Under The Burning Sun.

I'm using Windows 2000, Wesnoth v. 1.0.2, UTBS v. 1.1.1 1/27/06.

They occur when a character is about to speak and that event was triggered by the death of the last unit of a group of enemies.

In scenario 1 : i go clockwise around the central small island. In round 6, the game crashes after i kill the last enemy of the group and Garak is about to speak. If however at that moment i have already made Xanthos appear, there is no crash.

In scenario 2 : the game crashes after i kill the last enemy of the group attacking Elyssa. Sometimes it crashes just when that group appears and Elyssa is about to speak.

If anyone needs more info, some game saves, or would like me to test some specific situations, just reply what you need and i'll post it.

Thanks in advance !

Michael
Roro

Post by Roro »

I have exactly the same problem, though it's not really reproducible. Yesterday it crashed whenever I killed Garak's last opponent on turn 6, but not today. However it crashed when I killed Xanthos, after the second dialog.

In each case, the error points to a segmentation fault in libpng1.dll.

I have WinXP, Wesnoth 1.1.2 and I run the standard UtBS scenario.
B_real_shadows

Post by B_real_shadows »

In UTBS I'm getting a crash on the 6th Scenario "In the Dwarvs Domain" right after I kill the Dwarf Chieftan. I get an error message about not being able to find the unit "Troll2". The game exits out of the scenario and into the main title screen of Wesnoth. I tried to redownload the campaign but that didn't work. Anyway to fix this?
I am also running version 1.1.2a
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

B_real_shadows wrote:In UTBS I'm getting a crash on the 6th Scenario "In the Dwarvs Domain" right after I kill the Dwarf Chieftan. I get an error message about not being able to find the unit "Troll2". The game exits out of the scenario and into the main title screen of Wesnoth. I tried to redownload the campaign but that didn't work. Anyway to fix this?
Known problem fixed in SVN. You can just change the Troll2 to Troll in the scenario cfg. There might have been more problems but I don't remember.

As for those other random crashes for windows users it seems it's caused by a problem between Photoshop ICC profiles and libpng. Stripping those profiles from the images (for example with convert -strip infile.png outfile.png) should solve that and I was told those profiles don't have any valuable information for us anyway.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
B_real_shadows

Post by B_real_shadows »

I'm still getting the same Problem. Changed the "Troll2" to "Troll" in the file using Microsoft word. Is there another program I should use to change it? I'm also starting the scenario from my quicksave just before I kill the Dwarf Chieftan. Do I have to restart the entire scenario?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

B_real_shadows wrote:I'm still getting the same Problem. Changed the "Troll2" to "Troll" in the file using Microsoft word. Is there another program I should use to change it? I'm also starting the scenario from my quicksave just before I kill the Dwarf Chieftan. Do I have to restart the entire scenario?
It would be safer to use notepad for the change, as word probably screws up the plain-text file (not sure, just probably). And you need to restart the whole scenario, or you may open up the savefile itself and do the same Troll2->Troll conversion there (be sure to change all occurrences). Just make sure that you have set binary saves off in the preferences before you save into the file you're going to edit.
Hanno

Post by Hanno »

Soliton wrote:Known problem fixed in SVN. You can just change the Troll2 to Troll in the scenario cfg. There might have been more problems but I don't remember.
Well, how do you get access to the scenario.cfg for campaigns that are included in the bbuild? I can find those f the campaigns I added on, but not for those that are included.
Thanks for your help.
caranha

Post by caranha »

Hanno wrote:
Well, how do you get access to the scenario.cfg for campaigns that are included in the bbuild?
C -> Program files -> Wesnoth -> data -> campaign -> uttbs
--
Claus Aranha
Mad Scientist
Hanno

Post by Hanno »

This might be true for a PC, but on my Mac, all i can find there is the *additional* campaigns I downloaded from the campaign server.
As UTBS is included in the BUILD in the latest version, I can't find it there.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Hanno wrote:This might be true for a PC, but on my Mac, all i can find there is the *additional* campaigns I downloaded from the campaign server.

Then you've gone through userdata instead. :/
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Hanno

Post by Hanno »

Disto wrote:
Hanno wrote:This might be true for a PC, but on my Mac, all i can find there is the *additional* campaigns I downloaded from the campaign server.

I've gone through

LIbrary>Preferences>Wesnoth>Data>Campaigns

That's the only Campaigns Folder I can find on my hard disk.
Tropico

Post by Tropico »

Dang it I have the same exact 'random windows crash' problem after I finish killing a group of the rocky horror monsters.

Since I don't know how to 'strip' PNG files I guess I'll just put this scenario on the back burner till next version :?
scott

Post by scott »

Hanno wrote:
Disto wrote:

I've gone through

LIbrary>Preferences>Wesnoth>Data>Campaigns

That's the only Campaigns Folder I can find on my hard disk.
All of the game data is located inside the Wesnoth icon. Control-click or right-click on the icon and select "show package contents". Select "contents" > "resources" > data > campaigns. You're there!
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.