The Rise of Wesnoth 17a - The Dragon

Feedback for the mainline campaign The Rise of Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

The Rise of Wesnoth 17a - The Dragon

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

1. 112a hard
2. 9
3. kill dragon, clear as day
4. last errand, most annoying and difficult
5. huge hordes of kamikaze saurians
6. 3 had to reload a lot more then I would have liked
7. There's a giant swarm of enemies... but there are very few towns on the north end of the map to sustain recalling or recruiting a larger number of troops. I started this map with something like 200 gold or so, enough for 9 recalls. That's pretty pitiful compared to how much I faced off against, and not to mention upkeep destroyed my gold reserves. Next scenario with 100g, not looking forward to that.
I almost want to say add about 10 towns around the players castle to improve it.

Non-level 1 casualties:
1 master bowman, 1 halberdier
Should be a lot more, but I was really annoyed at fighting so many with so few troops and did the save load bit a lot.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Skippy

Re: The Rise of Wesnoth: The Dragon

Post by Skippy »

1.1.2a, medium

8 (but it completely trashes your gold so you are SOL if you actually want to go any further)

Clear (reasonable, no, but clear)

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Nice enough story

* Waiting for the dragon to come to me
* Having enough sacrificial units to wear down the dragon - had to sacrifice three or four units (including some lvl.2) to get the dragon once he emerged. High damage and marksman? At least he was 30% defence in the swamp.
* Hitting the Saurians - you just can't go into the swamp. You have to wait for them to come to you otherwise you have no chance of hitting them or surviving

3 - I actually won it after a few gos so it doesn't get the 'Sceptre of Fire' seal of approval

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Tone down those hordes of Saurians. I don't mind the dragon being a nightmare - he's the boss after all. But I have no hope of proceeding further after this one - no gold left. And get all the leaders? Yeah, and pigs might fly out of my hairy ...
wandering_rogue

Post by wandering_rogue »

Easy, v1.0 (current official release)
7. It was my first time fighting saurians.
clear enough. Kill dragon. It would be nice to be told that eliminating all the saurians is rewarded as well. (Isn't this how you get the full gold bonus?)
good.
The skirmishing ability. I had to replay 3 times because at first I play with too few troops and too defensively. The final time I won because I didn't wait for them to come to me and I had enough for 2 strong groups.

The dragon seemed to be much easier... One attack by a Paladin on grasslands reduced it to 19 hp. Then killed it off with a backstab from a thief.
good challenge, but kind of frustratingly hard at first. 8
the dragon could be smarter and use its leadership. It came out too late to be effective.
"Metaphor is richer than reality." -SG
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

1, 1.1.2 medium
2, 9. Annoying. With so many level 2 skirmishers around, and no reasonable terrain, it's almost impossible to cover vulnerable units... that Mage of Light who takes forever to level will not survive the attack of two saurians, which means load.
3, Intellegible.
4, The teasing about being called DragonBane was fun :)
5, keeping units alive, from mage to grand knight.
6, except for the frustration factor which stems from losing tons of gold, and still not having enough units to cover the mages, a 6 I guess.
7, The dragon was stupid as a brick, went down without a fight. Those saurians... well, they are just frustrating. What about making bigger dinos available to the AI, who don't skirmish? As to be able to cover vulnerable units?
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Medium difficulty, version 1.1.5

9/10 - before I figured out how to do it, 6/10 - afterwards

Perfectly

Clear (liked the dragonbane lines).

Scuicidal Skirmishing Saurian Squads.
Found that the key was to use Mermen in the west and a mix of Silver Mages, Iron Maulers and Halbardiers in the east. The dragon was kinda easy. Nailed him with a Grand Knight (who had too much HP for him to kill) then followed up with a Hopilite.

6/10 - not bad, but it had it's frusterating moments.

Get rid of the Mudcrawlers. They are just plain annoying, not a threat, but just get in the way.
Kel

Post by Kel »

Medium, 1.1.5

7-8

Fairly clear, wasn't sure how to trigger the dragon but I figured it out.

Clear, not particularly interesting.

Defending my mages from the skirmishers. I ended up recalling a Royal Guard and a few Pikemen/Halbadiers and creating 6-unit walls around any unit below 40HP.

Around a 7. It was fun toasting the Saurians with my Arch Mages after I got sick of attempting the level with regular mages/red mages. Before I pulled out the AMs, probably around a 4.

Maybe change the terrain a little to make the swamps more navigatable. I ended up having to blast any unit in range with my lvl 3's before they could skirmish around my defenders to kill the mages. It's really hard to set up formations against skirmishers that move twice as well as you do in the terrain.
Lord Jevyan

Post by Lord Jevyan »

(1) 1.0.2 medium difficulty
(2) 8. Too many enemies. They aren't strong but the number is big
(3) Very clear. Kill the Big Bad Dragon when it appears.
(4) Nothing important. Nothing special
(5) Keeping those Lizards away from my base. As they can avoid control zones they can easily get to the fortress and kill Haldric.
(6) 9. Another big battle. Great sadisfaction winning . Nice Boss.
(7) I think the scenario is good so there's nothing i would see changed.
Hasta la vittoria per Wesnoth, siempre!
grfov

Post by grfov »

Medium 1.1.10

9 , it spent me 2 hours just now.

very clear

clear,it should be more intersting if no damned saurians

if I recuit heavily,there will be high upkeep and no money.
if I recuit few, it's hard to win.

2 , 1 if no dragon.I really don't want to play again

change 1 or 2 enemies to other races or give me more towns.I wish I can recuit more than 20 units,not using few units,puting them in a very tight space and moving them very cautiously.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

1)1.1.12, hard(most recently)
2) 9 until I figured out the right strategy(basically one half attacks west, while the other goes right down the middle to the dragon; do not try to capture villages as the saurians are faster than you and fight them as far from their keep as possible.
3)clear, but I did kill all enemies(and visited the dragon cave) and I'm not sure doing that was worthwhile goldwise. The whole problem once you arrive in Wesnoth is that with the Rough landing you do not arrive in Wesnoth with more than 100-well, 113 in A New Land, so Cursed isle first is a must. I did the Dragon next. In all scenaria you need to be very careful with your gold, DON't OVERRECRUIT, but don't lose and hi-level units either!
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

bizzar, hard

also hard

wait for the mega enemy wave and then take care of the dragon would be more appropriate

nice

no gold

2, too many level2 saurians and not enough gold for leveling

more gold (did i say that already?) and give the cpu less gold or less space to recruit, else its not reasonable to play it again.
Isen

Post by Isen »

(1) 1.2.6, Hard

(2) 7 - The difficulty is mainly psychological. Ie, to accept that you ARE going to take considerable casualties, and push in regardless, rather than trying to hold a defensive line around your keep and risking even greater losses.

(3) The dragon comes out by itself, so it's clear enough.

(4) Amusing.

(5) Again, psychological. -28 or whatever upkeep is a painful burden to keep going with.

(6) 6. Sure, after looting the lair and getting the early finish bonus, you're prone to come out with more gold than you came in. But that foreknowledge doesn't help much when you keep sinking further into the negatives.

(7) I think the problem is not here, but stems all the way back to Southbay - lack of merfolk variety. Saurians get healers, ranged and melee units, allowing some degree of flexibility, while you're stuck poking them with your tridents.

R.I.P., Burin. ;_;
mihoshi

Post by mihoshi »

1.3.16 Medium
8. If not for 40% resistance to pierce of spearmen and heavies, that would be nasty.
Clear, though Dragon appeared rather suddenly
Nice. Jessica is witty as usual.
Lot of swamps. Not enough villages nearby. Saving wounded units from saurians. Lack of javelineers.
Less swamps. Slower, less damaghing, but more tough Dwagon. Like, 1.5х less damaging, 3х times more hp to make it more epic. Also, put him on map at start, but sleeping, and/or give some hints when it will awake soon.
allblue_dream

Post by allblue_dream »

1) 1.4 hard

2) 10 (haven't beaten yet)

3) Well, where is the dragon? I really got confused at the beginning, since I was supposed to beat the dragon, but all I got were Saurians... I immediately reloaded the last scenario to make sure I had selected what I meant to select.

4) As always, the most interesting part of the campaign, with Haldric playing the idiot part and Jessica playing the smart part.

5) Haven't finished...It is so uninteresting I may never intend to finish it anyway. But gold is the problem. It always has been. Four enemies and 100 starting gold. Or maybe just bring more units in at the start of the scenario. Anyway, I am intellectually hampered to see how I could beat this scenario with 100 starting gold. I cannot rush--knights cannot go into the mountains; and I cannot play defence. And I don't even have any units to lose in order to finish the level, cuz I don't have spare units...

6) 1-2. I have developed a habit of S/L. The beauty of the probability system of Wesnoth is that you can twist the battle in your favour if you are just patient enough to do the S/L :twisted:

7) Like Isen said, I have always wished for some mermen initiators. But never mind--just give me more gold! Or maybe let my units level up forever so I can actually beat their number with my quality troop?
Interested in how open source people behave :)
F50

Post by F50 »

1.4 medium

4-5, much easier than the beech because I had the gold to do it with. I had also read the first paragraph of the walkthrough which told me to get lots of Royal guards. Very, very useful those. I did lose one of them in the initial rush though.

Quite, it wasn't clear where the dragon was, but that was ok, I figured it out by doing a test run where I sent Jessica to the cave. It would help if the existence of the treasure hoard was made more clear, I got that from the forums here and would've been 200 gold poorer had I not known. That 200 gold can be pretty important if you don't manage to clear out the enemy leaders.

funny, as usual. Especially so in my case since the dragon said

Few, actually. Keeping my men alive, but since I had plenty even that was pretty easy (a little S/L helped too). I sent all my men south (lots of royal guards, an Iron mauler, a Great Mage, two mage recruits, and two merman Hopilites, one of which had the trident), and once one of the leaders died and the other was sending himself upwards to die by the hands of one of my leveled mages, I split my force and sent those who had not gone too deeply into the swamp to kill the other leaders, and the rest of my men gathered villages. While I had less than -200 gold by turn 10, the slow village gold got me up to about -204, the dragon treasure got me to -4, and the bonus at the end got me to 400+ gp. The order in which you do these scenarios and the gold you get from "A new land" (I got up to 149gp) is the trick.

I think the correct order is:

beech (300+), Dragon (400+), troll hole (?), cursed Isle (people say there's lots to get here).

Add some dialog for the existence of the treasure, raise the gp limit to at least 150, even with 250 I couldn't see myself doing very well on this scenario. The Dragon could be more difficult, but no more damaging.

I liked how the radius that woke the dragon increased as time went on. Very clever.