New House Image

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Radic

Post by Radic »

First it was too fuzzy, now its too sharp. I don't get it. Also the image can be scalled down, that is what was done with the image you like.
Engineers rule the world
Radic

Post by Radic »

Sangel wrote:Sorry to say this late, But I think it's a little too sharp now. Antwerp's image is more along the lines I was thinking of - it also fits the bounds of the hex better.
I didn't actually make it so its fits the hex perfectly , it is supposty to be used with the castle patch, maybe you missed that.
Engineers rule the world
Radic

Post by Radic »

How about this.
Engineers rule the world
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

I prefer atwerp's fort to Radic's. Radics is out of scale, there are too many posts and they are too narrow, it all makes the fort seem much smaller that the units. In the above screenshot konrad is towering over a mini-fort. Atwerp's fort on the previous page looked fine to me, much bigger and more life size. And Sangel's right, radic's is a bit too sharp, all the posts are all one color, I prefer the slightly fuzzier Atwerp version. It's hard to quantify why one version is better than another, but hopefully someone can work on a patch to get the camp walls in the game? I think the artwork is virtually done.
Radic

Post by Radic »

atwerps version is a scalled down version of mine? is it not? Also if you read the previous posts someone said that there weren't enough posts, i really am at a loss of words.
Last edited by Radic on April 25th, 2004, 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Engineers rule the world
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Radic wrote:atwerps version is a scalled down version of mine? is it not? Also if you read the previous post turn said that there weren't enough posts, i really am at a loss of words.
are you referring to me? i don't think i ever said there weren't enough posts. i am actually in agreement with C-33 on this. there are too many posts. they problem is there seems to be only one color, a dark brown. you need to add at least one more.
you might have been thinking of sangel when you said that.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Radic

Post by Radic »

yes sorry i edited the post now. Also, i had posted this version just to see what everyone thought about it, i didn't even add the shading, i stated that originally. I understand that people skim through it so no problem.
Engineers rule the world
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I prefer the double door gate, it sounds more like a militaary campwith wide door (even if it is the size of a unit. The scale in proportion to unit is not a major problem... trees from forest are smaller than most units...so do hills and mountains :). I think some variation in hue along thelog to make it looking more like made from wood and some shading (with light on upper right) would help remove the artificial look.
Maybe you shouldd make the top of the logs pointy (i'm not sure of that).
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Radic

Post by Radic »

alright well before I do anymore work I would like everyone to reach a concensus as to what size the wall should be. So please post the Height and width that you would like to see. Examples would be even better. I don't mind spending a couple of days working on it but i would like to know what the requirements are first.
Engineers rule the world
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I think it is more important that the encapment be in scale with other features of the landscape than the units. Specifically it should look good in comparison to castles.
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

Because each person has his own opinion (or more than one per person :)), you may never get a consensus. I think the higher version is better, also with a double door(with hinge on each side). What you need is some variation in the motifs. For example the gate would be better if it didn't look made of the exact same logs than the rest of the wall. Here is my old post of a camp. While it has many defect, I tried to make the logs different from each other (I use a motif of 3 and added randon variation). I also tried to suggest that they were connected by ropes to keep them together...
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
Radic

Post by Radic »

i was playing around with the image to make it less monotonic and this is what i have come up with. Its not the final version by any accounts so please provide comments. The previous ones helped out a lot!
Engineers rule the world
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I really like how you rouded out the logs, they look much better and I dare say, more Wesnothy.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

A definite improvement, I still think the structure should be bigger, it still seems a bit too miniature. I suppose it would help to see a shot of one of these forts next to a castle to compare the scale of the buildings. But I like the rounded logs, it's a much better style.
Radic

Post by Radic »

i agree, in this version i also implemented a rope which was suggested earlier.
Engineers rule the world