The Corsairs have Returned

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Creative Mechanism

Post by Creative Mechanism »

These are very interesting and impressive, especially for an "art newb". I'm curious about how you intend these ships to be used. Are you going to create attack, defense, movement (etc etc) frames for them, or are they going to be used like the current ships in Wesnoth?

How do you intend these ships to interact with the current units?

Good work and good luck. I look forward to seeing more.
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

Creative Mechanism wrote:
Are you going to create attack, defense, movement (etc etc) frames for them, or are they going to be used like the current ships in Wesnoth?
I am not sure. I have certaintly thought about it though. I am not sure how I could create such frames for my ships yet. Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed. :)

How do you intend these ships to interact with the current units?
I was thinking that they would be an opponent of the current Wesnothian style galleons.

I have revamped the Level 2. Here all three are together.[/list]
Attachments
ships-03.png
ships-03.png (196.07 KiB) Viewed 4044 times
Squig

Post by Squig »

I am not technically competent, but i think that the sails on a boat tend to be different that a string of identical masts.

i m not sure i m clear, but to be able to maneuvrate big ships, one usually need sails in different directions.

in addition, bigger boats tend to have several sail on each single mast, in order to be able to modify boat speed as well as to increase each sail's resistance.

these critics are especially targetted at the level 3 unit, since it s hull looks like a galleon one.

toms

Post by toms »

The image is not bad, but in wich poit is it looking evil? :o
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Creative Mechanism

Squig wrote:I am not technically competent, but i think that the sails on a boat tend to be different that a string of identical masts.

i m not sure i m clear, but to be able to maneuvrate big ships, one usually need sails in different directions.

in addition, bigger boats tend to have several sail on each single mast, in order to be able to modify boat speed as well as to increase each sail's resistance.

these critics are especially targetted at the level 3 unit, since it s hull looks like a galleon one.
I don't know...that first picture has a string of pretty identical masts, and the second image looks much more modern than I think (s)he's going for. You might be right, but I like the images as they are. How they need to change, in my opinion, should depend on how they're going to be used. If they're going to be working units, they'll need to be seen from the back as well, and a more complicated mast structure would be hell to draw at this scale without being abe to cover it up with sails.
dthurston

Post by dthurston »

Fynmiir wrote:dthurston and all, i posted a link to a picture of what I think i am going for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Cara ... rtugal.jpg
OK, thanks, I hadn't seen a ship like that before. On the 3-master lateen ship pictured at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Rigging6.png the middle sail is the largest and the rear sail is pretty small; would that add some visual interest to the level 2 unit?

(Also, is gaining levels by adding masts the right thing to do? That would imply the boat is getting bigger. Maybe add more canons to the picture, or fly a skull-and-crossbones flag?)
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

I have missed many comments this day while not at my computer, so I will address what I can in this post. Thanks for them, though!!!!

toms wrote:
The image is not bad, but in wich poit is it looking evil?
I am not quite sure what your question is, but if you mean what did I do to the image to make it look evil was I made the sails and wood darker from the current galleons and made the masts trianlgar.

I don't know...that first picture has a string of pretty identical masts, and the second image looks much more modern than I think (s)he's going for. You might be right, but I like the images as they are. How they need to change, in my opinion, should depend on how they're going to be used. If they're going to be working units, they'll need to be seen from the back as well, and a more complicated mast structure would be hell to draw at this scale without being abe to cover it up with sails.
Not sure what you mean by "working unit?" (it is "he's," but I applaud you for thinking about it :wink:)

dthurston wrote:
On the 3-master lateen ship pictured at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Rigging6.png the middle sail is the largest and the rear sail is pretty small; would that add some visual interest to the level 2 unit?

(Also, is gaining levels by adding masts the right thing to do? That would imply the boat is getting bigger. Maybe add more canons to the picture, or fly a skull-and-crossbones flag?)
Good point. I think that I will change the sails to make the middle one the largest, thanks.

That's the problem. Since the ships would be on the ocean when they are leveling up, they would not just get bigger. But, it would be harder to show level advancement through just adding cannon holes or making a new flag. So i see the problem. I have no ideas as to how to fix it, but if anyone does, please let me know :D
Creative Mechanism

By working unit I mean something that's going to interact like the rest of the units with attacks, etc, instead of a transport like the current ships. The current ships might act like units sometimes, too, but I haven't seen it yet.
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

O! Okay, thanks. :lol:
Squig

Post by Squig »

cannon holes?

is that even supposed to exist?

inconsistency of levelling should not be adressed, imho. lots of other units gain new weapons from levelling, as well as armor and full regen. the fact that a ship does that doesn t seem for me so much impossible to conceive. as the acronym addicts might say: WINR
Fynmiir

Post by Fynmiir »

Okay, i have not done too much new. I made the coloring of all three ships more consistant and made the last sail on the level 2 and 3 smaller. These should be somewhat rotated to that 30 - 40 degrees too. I know the coloring around the fringes of the sails is off, sorry, I will fix it later.
Attachments
ships-04.png
ships-04.png (16.15 KiB) Viewed 3904 times
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

It might just be me, but the level one unit seems to have a bigger hull than both the level two unit and the level three one. Try making it smaller so that the unit gets bigger as it advances as well as getting more masts.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

It might just be me, but the level one unit seems to have a bigger hull than both the level two unit and the level three one. Try making it smaller so that the unit gets bigger as it advances as well as getting more masts.
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

IMO the sails look like metal plates. oO
toms

Post by toms »

XJaPaN wrote:IMO the sails look like metal plates. oO
I already said why.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!