Incomplete Unit Directory

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Skippy wrote:
Zhukov wrote:It's good for newcomers because it doesn't flood them with information, half of which they won't be needing for a long, long time.
Oh, I don't know about that. I'm a newcomer and it's not good for me. I want information when I'm first playing a game. I imagine that many others would feel similarly.
Really?
I based that (possibly incorrect) statement on my own experience when I had just started playing. I was quite glad that it only showed me the units as I needed to know about them. After all, I wasn't interested in the stats of Drakes when I was only fighting Orcs.

Now that I am a fairly familiar with the game I must say I would probably find it irritating.
(Which reminds me, for some reason one day my list decided to suddenly update itself to include almost every unit, including some I had never seen. It's not at all important, but does anyone know why this would happen?)
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I don't think that much is gained by hiding unit information for units that you have not "seen" yet.
JW

Post by JW »

Darth Fool wrote:I don't think that much is gained by hiding unit information for units that you have not "seen" yet.
It also seems like more code than not having the feature. And too much like Pokemon.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Zhukov wrote:(Which reminds me, for some reason one day my list decided to suddenly update itself to include almost every unit, including some I had never seen. It's not at all important, but does anyone know why this would happen?)
This happens if you are using debug mode...
borisblue

Post by borisblue »

I found it annoying when I started playing to. There should not be any dead links imo, for instance i wanted to find out what the White Mage levelled up to and it didn't let me.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I've hated this feature! Many times I need to look up the level 2 version of one of my units so I can decide wheter or not I want to level him up or someone else. Its a neat concept but it horribly hinders the game play for me. All the data I need is online, but now I have to alt-tab out of wesnoth to look it up when it should be available in game. In inneffective and causes me to do MORE work. (Bad Design). I say this is one of the things that needs to be taken out for wesnoth to closer reach perfection :wink:
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Rune

Post by Rune »

I also find this feature very annoying. I played some mulitplayer games with my brothers a while back and we all assumed it was a bug when we couldn't find out what our units would level up to.

What if you add a checkbox in the options which allows you to turn this feature off? That way every one can have it the way they prefer.
JW

Post by JW »

I think at least you should be able to see the stats of the units to which you can level up to so you can plan accordingly.

Is this planned on being changed?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

JW wrote:I think at least you should be able to see the stats of the units to which you can level up to so you can plan accordingly.
IIRC, when you level up and are offered the choice of branches, each has a 'profile' button you can click to see their stats.
XJaPaN

Post by XJaPaN »

I just want to count me to the people who wants to see all the units. Once I was in the same situation that I wanted to look up the stats for a particular unit and couldn't see information about it.
JW

Post by JW »

irrevenant wrote: IIRC, when you level up and are offered the choice of branches, each has a 'profile' button you can click to see their stats.
But I am referring to being able to see that information before that time. Often I want to know what I can level to before I actually level so I can read the battlefield before I make my decision. As it is when that screen pops up you cannot view anything other than it.

In any case, I would prefer full disclosure on all unit stats anyway.
borisblue

Post by borisblue »

Is there any chance that this 'feature' will be dropped? I think we have something very close to a consensus here
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

As a noob, I actually thought that in the default era, lvl 3's were not allowed, because of the broken links. Just adding another vote to the removal of this feature.
Sorry for the meaningless post
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

So... where exactly is the overwhelming support in favor of this idea?
The vast majority seems to think we're better off with it.
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

SmokemJags wrote:So... where exactly is the overwhelming support in favor of this idea?
The vast majority seems to think we're better off with it.
Submit a feature request to gna! and bug people on the Wesnoth IRC channels. That's basically the only way to get something like this done...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm