Encylopedia > Help

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
SmokemJags

Encylopedia > Help

Post by SmokemJags »

This is an old topic I brought up ages ago(sort of) and thought I'd revisit it.
This also encompasses some new stuff.

First off... why do I have to be inside of a mission/scenario to view the 'help' (i want to rename it to encyclopedia) menu? Annoying!
Suggestion: Add a button to the main screen named 'help' or 'encyclopedia'
See the first attached picture.

When you click it, it sends you to the second picture, overlaying the menu on the main screen. If you click close, it would send you back to the main screen.

Also, you'll notice a 'details' button in the first picture.
This ties in with that really old topic of mine about 'where does it say lvl 0 has no zoc'....
For example with the skeleton 'tip' about resistances, if you click the 'details' button it would send you to right to the encylopedia page about resistances, as seen in picture 2.

I'm not too fond of the 'details' button. Would probably be a lot of work for relatively little gain.
I would like to be able to access this menu from the title screen though, so I am strongly in favor of the 'encyclopedia' button.
Attachments
Encyclopedia3.jpg
Encyclopedia3.jpg (77.94 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
Encyclopedia.jpg
Encyclopedia.jpg (91.46 KiB) Viewed 2934 times
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

SmokemJags wrote:This ties in with that really old topic of mine about 'where does it say lvl 0 has no zoc'....
In the Game Manual. But it may not have been the most obvious. Given this, work is underway to renovate the manual. Feel free to contribute at the Improved Manual.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. Thank you for your attention. <National anthem plays.>
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

Is there a section in the improved manual that discusses fog of war and how movement is tied to it?
"A wise man speaks when he has something to say. A fool speaks when he has to say something."
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

SmokemJags wrote:Is there a section in the improved manual that discusses fog of war and how movement is tied to it?
I don't think so. Indeed, I don't think Shroud or Fog of War are really explained anywhere in the documentation and this is an omission that should be remedied. (For example, what is this delay shroud update option and why would I want to use it?)
SmokemJags

Post by SmokemJags »

help -> fog of war section

Each unit clears locations adjacent to those within one turn's move (ignoring zones of control and enemy units)."

Please change to something along the lines of:

A unit's sight is limited by how far they can move(ignoring zones of control and enemy units) with an extension of one hex.

I don't know where to put this suggested change into that new manual you're cooking up.

As for delayed shroud...
When you move a unit with fog on, you can't undo moves. With delayed reveal, I think you're able to undo moves because the exposure of new terrain is 'delayed'.
I think that's what it is... I haven't really tested with it all that much.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

SmokemJags wrote:As for delayed shroud...
When you move a unit with fog on, you can't undo moves. With delayed reveal, I think you're able to undo moves because the exposure of new terrain is 'delayed'.
I think that's what it is... I haven't really tested with it all that much.
That's pretty much it.

Given that undo isn't really discussed in the movement section at the moment I think that is the first order of business. Restrictions on undo would follow naturally with a link to fog and shroud. And then all that remains is to find a home for full discussion of fog and shroud. So much redrafting, so little time...
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I woiuld not spend a lot of time working on the description of Fog of War and visibility at the moment. As soon as I get back to having my computer to be able to compile wesnoth, I plan on testing some significant changes to the way it works.
Skippy

Post by Skippy »

Darth Fool wrote:I woiuld not spend a lot of time working on the description of Fog of War and visibility at the moment. As soon as I get back to having my computer to be able to compile wesnoth, I plan on testing some significant changes to the way it works.
No probs. Just be sure to drop a note into the manual when you have it all worked out. :)
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I'd like to see the help/manual/encyclopedia on the front page too.
The only tricky part is knowing what to do about the unit list, which currently displays according to campaign and which units you've already met.

If the help was on the front page a link from the "tip of the day" to "help", probably would not be too hard, (though not all tips would have a logical place to link to) -- it should probably be an optional part of the "tip"
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

It would be cool to see the help structured as a "Wesnopedia" equivalent to Civilisation 3*'s "Civlopedia".

And yes, I agree it should be available from the front page too.

* It's probably in Civ4 too, but I haven't played that...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

irrevenant wrote:It would be cool to see the help structured as a "Wesnopedia" equivalent to Civilisation 3*'s "Civlopedia".
This idea is about at old as Wesnoth itself...

That's not to say its a bad one, though. ;) Just never been done...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
caranha

Post by caranha »

Hey folks,

I would like to support the idea of a help button in the Title Screen.

One of the translators of my team (who can't speak english very well) asked me to post an idea thread requesting the manual button to be in the main screen. He said that he felt lost as a newbie, taking some time to realize where the manual was.

Good thing the thread already exists ;-)

Cheers,
--
Claus Aranha
Mad Scientist