New Dire-Wolf image?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
toms

Re: Thanks

Post by toms »

Creative Mechanism wrote:If I wanted to suggest these for use within the game (when done and with the other requisite animations), what else would I need to do? Could I change the color for team coloring?
Next thing to work i suggest: Improve the goblin. It will look strange if you advance a goblin knight and suddenly he is looking like this! :?
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Thanks

Post by zookeeper »

Creative Mechanism wrote:If I wanted to suggest these for use within the game (when done and with the other requisite animations), what else would I need to do? Could I change the color for team coloring?
IMHO, the animation is fine. Since the rest, I assume, is essentially just tuning colours and rendering settings it would probably make sense to just position it and the camera to show the default unit image pose the unit is supposed to have, and work on making that look as good and fitting as possible. If it's a success, then the animations should pretty much automatically look right. It'd also be easier to compare it both to the old one and other units in general, if you'd post images of the rider in the default unit image pose.
Creative Mechanism

Front

Post by Creative Mechanism »

Wow, that was helpful.

I see a lot of problems I haven't fixed yet, but I'd still like to hear whatever you can tell me. The ground shadow and problems with the leg anatomy I think I'll fix by hand (since they are frame specific). Thicker lines all around?

This is a poor approximation of the front view, but it might be good enough for now. I'm also including the SE view with the new goblin's head. I've had a horrible time with the head since the angle makes the eyes by hand look ridiculous. Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Attachments
SE.gif
SE.gif (16.23 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
front.png
front.png (2.29 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
original
original
goblin-direwolver.png (1.98 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The wolf definitely needs thicker legs and a bigger head (which could perhaps be held a bit higher) and the goblin obviously needs to be a lot wider. Also, I think it's realistic to assume that some minor details, like eyes, might need to be touched up by hand afterwards, so they might not need be perfect in the rendering. Not sure though, just my guess. IMHO the old image is perfect in terms of size and proportion, so perhaps trying to tweak the model to look as much like the old one as possible would be a good guideline. It might also help to try to tone down the antialiasing a little, since in such a small image it seems to blur things up relatively much. Details like edges would need to show up as bit more refined.

BTW, incredible progress since the first posts, keep it up. :)
Creative Mechanism

Sure, I'll see what I can do about those changes. This seems like a good method, thank you for suggesting it.

As far as the eyes go: I've tried a couple of times to add them by hand, but because of the angle and the pixels available for the head, I haven't been able to fit good eyes on the image. The head is angled in such a way that you should be able to see some of both eyes, but two discernible eyes won't fit on the face (at least not yet). I'll keep working with this.
Attachments
without anti-aliasing
without anti-aliasing
SE-jag.gif (13.48 KiB) Viewed 2727 times
with anti-aliasing
with anti-aliasing
SE.gif (18.35 KiB) Viewed 2727 times
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

hmm
something that might be problematic later on...

one thing you an't control is the movement speed of the unit...

a unit will always take 150ms to go from one hex to the next (multiplied by terrain cost) so you can't configure the mvt speed

this result in the anims crossing the screen at unnatural speeds.

our current wolfrider compensate that by galoping... but yours is walking. I'm afraid the animation would look unnaturaly fast in game.... would it be possible to have him galop ?
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Creative Mechanism

(1) RUNNING: I could certainly do this, it's just a matter of how much time it would take. I've been planning on making a galloping animation to try to finish off the movement directions of the wolf rider, but I'm not happy with what I've been able to come up with. Please check the first page for the galloping animation I put together.

(2) SPEED: I'm not sure the speed will be a problem either. When I've tested it before I set the speed to .01 seconds. The animation is 8 frames, meaning that there should be almost exactly 2 complete cycles from one hex to the other. For some reason, whenever I post my GIFs at this speed, they preview very slowly. They look fine at the right speed on my computer.
(a) NOTE: That this speed works may be something funny about my computer. If I watch carefully it seems to speed up and slow down.

(3) ALSO: please let me know what you think of the anti-aliasing v. no anti-aliasing...and the speed of this animation, as well as anything else that comes to mind.
Attachments
NE.gif
NE.gif (14.28 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
SE.gif
SE.gif (15.22 KiB) Viewed 2586 times
Creative Mechanism

New images continued.

So...I think I'm going to start working on something else now. If there's anything else I can change to improve the images, let me know. Are they good enough for inclusion?
Attachments
N.gif
N.gif (12.08 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
S.gif
S.gif (12.02 KiB) Viewed 2546 times