New Dire-Wolf image?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
JW

Post by JW »

I thought your animations were neat, but didn't like them until you added the outlines. Now they look remarkably better. I'm eagerly waiting your next improvements.
Creative Mechanism

perspective again

Post by Creative Mechanism »

That may certainly be true of the current wolf rider unit.

Jetryl has said:
These are exactly the perspective and foreshortening that we are looking for! Perfect!
It would certainly be possible to change the angle to around 15 degrees, but I am under the impression that the graphics are supposed to be at a 45 degree angle.

I'm not exactly trying to make images that are totally consistent with the current direwolf rider image--much larger wolf, as is in the unit description, different colors, etc--though I intend the end product to look pretty similar.

I'm not really sure whose instructions to follow as to the angle. For my part, a 45 degree angle makes more sense considering the angle of the movement. The units will be moving up and down at about 30 and 90 degrees off the x axis. At 15 degrees off the ground plane I think the unit would look like it was climbing down a steep hill when it went S, SE. Imagine how far down each step would have to travel if the unit is being viewed at 15 degrees.

please let me know as this would mean redoing what I'm currently working on.
Creative Mechanism

Here's a stab at a little more consistency. I'm borrowing both of the heads and did a really shoddy job of darkening the fur. At best it might look like the fur is rippling with movement. It just looks crappy to me, but this technique could still work with a little more time than I've spent.

This is just an example of where I think I'm headed. The heads and body will be more integrated, or completely redrawn together.

Do you think I will need to do my own 2d animation of the heads?

Any other suggestions, comments?
Attachments
SE consistent (more)
SE consistent (more)
walk-SE-consistent.gif (14.75 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The goblin head definitely needs to be redone. It is looking in the wrong direction, after all..

The direwolf head is better, but I would still advise redoing it.

Good work, all around. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

Don't listen to me for directions on perspective. The buildings are at 45°, but I honestly don't think that's the case with the sprites. However, usually Jetryl either knows what he's talking about or has something in mind.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
dthurston

Post by dthurston »

It would certainly be possible to change the angle to around 15 degrees, but I am under the impression that the graphics are supposed to be at a 45 degree angle.
From looking at the standing human images, I don't think 45 degrees is right. Where did you get it from?

I took a look at the existing images for, e.g., the human loyalists or mages to try to figure out their proportions, but they seem to be somewhat ill-proportioned. The Mage image, for instance, is only about 4 heads high, while the average human is about 7 heads high. Maybe this helps make the cartoony look.
Creative Mechanism

Again, I just got this from Jetryl. If you look at page 16 of the New Animations topic Jetryl tells me:
45° Above the ground plane is our perspective.
This is in response to my first attempt at the wolf unit.

Of course I don't have any idea, but for the purposes of movement, it really does make more sense to keep it at around 45 degrees. I'm going to start a new topic to discuss this.
JW

Post by JW »

Creative Mechanism wrote:Again, I just got this from Jetryl. If you look at page 16 of the New Animations topic Jetryl tells me:
45° Above the ground plane is our perspective.
Listen to Jetryl. He is the man. I would personally take his advice over anyone's here on the forums when it concerns art.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'm still waiting to see this pic that Dave promised of saddling up on his dog. That would be the most realistic version, IMO. :lol:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Creative Mechanism

South.

Hmm...I'm having such trouble...
Attachments
South with new faces
South with new faces
walk-S-a.gif (9.63 KiB) Viewed 3121 times
JW

Re: South.

Post by JW »

Creative Mechanism wrote:Hmm...I'm having such trouble...
This one looks pretty darn good too other than the wolf's head and its shadow.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

scott wrote:Don't listen to me for directions on perspective. The buildings are at 45°, but I honestly don't think that's the case with the sprites. However, usually Jetryl either knows what he's talking about or has something in mind.
No, most of the buildings are drawn more from the side than the top, (45º would show the top and front sides both equally)
Jetryls is the man, but not infallible. Here i explain why i believe units should still be drawn from a 0º <-> 15º angle.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
deonjo

Post by deonjo »

doesn't anybody think the last animation makes it look like the wolf is walking backwards?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

deonjo wrote:doesn't anybody think the last animation makes it look like the wolf is walking backwards?
this is only because it looks like he should be moving forward, but is standing still--optical illusion.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Creative Mechanism

This one looks pretty darn good too other than the wolf's head and its shadow.
I agree. I can probably figure out what's going wrong with the shadow, but what's going wrong with the head?