Custom factions and eras

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mediawatchdog

Custom factions and eras

Post by mediawatchdog »

You may think I'm crazy for saying this but I like long drawn out complicated games that take forever to finish. Now that you understand the method in my madness... here goes my suggestion. I realize that most people won't have a use for it, but I'd like to see it made an option for the few who would like it.

I don't know how to modify this game myself- I don't understand programming and it drives me nuts, but I wish the game had a customize feature that allowed you to have a very large map, all kinds of terrain including subterranean, as many players and factions as you want and all of the main factions and mining units associated with most of the eras available for the choosing. i.e. Certain eras have only certain factions that you can choose from. I'd like to see it be made possible to have the option of choosing any faction from any game in a random or ready made map that doesn't have a player number limit. So that for example, the Wild Elves, Elves, Dark Elves, the other major factions, the Saurians and all the summoners and more can play in any era on any map at the same time.

I am being very serious, I enjoy complexity and unending games, so no jokes, even if you're tempted :idea:

Moderator's Note: Please do not create more than one topic about the same subject.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: Custom factions and eras

Post by Soliton »

There is an "All Factions Era" (it's also rather easy to compile all the eras you can find into one) and you've got the map editor the only problem is that you're limited to 9 sides maximum.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

You can also randomly generate large maps (through the mapeditor, or the multiplayer random maps)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
mediawatchdog

Re: Custom factions and eras

Post by mediawatchdog »

Soliton wrote:There is an "All Factions Era" (it's also rather easy to compile all the eras you can find into one) and you've got the map editor the only problem is that you're limited to 9 sides maximum.
Temuchinkhan says the all factions era has bugs in it and I can't figure out how to use the editors properly. I also want to have factions that don't normally go together in other eras like subterranean and have miners, ect
Starglider

Post by Starglider »

Open the file data/multiplayer.cfg in the Wesnoth directory.

Paste this onto the end;

Code: Select all

[era]
    id=era_mediawatchdog
    name= _ "Mediawatchdog's All-Faction Era"

Each faction is defined by a block of text like this;

[multiplayer_side]
        id=Loyalists
        name={MENU_IMG_TXT "human-lieutenant.png" _"Loyalists"}
        ...etc...
    [/multiplayer_side]

Copy and paste all the 'multiplayer_side' blocks (for factions that you want) from earlier in the file, or from other files that you have downloaded, onto the end of multiplayer.cfg. When you have all the factions you want paste this on the end;

[/era]

Then save the file, run the game and you should have the new era available for multiplayer->vs AI games. You can add units to factions by adding the full name of the unit to their 'recruit=...' list.

I recently uploaded a very large multiplayer map you might like in this thread, assuming you have a week or so to play it.
Last edited by Starglider on February 21st, 2006, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My dear sir, the word 'impossible' is not in my spellchecker.
mediawatchdog

I don't know how

Post by mediawatchdog »

I have a map editor program in 1.1 for the mac that does nothing when you select a menu command. I don't know how to get it to altar programs or download the all factions program for this version of the game. I know nothing about how to get to the directory, or cutting pasting, or how to make the thing accept edit commands. I need much more step by step instructions-I'm completely illeterate when it comes to programming which is why I posted my inquiry under several different forum topics only to have most of the other posts mysteriously dissappear within an hour of posting them. This is really frustrating because I seem to have to know something about programming and do it myself. :cry:
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

this isn't actually programming, but part of WML (programming designed for Wesnoth, but very simplified, reletively easy to learn). But the best place for you to have posted it would be the faction and era contributions forum, as this is a question of making a new era.

as for your topics dissapearing, the mods don't like multiple versions of the same topic, so usually they delete all of the ones except the one in the most relevent forum.

you have already been given specific instructions, but to make a new era you must look in the Wesnoth directory, there is no way around it.

and to download the all factions era you go to the campaign server (for version 1.0.2, which Is still accessable from 1.1.x if you are using that, but you need to enter a different name)
Starglider

Post by Starglider »

You don't need the map editor and this isn't programming. Start your favourite text editing program (the built in OS X textedit if nothing else), select 'open file', browse to wherever you installed Wesnoth (if you don't know, open sherlock or press ctrl-f in finder and search for a file called 'wesnoth') and then follow the instructions above.
My dear sir, the word 'impossible' is not in my spellchecker.
mediawatchdog

more questions

Post by mediawatchdog »

Do factions have to be downloaded or does the program understand when you just enter in e.g. "Joe's factions" assuming, that there is a faction defined with that name in the context of the game.

When I went to the folder that contains multiplayer.cfg and opened it it brought me to the map editor and asked if I wanted to install this with the game (Mac OS X). Am I missing something?

what if you want to create a vampire unit and add it to the undead faction?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Re: more questions

Post by Thrawn »

mediawatchdog wrote:
what if you want to create a vampire unit and add it to the undead faction?
go to:
*wesnoth/data/units/-any unit-

[unit]
id=Vampire
name= _ "Vampire"
...change stats, descpition, movement type and all...
[/unit]

save as Vampire.cfg

go to:
*wesnoth/data/multiplayer.cfg

[multiplayer_side]
id=Undead
name={MENU_IMG_TXT "undead-necromancer.png" _"Undead"}
type=Necromancer
leader=Necromancer,Revenant,Deathblade,Bone Shooter,Vampire
recruit=Skeleton,Skeleton Archer,Walking Corpse,Ghost,Vampire Bat,Dark Adept,Ghoul,Vampire
music="wesnoth-3.ogg"
terrain_liked=whHc
[ai]
recruitment_pattern=fighter,fighter,archer,fighter,scout,archer
[/ai]
[/multiplayer_side]
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: more questions

Post by Sapient »

mediawatchdog wrote: When I went to the folder that contains multiplayer.cfg and opened it it brought me to the map editor and asked if I wanted to install this with the game (Mac OS X). Am I missing something?
I don't know much about Mac OS X, but it sounds like your operating system is using the wrong default program to open the file. You need to open it with a text editor program. Can any Mac Users confirm this?
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
scott

Post by scott »

It is a vestigial organ that Sithrandel programmed into the package before the campaign server existed. Previously, .cfg files were linked to the app in such a way that the game automatically installed them. Thus you could download a campaign file from the forum (the only way at the time) and either open it or drop it onto the BFW icon and have the campaign auto-install. It was a nice feature except now it's not necessary and confuses people trying to edit them as text files.

All mac users should select any .cfg file, open the info window for it (cmd-i), and change all files of the type .cfg to open in TextEdit or another text editor. If you don't do that, you can always drag the .cfg file on the the Text Edit icon to open it in TextEdit.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
mediawatchdog

Defined

Post by mediawatchdog »

But does the game have a unit named vampires or do I have to create the ubit and then change it in the text editor?
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Defined

Post by Thrawn »

mediawatchdog wrote:But does the game have a unit named vampires or do I have to create the ubit and then change it in the text editor?
code wrote: [unit]
id=Vampire
name= _ "Vampire"
gender=male
race=undead
image="undead-vampirelady.png"
image_defensive="undead-vampirelady-defend.png"
hitpoints=52
movement_type=undeadfly
movement=8
experience=100
level=3
alignment=chaotic
advanceto=null
{AMLA_TOUGH 3}
cost=44
usage=mixed fighter
unit_description= _ "<insert desciption here>."
get_hit_sound=female-hit.wav
[attack]
name=undead bite
type=blade
range=short
damage=8
number=4
icon=attacks/fangs.png
special=drain
[frame]
begin=-100
end=100
image="undead-vampirelady-attack.png"
[/frame]
[/attack]
[attack]
name=curse
type=pierce
range=long
damage=9
number=2
special=drain
[frame]
begin=-400
end=-200
image="undead-vampirelady-range.png"
halo=halo/blood-halo1.png
halo_x,halo_y=10,-35
[/frame]
[frame]
begin=-200
end=50
image="undead-vampirelady-range.png"
[/frame]
[missile_frame]
begin=-200
end=0
image="projectiles/darkmissile-n.png"
image_diagonal="projectiles/darkmissile-ne.png"
[/missile_frame]
[/attack]
[/unit]
in more recent versions, some of this will look different, but basicaly just take any unit, change its name, id, attacks, and eventually new images if you can, to make it unique.
Or its level, or hp, or moves--its all in the file.
To change resistances and defences from undeadfoot, put
quote="code"]
[resistance]
holy=x
cold=y
etc
[/resistance]
[/quote]
or
code wrote: [defence]
grassland=30
etc
[/defence]
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
mediawatchdog

images

Post by mediawatchdog »

Where are the images located? I found Zombies but not Vampire lady-some of the images have long names

By the way, if I wanted my Vampire to be able to change its bead bitten and drained victims into vampires, how would that be done? Also has anyone heard of a creature in norse myth called a Draugr? It would be great to include something like that in the game