Wesnoth 1v1 League is UP!!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

StRiDaH

Wesnoth 1v1 League is UP!!

Post by StRiDaH »

Spread the word guys, the more members the better the competition. If you haven't signed, than what are you waiting for?

http://www.myleague.com/wesnoth1v1/
ADD IT TO YOUR FAVORITES

Also, we're hiring two position to help out with the league.

1) Ladder Admins
2) Tournament Directors

If you feel you have the right skills for either of these positions then your help is requested. To sign up for a tournament director, click on the link under the TOURNAMENTS portion of the left menu on the ladder site, its called "DIRECTORS", on that page you'll find a link to apply for TD. I'll be handpicking ladder admins who express maturity and good activity within the ladder, its a powerful position.

GL HF

@ StRiDaH
Sea Elf

Post by Sea Elf »

you probably should only make one thread about this topic
I got lost in thought, it was unknown territory.

The Outcasts need your feedback

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9449
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

Hi StRiDaH

I found your idea great but there's something I don't like in the rules.

"# Inactivity

* If you haven't played a match in 21 days you will be automatically removed for inactivity in order to keep the Ladder as dynamic as possible and give everyone a chance to move up.

* Removal for inactivity is completely automated. No exceptions are made to this rule. Our players want an active league full of opponents who can be easily found.

* We offer optional "Gold & Platinum Membership" programs. One of the benefits to these program is the fact that you cannot be purged for inactivity. This program is recommended for frequent travelers or those in the military. Signup information can be found here. "

Offer ? 9,95 ( that is to say 10 ) $ per month to play a free game just because of "inactivity" ?
StRiDaH

Post by StRiDaH »

Not my rule. Thats just myleague.com (casesladder) trying to make money. If you think playing one game every 21 days is too much to ask then clearly you're not cut out for a ladder, dont complain, and dont join, no one's forcing you.

Sea Elf, I posted this once here and once in Multyplayer Dev, I think its gonna be OK.
La_vie_en_Wose
Translator

Post by La_vie_en_Wose »

StRiDaH wrote:Not my rule. Thats just myleague.com (casesladder) trying to make money. If you think playing one game every 21 days is too much to ask then clearly you're not cut out for a ladder, dont complain, and dont join, no one's forcing you.
I find your idea a great one, and it's easy to criticize when you don't do anything ( especially me, I'm merely an user in Wesnoth ), but there is one question I'm asking you :
When someone gets a World Record, is he or she forgotten for he is stopping competition ?
When you play video games, is the ranking erased after 21 days ?
StRiDaH

Post by StRiDaH »

There are record books for the ladder, and you wont be removed from those no matter what. However, just as it is in real life, you cant be #1 at say...tennis, and decide to stop playing for a period of time and expect to hold your rank.
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

You never responded to my offer to arrrange a tourney for March, and instead posted all these rules and stipulations with an application! Which I will now do separately from this. Which at the very least was impolite and smacks of dictatorialism.

Ayway just my 2 cents. And I am going to organize a tournament for March...if you want it to be associated with the ladder I would suggest a more collabrative approach.

EDIT: I deleted much of this post as apperantly some things changed or there were duplicate rules posted or something.

P.S. I suppose I will join the ladder, lets hope it works :)
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

I joined
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

So did I but there is something odd :
If you haven't played a match in 21 days you will be automatically removed for inactivity in order to keep the Ladder as dynamic as possible and give everyone a chance to move up.
There will be times I won't have time to play, or even worse, will be on holiday (during the summer) and won't be able to connect. Isn't there any way to fix this?
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
StRiDaH

Post by StRiDaH »

OK OK OK, I'll change the inactivity rule for non top-ten players to 30 days(formerly 21). That should be acceptable, agreed? If you can't, for some reason, play ONE game in 30 days then just drop me a message through the ladder and i'll figure something out on a personal basis.

And Bec, I want you to direct tournies but the application is mandatory for me to 'accept an application', like literally I have to select from peoples applications. I dont care if you dont answer a single question, just put your name on one and submit the sucker, but be forwarned, there will be a slight learning curve for setting up the tournaments, but the results are awesome, its a great program. Thanks for your help! :)
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

StRiDaH wrote:OK OK OK, I'll change the inactivity rule for non top-ten players to 30 days(formerly 21). That should be acceptable, agreed? If you can't, for some reason, play ONE game in 30 days then just drop me a message through the ladder and i'll figure something out on a personal basis.

And Bec, I want you to direct tournies but the application is mandatory for me to 'accept an application', like literally I have to select from peoples applications. I dont care if you dont answer a single question, just put your name on one and submit the sucker, but be forwarned, there will be a slight learning curve for setting up the tournaments, but the results are awesome, its a great program. Thanks for your help! :)
I don't see why there needs to be any limit for non top-ten players. I can understand requiring it for the top ten, but for everyone else why have one at all (or set it to 3650 days). By their ranking system, it is easy enough to bypass inactive players by just winning against players that are ranked higher than the inactive ones. This means that generally, inactive players will naturally drift downwards in rank overtime. Consider the following rule:
Specific Ranks: It is illegal to refuse matches based on Ladder rank. You may request a specific rank or range when advertising for a challenge, but you may not refuse a valid challenge simply because the challenger is not the rank you are wanting to play.
So, Why have any inactivity limit at all for any but the top ten?
StRiDaH

Post by StRiDaH »

Simple, to promote activity.

Enough about the 30 day limit. I really don't think its going to be an issue, and if I see that multiple members are about to be purged for inactivity near 30 days then i'll probably just raise the inactivity even more so they dont, its not a big issue.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

OK. Well in fact I won't be able to play one game in August, but I'll tell that time.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
JW

Post by JW »

Cool. I just challenged The Raven.
StRiDaH

Post by StRiDaH »

Yea tux, no worries bud, just let me know. ;)

Oh and guys, the easiest way to find a match is by hopping on the Official Server and just asking for ladder matches. Many of the 1.1.1 regulars are on the ladder so its not that tough to find games anymore.