Naming of Humanoid Dragons

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

KK_r wrote:how about mandrake :)
Yes, this could lvl up to a Killer Tomato.
The Eponymous Archon
TuxVader

Post by TuxVader »

Blade-Drakes!
Dark penguin of the sith.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Sigh, this realy ISN'T going anywhere is it? I'm still trying to find a good name other than Drakonian or all those names named yet that I dislike.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Well, we could always go with Draconian/Drakonian. Sure, it doesn't stem from Dragon in any way, but it does mean "unnecessarily brutal" or "without pity", which could well suit these guys. ;)
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Sangel wrote:Well, we could always go with Draconian/Drakonian. Sure, it doesn't stem from Dragon in any way, but it does mean "unnecessarily brutal" or "without pity", which could well suit these guys. ;)
Drakonian does derive from dragon via dragon-> drake [from latin draco) -> drakonian !
Eponymous-Archon

Darth Fool wrote:
Sangel wrote:Well, we could always go with Draconian/Drakonian. Sure, it doesn't stem from Dragon in any way, but it does mean "unnecessarily brutal" or "without pity", which could well suit these guys. ;)
Drakonian does derive from dragon via dragon-> drake [from latin draco) -> drakonian !
The "Drakonian" proposed here may have this origin (though it was spelled with a -c- at the beginning), but the problem is that there is already a word exactly like this.

Draconian, which comes from a Greek proper name, traditionally Latinized as Draco (which can actually be spelled with a -k-, if you prefer, since ancient Greek had no -c-), means "like Draco, the overly punitive law-giver of ancient Athens". It is usually (almost exclusively) used to refer to measures that are overly strict and even violent. For example:

"Applying the death penalty to cases of double-parking is viewed by most people as a draconian measure."

(Oops, didn't I say I was done here? :oops:)
The Eponymous Archon
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Eponymous-Archon wrote:
Darth Fool wrote: Drakonian does derive from dragon via dragon-> drake [from latin draco) -> drakonian !
The "Drakonian" proposed here may have this origin (though it was spelled with a -c- at the beginning), but the problem is that there is already a word exactly like this.

Draconian, which comes from a Greek proper name, traditionally Latinized as Draco (which can actually be spelled with a -k-, if you prefer, since ancient Greek had no -c-), means "like Draco, the overly punitive law-giver of ancient Athens". It is usually (almost exclusively) used to refer to measures that are overly strict and even violent. For example:

"Applying the death penalty to cases of double-parking is viewed by most people as a draconian measure."

(Oops, didn't I say I was done here? :oops:)
draco, the greek, was no doubt named for a dragon:
Το λεξικό βρήκε 1 λέξη.
The dictionary found 1 word.
dragon serpent = δράκων ο
drakon o
from http://www.kypros.org/cgi-bin/lexicon entering dragon in the english to greek with the "ancient greek" check box clicked

so draconian might as well be described as "like Draco, the overly punitive law-giver of ancient Athens, who was named after dragons!"
Eponymous-Archon

Darth Fool wrote:so draconian might as well be described as "like Draco, the overly punitive law-giver of ancient Athens, who was named after dragons!"
No doubt, but what the ancient Greeks meant by "drakon" is more like "snake, serpent" than it is like a Under-the-mountain Tolkienesque dragon.
The Eponymous Archon
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

How about drakes instead of drakonians. Also, very early in the thread someone suggested Dragarians. I like that a lot. Its original, but it still conveys the whole, dragonperson meaning.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Woodwizzle wrote:How about drakes instead of drakonians. Also, very early in the thread someone suggested Dragarians. I like that a lot. Its original, but it still conveys the whole, dragonperson meaning.
drakes has been rejected, for no obvious reason...i think it was just because the creator of these units doesn't want to call them drakes.
Dragarian has the same problem as many of the other suggestions- you just made it up. We shouldn't make up names just because 'they sound cool'.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

why not ?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Boucman wrote:why not ?
Ask E-A that question...i'm not the one who knows the answer. Its jsut a view i have. :)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

turin wrote:drakes has been rejected, for no obvious reason...i think it was just because the creator of these units doesn't want to call them drakes.
Dragarian has the same problem as many of the other suggestions- you just made it up. We shouldn't make up names just because 'they sound cool'.
Well it seems to me that people don't want to use a name like draconian because its used somewhere else, and don't want to use a name like dragon because its too common. Making up names seems to be the last option. Its not impossible to make up a good name either (all names were made up at one point in time) If it conveys the correct meaning I say lets use it! And besides ... Players will see the pictures too, so it'll be obvious that these are dragon-people.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yes, people don't want to use words with the wrong meaning, and they don't want to use word because they are too common...but they are DIFFERENT people. these are the three ideas:

1. use a word like drake, dragon, or any other word that actually means dragon

2. use draconian, because it sounds dragony, and these aren't like real dragons

3. make up a word, because it will sound cool and 1 and 2 will never agree.

I support 1, mainly because i want a word that means something.
The World of Orbivm
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

I support number 3, it all in your mind you know ;)