New Ability: Slayer

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Industriebrot

New Ability: Slayer

Post by Industriebrot »

Well, it bothered me a bit that fights had some sure results like a for example a fighter doing 0,7,14 or 21 damage, so I had an idea to change that a little with an ability i called "Slayer".
(a better names would be gladly appreciated)

The idea is simple, if an unit with this ability would get a little damage bonus for successful hits in a row. The unit loses the bonus if it misses.

An example for a unit with 6-6.

first strike hits: 6 damage
second strike hits:7 damage
third strike hits:8 damage
forth strike misses
fifth strike hits:6 damage
sixth strike hits:7 damage

(You see, the retaliation is not shown here because it would have no effect on the ability.)

Why this idea?

Well I think it adds a little diversity to combat results with a pretty simple idea.

Furthermore it teaches the player to use units properly since this ability has maximum effect if the chance to hit is as high as possible.
(Imagine the upper example if the forth strike would have been successful. The last hit would have done sexy 11 damage points)

It's logical that a soldier is a little puzzled when he's been hit and can not defend like if he is fully prepared. A skilled fighter can easily find those weak points and strike them, dealing more damage.

It's been found in other games, so it's easy to understand. It works similar to combos in fighting games.

it adds a few climaxes to the game, and if you miss, well, you don't really lose anything.

Overpowered?

Well, only few units would have this ability, and the power reduces greatly if the unit has few attacks. A unit with 3 attacks and this ability could only do 3 bonus damage at max . A unit with 4 attacks could do 6 bonus points.

A real battle situation would most likely not be different.

look at this:

6-3

first attack hits: 6 damage
second attack misses
third attack hits: 6 damage

No change at all.

I suggest this ability for units with 3-5 attacks.

Well now, rip it apart.
Der Stein hat keine Hoffnung, etwas anderes zu sein als Stein. Aber durch Zusammenwirken fügt sich einer zum anderen und wird zum Tempel.
[ ] Goethe
[ ] Shakespeare
[ ] Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

I think it'd be a decent weapon special, if not too common. Would obviously have to be kept well away from certain other weapon specials (beserk, marksman, magical).
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

This could fit Duelist and/or Master at Arms well, for example.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Yes. He first tries to see how good his ennemy is, he gains confidence in himself, but then he sees that his ennemy isn't that bad, and looses a little of that confidence. It's a good idea.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Duke Guillermo

Post by Duke Guillermo »

It might be better to simply have the # of damage increase by one each time and have the effects wear off when the user is hit, not when it is blocked. Just seems cleaner to me...
In summation, you're wrong.
Duke Guillermo

Post by Duke Guillermo »

And, I think that the name 'Slayer' doesn't fit. 'Tactician' might be better because the unit is getting better as the fight continues.
In summation, you're wrong.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

The ability seems good, but I don't think "Slayer" is a very good name for it.
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
Industriebrot

Post by Industriebrot »

Here are a bunch of names to consider:

aggresive
Pressure
swift
shatter
concentrate
focus
maim
bloodshed
bash
Der Stein hat keine Hoffnung, etwas anderes zu sein als Stein. Aber durch Zusammenwirken fügt sich einer zum anderen und wird zum Tempel.
[ ] Goethe
[ ] Shakespeare
[ ] Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Dancing.

Seriously - it makes much more sense than these names...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
JW

Post by JW »

Opportunist.

I win.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

personally I like focus...

:D
JW

Post by JW »

Focus would be a great name if it worked like Duke Guillermo said.

If it works like Industriebot says, I still win. :wink:
Belwar

Re: New Ability: Slayer

Post by Belwar »

Industriebrot wrote:Well, it bothered me a bit that fights had some sure results like a for example a fighter doing 0,7,14 or 21 damage, so I had an idea to change that a little with an ability i called "Slayer".
(a better names would be gladly appreciated)

The idea is simple, if an unit with this ability would get a little damage bonus for successful hits in a row. The unit loses the bonus if it misses.

An example for a unit with 6-6.

first strike hits: 6 damage
second strike hits:7 damage
third strike hits:8 damage
forth strike misses
fifth strike hits:6 damage
sixth strike hits:7 damage

(You see, the retaliation is not shown here because it would have no effect on the ability.)

Why this idea?

Well I think it adds a little diversity to combat results with a pretty simple idea.

Furthermore it teaches the player to use units properly since this ability has maximum effect if the chance to hit is as high as possible.
(Imagine the upper example if the forth strike would have been successful. The last hit would have done sexy 11 damage points)

It's logical that a soldier is a little puzzled when he's been hit and can not defend like if he is fully prepared. A skilled fighter can easily find those weak points and strike them, dealing more damage.

It's been found in other games, so it's easy to understand. It works similar to combos in fighting games.

it adds a few climaxes to the game, and if you miss, well, you don't really lose anything.

Overpowered?

Well, only few units would have this ability, and the power reduces greatly if the unit has few attacks. A unit with 3 attacks and this ability could only do 3 bonus damage at max . A unit with 4 attacks could do 6 bonus points.

A real battle situation would most likely not be different.

look at this:

6-3

first attack hits: 6 damage
second attack misses
third attack hits: 6 damage

No change at all.

I suggest this ability for units with 3-5 attacks.

Well now, rip it apart.
make you idea shorter so that us lazy people will read it to post about it (and no i havent read it)
Bivrip!!

plese do not yell at me for any misspelled errors!
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

you're such a selfish ass. you're not my friend anymore....

and a lot of people don't like that attitude.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
Belwar

Post by Belwar »

well you didnt read it either for the same reason you hypocrate!
Bivrip!!

plese do not yell at me for any misspelled errors!