[Historical] Legend of Wesmere (add-on version)

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Please Note: Version 1.0 of Low is out
This respects the string freeze and has some bug fixes,

- whitespace causing Kalenz to remain invisible after
The King must die
-switched to the @campaigns format to avoid the double appearance(thanks sanna)
-two full translations included

Hope it's fun
Dwarven Lord

Post by Dwarven Lord »

Is this the last update? or are you going to make more like 1.1 1.2 ect. Just wondering. 8)
The Dwarven Lord has spoken!
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

There will be more updates in th following areas:
- grouping messages as to reduce the load for translators
-more translations as they come in
-art and graphics(still waiting for those)
-maybe some rebalancing if users think it's too easy/too hard

Other than that the campaign is quite complete
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

And fix those insvisible graphics... black hexes dont look good.

Quick and dirty way to do it in gimp:
- add alpha layer and
- select by colour (black) and
- delete the selection
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Thanks, that too. But I was waiting for an artist to make a proper job of the invisible graphics once and for all.... 8)
Any takers?
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Please note for 1.1:
It seems that the saurian and saurian warriro images are gone. So, you need
to copy them from previous versions and put them in ... /data/dampaigns/Legend_of_Wesmere/images

Also these saurian .cfg units in ...Legend_of_wesmere/units
at least when they're gone
Mustelid

Post by Mustelid »

Played up to the point where I have to install those dern saurians. Pretty nice so far. Thoughts:

Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but Return of the Legions has a first-level Elvish Lord, the Elvish Initiate. It's considerably tougher than the Elvish Fighter, and has a magical attack, so it seems like a more logical starting-point for Kalenz. Looks more distinctive and like a leader unit than a fighter, too.
Elvish Initiate
HP 42 Moves 5 Required XP: 55
sword: blade, melee, 6-4
faerie fire: cold, ranged, magical, 5-3
The first scenario seems too obviously an imitation of the first level of HttT.

Terrain. You're playing elves against orcs, and maps 1 and 3 have gigantic, unbroken forests. This kind of takes away the strategy; you just stay in the trees and turn the orcs into pincushions. The trolls-and-dwarves level is a bit more challenging because the terrain isn't quite so favourable. I think that breaking the woods up with more clearings and hills would make things less straightforward.

In the Ka'lian Under Attack, it might also be an idea to give the orcish leader some villages to fall back on. At present, I just hole up my entire force in the triangular wedge of forest. This gives me five heal-points, and the orcs none. Orcs on grassland attacking elves in forest. It's a massacre.

The dwarf-troll level is better, and a very nice idea - gets you annoyed with those pussyfooting dwarves very effectively. The trouble is that the limited enemy units makes strategy pretty limited. A couple of Rocklobbers, or something nasty in the water, would have made things a bit more varied.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Thanks. Pretty much all campaign start with a "run for your life scenario". HttT, TROW, EI,
and pretty much everything else

You will see later on that Kalenz gets his magical powers in a particular way later on.
It's a key point of the campaign.

The Kalian is your first easy scenario. The first two were supposed to be no picnic
But , do not fear, you will return there to fight the entire orcish army in Elves last stand!
Thanks for the feedback
Santi
unoriginal_username

Council of hard choices

Post by unoriginal_username »

First of all, let me acknowledge the hard work that has gone into this campaign, and thank you for the fun I've had with it.

On a sour note however, I've hit a snafu. At the end of the "Council of hard choices scenario", right after Kalenz says: "We will leave our best troops here, etc .." I end up with the following error message, and the game reverts to the main screen.

"The game could not be loaded: load_game_failed: Invalid starting position (0,0) for the leader of side 4."

I apologize if there's been a fix for this posted earlier, at 10 pages, this topic was too large for my lazy self to read through.

Thanks.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Replace the leader definition with no_leader=yes.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
unoriginal_username

Post by unoriginal_username »

Worked. Thanks.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Well, now this has been fixed so that Low should work with 1.02
(you may still need to include the saurian images and units in /data/campaigns/Legend_of_wesmere/images
and possibily units for LoW to be 1.1 compatible.
I have not playtested at all in 1.1 yet.)

Also, please note that the first scenario has had its dialog redone by db0
who said he did not like the original dialog, so he got a shot at redoing it.
I think this is better now and shall update berlios for the translators.

Also the other changes are lifted figures for the elvish lords and Olurf
(from TROW). Hopefully someone can add a Landar Image(a feisty Avenger will do)....
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

santi wrote:I think this is better now and shall update berlios for the translators.
... ... ... :wink:
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
brasto

Post by brasto »

unoriginal_username wrote:First of all, let me acknowledge the hard work that has gone into this campaign, and thank you for the fun I've had with it.

On a sour note however, I've hit a snafu. At the end of the "Council of hard choices scenario", right after Kalenz says: "We will leave our best troops here, etc .." I end up with the following error message, and the game reverts to the main screen.

"The game could not be loaded: load_game_failed: Invalid starting position (0,0) for the leader of side 4."

I apologize if there's been a fix for this posted earlier, at 10 pages, this topic was too large for my lazy self to read through.

Thanks.
torangan wrote:Replace the leader definition with no_leader=yes.
I this same error, and I'm glad to see a solution, but exactly where and how do I replace the leader definition with no_leader=yes?

I'm using SuSE Linux 10.1 RC1.

Thanks in advance.
Brandon Stout
http://mscis.org
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Are you using the latest version of the campaign? If so, you should not be getting this error. Please specify the version of LOW you're using. Since
LOW is not (yet?) mainline, it should not matter whether you're using Suse 10 or anything else: You presumably downloaded LOW from the campaign server, right? The question is when and what version you downloaded.
Although I have been too buried with work to check,
LOW should also work with Wesnoth 1.1, though it might possibly be unbalanced. So please specify Wesnoth version and LOW version

Thanks for the feedback,
Santi