The dark adept

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
toms

Post by toms »

What about if the DA has a cap instead the hair. Or blank head :P

the necromancer and the lich in the image are great :)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

JW wrote:I really prefer the new Adept so much that I sometimes hate to see it level. Especially since he only gets +2 ranged for the loss of awesome graphics.
I agree - I'm disappointed when I level to a Necromancer now. :)

The new Dark Adept looks cool, but I don't see that there'd be a problem making a more impressive unit for a Necromancer. The Necromancer has a more ornate cloak and a swooshy staff. I'd probably make his cloak darker, too.

And I think the DA looks fine for a level 1 : his clothes are drab and he's unarmed. He's just drawn well on top of that...

P.S. The necromancer also gains a melee attack. The Dark Adept has none.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

toms wrote:What about if the DA has a cap instead the hair. Or blank head :P
the necromancer and the lich in the image are great :)
Agreed. Why isn't that Necromancer in game already? It might need a little firming up as it's a tad pixelated, but it's already a lot better than the current one...
JW

Post by JW »

wayfarer wrote: Image
I hate to say it since the DA turned out so well, but those don't really look that good. They look like a mist of floating pixels... :(
toms

Post by toms »

Wayfarer, I like your style of the capes, but don´t pixel the hair and the face so much... :?

I know that you read this the **st time :( , but that it is!
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Hm how should I say it perhaps something like this I don't care if you like it or not nor will I change the style I'm making graphics especially such comments that they are pixelated as you might have quessed I've heard that enough. I already said it the rest is Jetryl's case if you don't like my graphics you mustn't use it end of discussion.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

I don't think you should change your style of graphics. It's really cool. All I say is that your style clashes with the old units which are very clean and unpixelated (Is that a word?). I also kind of agree that the new DA looks a bit too powerful for a level 1. Perhaps it is, as Sapient said, his pose that makes him look that way...
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber
im the one you think of

Post by im the one you think of »

why is there a spearman with them?
Ssshh! I'm secretly male.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

im the one you think of wrote:why is there a spearman with them?
height comparison--to show they are not too tall. (my guess)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I think the flow on the Dark Adept should be removed, makes him look bigger and more lvl2.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Redeth
Art Contributor

Post by Redeth »

I like the new graphics, they all look great, but since they've got so many little details, it's going to be a real pain to animate them...

I'm not complaining, just stating a fact 8)

Keep them coming!
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Lugo Moll wrote:I don't think you should change your style of graphics. It's really cool. All I say is that your style clashes with the old units which are very clean and unpixelated (Is that a word?).
Personally I prefer the more simple graphics. When I'm in-game I don't want to have to strain and peer at each unit to tell what it is. The current elves, for example, look great and are easily recognisable. God help somebody whose sight is poor or impaired! And those new graphics really do stand out a mile when stood around other older unit graphics, including the more polished ones.

Unless all of the graphics were changed to fit these (which I hope doesn't happen), I'd really prefer to see some toned down versions. They're a nice improvement on the old adept/necromancer graphics in many ways, but they need less detail and more distinct colour areas to fit in.
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

wayfarer wrote:Hm how should I say it perhaps something like this I don't care if you like it or not nor will I change the style I'm making graphics especially such comments that they are pixelated as you might have quessed I've heard that enough. I already said it the rest is Jetryl's case if you don't like my graphics you mustn't use it end of discussion.
I just thought I should say that my critiques isn't against you, it's more against the art developers choice of mixing two quite different graphical styles.

It would be nice if Jetryl or someone responded to this...
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Lugo - It's a work in progress. Necromancer, Lich, etc. are all getting new artwork (as was already mentioned in this thread). Wayfarer wrote: "as you can see the dark adebt has changed so will the rest but yeah I guess in the end it will look something like this"
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Lugo Moll wrote:

It would be nice if Jetryl or someone responded to this...
Why should he actual I should have never posted this stuff too much noise about nothing.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields