Status Table to list unallied villages?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Status Table to list unallied villages?

Post by irrevenant »

The Status table lists how many villages each player has. IMO, it would be useful if it also listed how many unowned villages were left on the map.
Glowing Fish

Post by Glowing Fish »

This is a good idea, and one that should be fairly easy to implement!
Don't go to Glowing Fish for advice, he will say both yes and no.
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

This information should be suppressed if playing with Fog or Shroud.
JW

Post by JW »

I think that with no shroud/fog the enemies gold should also be displayed. The reason being, you can see there income, which is easy to calculate if you count, but you can also calculate how much gold the have if you took the time - though it is not displayed.

I've considered calculating the enemies gold in a scenario where his leader had fought a few turns and was trying to run back to base. I was calculating how many units he could recruit if he made it and whether or not it was worth risking my units on a suicide attack.

Just a thought.
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

JW wrote:I think that with no shroud/fog the enemies gold should also be displayed. The reason being, you can see there income, which is easy to calculate if you count, but you can also calculate how much gold the have if you took the time - though it is not displayed.
In general you don't know what other players' incomes are because there can be side specific base gold values. You won't normally see this in MP games, but you will in campaigns.
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

bruno wrote:there can be side specific base gold values.
this isn't usually intended to confuse the player. You would be able to tell approximately when the AI stops recruiting (AFAIK it recruits whenever possible), and IMO there is no reason to list the complete information instead of only partial and confusing information...
There can also be side-specific base income values, but those are displayed... what is the difference?
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Whether or not the amount of computer player gold should be secret or revealed is really a separate matter that's muddying the waters.

The amount of available villages is revealed already, and there should be no problem displaying it in a more accessible form. I agree that it should be concealed in shroud maps.
Kharn

map maker

Post by Kharn »

the map maker should show total villages count

even better would be a selection box that you drag over an area of the map and it tells you how many villages are in it.

allot of time making maps is spent counting total villages in each area of the map for balance.

i think this would be a fairly simple feature to add and a usefull one too.
Creator of 120+ units Lord of the Rings era and campaign now outdated & lost.
Creator of WWII Battleground Europe mod with 120+ units most with custom wml and animations. Every variable is mathematically derived based on WWII stats such as historical cost & mm armour.