Where is wesnoth headed?

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kharn

Where is wesnoth headed?

Post by Kharn »

Do you have any longterm goals that you work towards? As each version of wesnoth comes out it is bug fixes and balances of units, perhaps some new units or better images on occation.

So basically what might be some big changes in wesnoth that you plan to do in the future?

Will I allways be playing the same version of wesnoth, just more balanced each year?
Creator of 120+ units Lord of the Rings era and campaign now outdated & lost.
Creator of WWII Battleground Europe mod with 120+ units most with custom wml and animations. Every variable is mathematically derived based on WWII stats such as historical cost & mm armour.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

if you're playing 1.0... yes

if you're palying 1.1 no

we keep the wesnoth philosophy... each dev works on what he likes to do, for instance I like to be praised for other people's work that's why I do the external patch inclusion :twisted:

more seriously there are only few features that are considered "must do" even if no developer is currently working on them

- MP campaigns
- redesign the map system to allow more terrains

aprat from that, we'll see
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Kharn

Post by Kharn »

Cool to see what im "getting into".

Any other devs got some ideas?
Creator of WWII Battleground Europe mod with 120+ units most with custom wml and animations. Every variable is mathematically derived based on WWII stats such as historical cost & mm armour.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Look at the BWH thread in the Ideas forum.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Content-wise, there may be some new official campaigns, and it is possible (although relatively unlikely) that some new factions will be added.

The most promising developments, IMHO, are:

- New art. (A LOT, if we can get it all done. Movement animations, death animations, and 4 directional attack animations for every single unit, with no animations being less than 4 frames. Very ambitious.)

- New music. Aleksi and TimothyP are working hard on this.

- New campaigns, factions, etc. Even if they are not implemented into mainline, the campaign server allows easy access to them.

- Multiplayer campaigns (ties in with the previous item.)

There will probably be some other changes, like cleaning up of WML, perhaps some new features (like the currently-being-implemented WML-controlled abilities), etc. But these are the main ones.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

I think we should focus on getting the new art and WML extended while fixing the massive performance hits that [I have observed, at least,] came along with it.

Next it would be nice to focus on the user interface, but as someone mentioned we have a severe lack of GUI programming experience.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I think wesnoth performance is very low, i would like to see it improved. :?
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Tomsik wrote:I think wesnoth performance is very low, i would like to see it improved. :?
Indeed, one would think a sprite-based game with not very GPU/CPU - intensive graphics etc would run smoother on older hardware.
gandalf

Post by gandalf »

I would like to have a switch "toggle animations on/off"
Angband, the ultimate FPS game!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I've said it many time, and I'll say it again...

animations are not a preformence hit...

basically what costs performance is redrawing the image on screen...

and we do that as many time with animation and without

as for the 1.1 speed, there was many (true or imagined) slowdowns in 1.1.1 that have been fixed in svn, could you try it please ?
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Kharn

Post by Kharn »

well i sure as hell some some major changes a while back with game speed in general.

i remember right-clicking to recruit or rename or what ever and accidently hitting unit description, after which i would cuss untill I felt the game actually got the message, and then go downstairs make a hot pocket, watch some family guy episodes, then come up stairs and wait for the description window to finish up loading.

And when you are on a mac with no CTR-ALT-DEL it makes it even more fun.

I in particular dont see much hope in mutiplayer campaigns, i suppose the only way you couuld actually go through the whole campaign was with a friend that you could call in advance to plan when you play.

Now on the other hand if you speak of something where the campaign is universal, like WOW or even something where each person controlls some area of the world of wesnoth and can fight people that are also online and in adjecent territories. Perhaps attempting to controll the entire world would be fun. I could rant all day about the joy of eventually having to turn you elven armies into mountainous regions to defeat orcs, but i see it as needless.

So my question really comes out to be, What exactly would you have in mind for a multiplayer campaign? And how would it work so that people can play on it at the same time?
Ankka

Re: reply

Post by Ankka »

Kharn wrote:And when you are on a mac with no CTR-ALT-DEL it makes it even more fun.
Cmd-Alt-Esc.

(Or "the Apple key" - Option - Esc , or whatever youo want to call them)