Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, I'll start work on the Longbowman on the morrow.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Longbowman has been updated and committed (I left the defend and defend-melee animations unchanged, since they need to be completely redone and I don't know how to do them. I also removed the defend animations from the config; now, the unit will show up as having no defend animations in the units.cgi?missing page.)

Next assignment? (The progression would imply it will be the Bowman. ;) ) It seems to take me around a week to do each of these, probably because of my not working on it as often as I could.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I'd have fixed up the master bowman tonight, but I ended up writing this instead:

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Making_Bow_Animations
READ THIS
The elvish marksman is the standard by which I'd like to revise all other bow frames in the game.

We need, for all bow animations:
1 ranged-standing frame
1 ranged-defense frame
4 ranged attack frames

For the longbowman and masterbowman, the ranged standing/defense frames are not there at all, and they need to be. I was about to say "When I finish revising the Master bowman, I'd like you to propagate the same changes to the longbowman", but after looking at the longbowman, I'll say this:

Give him a proper "ranged-standing" and "ranged defense" frame, which I'd like you to post here for review. The clincher that you introduced is that the longbowman is at a funny angle - a funny angle that just happens to be the right angle for a for a se animation. : )= And I'd rather not waste that. However, we will need to get around to making a ne animation as well, then (eventually). ( ;_; )

Also, look through the LB animation and apply any of the subtle movements I talked about in the tutorial, if they're not already there. The one thing that's goofy about it right now is that the angle of the bow curve is slightly off in the first frame (easier shown than described), and the foot shifts too suddenly - what I think we'll end up doing is having the foot start shifting in the bow-standing frame, and have that bow-standing frame keyed to that individual direction (programmatically, it's basically just WML wired as part of the animation, right now - I'm not sure if the game actually uses it as a special frame).

So leave the feet as you've changed them, but have the foot only half-ways there in the bow-standing and bow-defense frames.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The other bothersome thing to deal with in the longbow animation is that the bow and arms (at least the drawing arm) should be quite higher.

Our perspective is slightly from above, but in the final frames, the arm drawing the bow needs to be really high up on the body like it is in the elvish marksman animation (The old "knock to the ear" adage).

For some reason that I can't fathom, there is random garbage in the edges of a few of the frames you committed. Make sure that stuff isn't in there in the future. I have no idea where that would be coming from.

Here's frame 1 - I don't know if you or I am going to finish this animation, but I do want you to know what I'm doing so that when you do other frames in the future you get them right the first time, m'kay?

The changes I made in it were as follows - the bow got tweaked in shape to fit the perspective, the feet got shifted quite a bit to fit the perspective, especially the rear foot. The boots also got widened to the size that they should be at (which is unrealistic, but this is a videogame), and shaped more smoothly).

I also made this guy two pixels taller. It just looks more correct, and we should propagate this to the rest of the frames. I don't know if it'll be necessary to dive in and do that to the master bowman, but if it is, so be it. Those images are in flux anyways.
Attachments
human-longbowman-bow-se.png
human-longbowman-bow-se.png (1.48 KiB) Viewed 7043 times
human-longbowman-ranged-se-1.png
human-longbowman-ranged-se-1.png (2.52 KiB) Viewed 7046 times
human-longbowman.png
human-longbowman.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 7098 times
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Here are the rest of the frames (Minus the very important bow-defense frame).
Attachments
human-longbowman-ranged-se-2.png
human-longbowman-ranged-se-2.png (2.58 KiB) Viewed 7039 times
human-longbowman-ranged-se-3.png
human-longbowman-ranged-se-3.png (2.58 KiB) Viewed 7038 times
human-longbowman-ranged-se-4.png
human-longbowman-ranged-se-4.png (2.56 KiB) Viewed 7039 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

8) Generally awesome person that he is, wayfarer has posted frames for a south directional bow attack for these guys.

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/download.php?id=6520

It needs some cleanup, but it's 90% of the way there.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:( Finally got back to doing these. My new policy, as stated before, is to upload just the team colored base frames of the units so that other people can port the animations over.

This because I simply cannot do all of that myself - it would take over a year.

Anyways, here is the human leader line. I'll edit into this message when the individual frames have been committed. This raises the difficult question of just how I'm going to do a few of the other human units - namely, I'm somewhat confused about what I'll be doing to the Royal Guard. The Halberdier shouldn't be too difficult, nor the rest of the line..

Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Damn those look cool! The Grand Knight looks especially stunning.
Out of curiosity, why are the General and Marshal so big?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zhukov wrote:Damn those look cool! The Grand Knight looks especially stunning.
Because they are very high-level units, and that helps to easily distinguish them. Besides the point, as I've said earlier, most of our units are getting a bit bigger with the team-color revisions.

The possible exception is the dwarven Dragonguard, which I think will be shortened slightly.
After these revisions are done, racial height differences will be much more prominent than they were before. The dwarves, especially, will be obviously shorter than their human counterparts. We haven't been able to make them that way, because we can't really shrink things without copious loss of image detail.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Sounds good.

Will trolls and ogres be getting a size upgrade?

(I have a feeling Darth Fool won't be too pleased :P)
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Jetryl wrote:
Zhukov wrote:Damn those look cool! The Grand Knight looks especially stunning.
Because they are very high-level units, and that helps to easily distinguish them. Besides the point, as I've said earlier, most of our units are getting a bit bigger with the team-color revisions.
Isn't that a problem? By doing so, all the unit will be at the same size. Ancient woses will look as big as a human (even if that human is a marshalk, it's not normal) or the hexes will have to be bigger.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Tux2B wrote:
Jetryl wrote: Because they are very high-level units, and that helps to easily distinguish them. Besides the point, as I've said earlier, most of our units are getting a bit bigger with the team-color revisions.
Isn't that a problem? By doing so, all the unit will be at the same size. Ancient woses will look as big as a human (even if that human is a marshalk, it's not normal) or the hexes will have to be bigger.
NO THEY WON'T!
THAT'S EXACTLY THE PROBLEM THAT I'M FIXING HERE!
:x

There are very few "Giant Size" units. (ex: ancient wose) These units really should be at a much bigger size that they are now, but we can leave them at the size they currently are until we have a better sprite engine - one that's not based on this stupid tile-based system we have now (e.g. one with real z-buffering). Pardon my vitriol, but I've been continually frustrated with the limitations of our sprite engine, and it would be good for me to practice C++ by coding exactly what I just described.

Basically, by doing these resizes, ALL of the units, except for a very few "giant size" units, will be roughly the correct proportions with each other. The alternative is what we have now, where nearly all the units are the same size.

I've made an executive decision about this, and it is final. Please don't continue to discuss this, it's really frustrating for me - it's like rowing a boat and having someone else row in the opposite direction.
Zhukov wrote:Will trolls and ogres be getting a size upgrade?
Yes. In a big way.
Our trolls are possibly going to be completely redrawn. Neorice is welcome to help with that. (Hint, Hint)

-----

Anyways, I've finished up the human spearman line - I've attached the images here in case anyone wants to do some mild tweaks, or wants to begin cloning these over to the animations. Right now, I'm not going to commit the images until we get a little issue with ifdefs resolved in the cfg files.

Attachments
HumanTCUnits.zip
(25.74 KiB) Downloaded 526 times
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

G## D### these are sweet. And yes, I think that the ogre and most trolls need to be redone to a larger size because of the creeping biggerism that has already taken place. The troll whelps might be able to stay the same size, they are whelps after all. I just don't want the trend to continue. If humans start filling up the whole hex, we may be able to distinguish between them and dwarves, but not between them and ogres.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Jetryl wrote:Anyways, I've finished up the human spearman line - I've attached the images here in case anyone wants to do some mild tweaks, or wants to begin cloning these over to the animations. Right now, I'm not going to commit the images until we get a little issue with ifdefs resolved in the cfg files.

hold on so is the leutenant line being combined with the Spearman one? (which is what the image suggests, although the dwarf is in there to so it might just be for perspective)

apart from that I like them, but the pikeman looks like he is the same size as the spearman, and then it jumps up a size to the Halbadear (spelt wrong), maybe an increase of one or two pixels would be in order.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Trolls, wooh.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag