Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Portraits for Northern Rebirth

Post by Taurus »

I need some new portraits for the characters in Northern Rebirth. Ultimatley I hope to get new portraits for everyone but here are the charcters that I need most immedielty:

Hamel - An very wise, tough grizzled vetrain Dwarvish Lord who till reciently has been trapped in the caves of Knalga fighting an unending war with undead, trolls and orcs.

Camerin - A very powerfull but crazy Arch/Great mage who loves to blow things up.

Father Marcus - A wise exeperienced White Mage (Mage of Light) missionary who - untill recienlty has been a prisonor to an Ancient Lich. He has travelled a lot, knows many people and has much expereince on different lands.

Anita - A beautifull, virtuas, brave, but at times snobish and stuck up, elvish princess (Elvish Sorcerer). Her father holds a high position with the north elves and she has been captured and held for ransom by the orcs.

Elenia - Anita's wild older sister. Elenia is a beautifull elvish Druid who had a strong desire to see the world and set off on her own. She was eventally captured and held prisonor by an Ancient Lich.

Hidel - An elderly elvish marshal who is Anita's longtime gaurdian and mentor. Although he is very wise, he is at times inflicted with the typical elvish snobbishness and superority issues. He was sent by Anita's father to rescue her from the orcs.

Sisal - A lady elvish avenger, Hidel's seccond in command. She is brave and ferocias and will fight to the death if necessary.

Those portraits are my immediate concern. Eventally I was hoping to get portraits for the rest of the main characters.

If you have any portraits on hand, or if you are willing to do some, they would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Here is the rest of the units that I need portraits for -

Tallin: The typical hero steryotype, and also the main character of this campaign. He originally starts out as a peasant but over the course of the campaign Hamel trains him up and he switches over to being a leutinent. He is young - between 20 and 30, and has all that usual hero stuff around him - brave, intelligent, good looking bla bla bla.

Rakshas: A powerfull Orcish Soverign that likes being called, "The Master". He has thrashed enough orcish Warlords into servitute that he poses as a serious threat to the entire northlands. He has a large imagination and delusions of grandour and when combined with his power, makes him a foe to be recconded with.

Malifor: A powerful ancient lich with more delusions of grandour. He weilds vast power over any creature that has died and has been resurecting the long dead defenders of Knalga to carve out an underground empire for himself.

Sister Theta - The deticated wife of Father Marcus (white mage of course). She doesen't quite fit the profile of a saintly subdued holy lady however, as she is very spirited and takes great pleasure in blowing evil creatures to peices as well as occasional theatratical displays of drama.

Stalrag: A Dwarvish Lord who is the leader of the Shinsplitters - a tribe of Dwarvish Ulfserkers (same guy from HttT, in the scenario Hostile Mountains). He has a long standing feud with the mages/liches Ro'Arthian and Ro'Sarthian (see below).

Ro'Arthian: A Great Mage that refuesed to die and reincarnated as an Ancient Lich instead. Him and Ro'Sarthian are powerfull litches that have the ability to controll gryphyons, ogres and trolls. Although him and and his brother are good at heart they have no quams about using dark and evil means to acheive their ends.

Ro'Sarthian: The brother and side kick of Ro'Arthian. He was an Arch Mage untill he was killed and reincarnated as a Demilich. Pretty much the same profile as his brother.
Last edited by Taurus on November 18th, 2006, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
Xandar86

Post by Xandar86 »

So OK. I'm redy to work. What portrait have biggest priority? Anything special about characters? Custom px, or format?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Xandar86 wrote:So OK. I'm redy to work. What portrait have biggest priority? Anything special about characters? Custom px, or format?
j0 - Wesnoth's Art Director here.

First, I'd like to congratulate you on the art in your gallery - you're very good at pencil and ink linework, and your coloring with colored pencils et. al. is very nice as well. :)

I didn't see any use of computer coloring, and it's something that took me a while to figure out. If you'd like any help with that, either by advice, or by me simply coloring things you make, I'll be happy to help out.

Some of the external tutorials listed here might help: http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Art_Tutorials

Format:
Our "standard" format for pictures is 205x205 pixels, matted on a black background (we also have a thin 1px border around the images, which could be copied in from a different image). Great examples of images that follow these rules can be found in the "Heir to the Throne" campaign, or the "Rise of Wesnoth" campaign. These images get saved in the PNG format, not jpegs, because the PNG is perfectly lossless - the picture doesn't get grainier or smeary from compression. A free program that can make these is either:

http://www.gimp.com - for windows or linux
If you have a mac, the built-in "Preview" application can save a PNG image.
(Also, Photoshop after version 6 obviously works, too.)

Things needed:
Campaigns need two things.

• First and foremost they need portraits of the main characters. In making these, feel free to make full-body images - we crop the images right now to put them in-game, but we will have uses for full portraits down the road. As I said above, portraits are best matted onto black for consistency's sake, but feel free to put character portraits on a background for bigger, full-body shots.

• Second, campaigns do quite well with illustrations of the major events in them - story pictures.
Taurus
Inactive Developer

Post by Taurus »

Xandar86 wrote:So OK. I'm redy to work. What portrait have biggest priority? Anything special about characters? Custom px, or format?
Hi Xander. I checked out your webpage and I must say I like your style :) I pretty much listed the characters in order of importance - that is how much they appear in the Campaign. I tried describing the character's roles a bit so whattever image you think would fit the description would be good. As for the technical bit, Jetryl has pretty well explained it all. I myself am not that picky about the format, as I could easily convert one from the other (although I don't claim to be an expert on it). So whichever format you prefer to send them in is good.

Creater of the campaign, "Northern Rebirth"

Compleater of the campaign, "Son of the Black Eye"
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

Man there have been a lot of new artists lately!
Sorry for the meaningless post
Xandar86

Post by Xandar86 »

Hamel full color palette
Attachments
cart1.png
cart1.png (108.39 KiB) Viewed 9609 times
Xandar86

Post by Xandar86 »

Sisal
Attachments
cart2.png
cart2.png (47.5 KiB) Viewed 9589 times
Xandar86

Post by Xandar86 »

Anita
Attachments
cart3.png
cart3.png (35.09 KiB) Viewed 9592 times
Xandar86

Post by Xandar86 »

Elenia
Attachments
cart4.png
cart4.png (22.15 KiB) Viewed 9588 times
Xandar86

Post by Xandar86 »

Camerin
Attachments
cart5.png
cart5.png (38.92 KiB) Viewed 9579 times
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Hey very nice.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

wayfarer wrote:Hey very nice.
Indeed - these in fact exceed what I expected of this artist, based on viewing the gallery. And I expected fairly good work.

Most impressive. :)
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Very good... however, since campaigns are supposed to be rated PG, it might be best to not have almost-nude portraits of elves... ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

Holy cow those rock.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

*bows*
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004