New units

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
turin
Lord of the East

New units

Post by turin »

These are some ideas for units:

1. orcish medicine man => orcish priest doctor
both have heals, advancement has some kind of magic attack. used as a support unit. (i thought of it as a support unit when i was playing orcs and realized they didn't have one).

2. phantom => nightmare OR kludde (=> each uisge)
undead horses, have slows (rationale- wouldn't you be slowed by fear if you encountered a ghostly flying demon-horse?), move 7.
nightmare is fire, powerful at night, kludde is neutral gets dawn+dusk-stalk.

i'm going to do these graphics probably, i want feedback on the idea.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
miyo

Re: New units

Post by miyo »

turin wrote:1. orcish medicine man => orcish priest doctor
Orcs should not have healers.

- Miyo
turin
Lord of the East

Re: New units

Post by turin »

miyo wrote:
turin wrote:1. orcish medicine man => orcish priest doctor
Orcs should not have healers.

- Miyo
just wondering- why not? is there a reason for this?
also, just because the description implies they heal doesn't mean they do. they could just tell the other orcs they heal (the other orcs would probably believe them). they could ACTUALLY have a different specialty.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Orcs should have guys with drums or warhorns that have "Command" but are pretty weak themselves.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

no one said anything about the phantom, which is what i was most interested in here. the orcish priest-doctor was an aferthought (although i still think it would be cool).
here i a picture quickly made of the phantom, although obviously it needs some work.
The World of Orbivm
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I assume it will be spectral, like the Ghost/Wraith/etc? Currently it doesn't look very... well... scary...
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sangel wrote:I assume it will be spectral, like the Ghost/Wraith/etc? Currently it doesn't look very... well... scary...
yes, its going to be spectral. also it is going to be darker and more floating. i might give it evil red eyes... then again, i might save those for the nightmare.
The World of Orbivm
Combatjuan

Post by Combatjuan »

Turin,
I'm of the opinion that the undead need more units, but it seems to me that the kind of units they need are not the faster, weaker type. They already have bats and ghosts, both of which are really fast, and I'm guessing that a phantom nightmare horse would be fast as well. Although, I really like the names "nightmare" and "phantom" as possible unit names. Could the phantom be of something other than a speedy horse, though?

-Charles
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." - Phil. 1:21
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Combatjuan wrote:Turin,
I'm of the opinion that the undead need more units, but it seems to me that the kind of units they need are not the faster, weaker type. They already have bats and ghosts, both of which are really fast, and I'm guessing that a phantom nightmare horse would be fast as well. Although, I really like the names "nightmare" and "phantom" as possible unit names. Could the phantom be of something other than a speedy horse, though?

-Charles
i didn't say anything about speed. i think going 7 is not TOO fast for a somewhat powerful unit. the reason i got this idea is i think that every team should have at least one 'support' unit, that can either slow or heal. one of the reasons rebels are so poewrful is they have a unit that can do both of these. thus i was trying to make a unit that could 1) keep up with the other troops and 2) slow the enemy so its allies could finish it off. this is the idea of a support unit. it needs to go fast because it needs to keep up with the other units.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

turin wrote:
Combatjuan wrote:Turin,

-Charles
i didn't say anything about speed. i think going 7 is not TOO fast for a somewhat powerful unit. the reason i got this idea is i think that every team should have at least one 'support' unit, that can either slow or heal. one of the reasons rebels are so poewrful is they have a unit that can do both of these. thus i was trying to make a unit that could 1) keep up with the other troops and 2) slow the enemy so its allies could finish it off. this is the idea of a support unit. it needs to go fast because it needs to keep up with the other units.
Not all sides need to be alike. I kind of like the fact that there is no real healing unit for the undead (or orcs) and that they have to regain health either through slaughtering local villagers (which is what happens when they sit on a village right?) or have a drain attack.

I also don't think that support units must be fast to keep up with other units. Mages of Light certainly can't move as fast as elvish outriders, etc... In fact, the combination of fast moving and support unit is already very powerful!

Otherwise I think a phantom horse/ nightmare is fine idea
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i didn't say they needed a healing unit, i said they needed a slowing unit. it would make no sense for a phantom to heal.
i also like it that the sides are alike, but i don't like it that undead are at such a large disadvantage due to their lack of support units (same goes for Knalgan Alliance, really). thats one of the reasons i don't like playing them, even in non-multiplayer mode.
The World of Orbivm
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

turin wrote:
Sangel wrote:I assume it will be spectral, like the Ghost/Wraith/etc? Currently it doesn't look very... well... scary...
yes, its going to be spectral. also it is going to be darker and more floating. i might give it evil red eyes... then again, i might save those for the nightmare.
No, save the fiery eyes and hooves for the Nightmare. In fact, the Nightmare could become "unspectral" again, just to make it darker and more evil.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Just if anyone of you want to mess with it. I was working with the idea of a especial undead unit, much like a mounted reaper, but I'm stalled with it, and just working on other units, so if anyone is interested to develop it, here is the horse.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

cobretti wrote:Just if anyone of you want to mess with it. I was working with the idea of a especial undead unit, much like a mounted reaper, but I'm stalled with it, and just working on other units, so if anyone is interested to develop it, here is the horse.
it could be used to replace the Chocobone, which currently looks like a chicken. :)

i might be able to adapt this to make a better phantom, but maybe not.
The World of Orbivm
Arthelorn

Post by Arthelorn »

I think the Chocobone's mount is supposed to look like that.

It certainly looks like an undead chocobo, which are giant, ridable birds, from Final Fantasy, if that was the intent.

(P.S: My first post)