New House Image

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
new_guy

New House Image

Post by new_guy »

well i tried to make a new house, its supposty to be based on a tavern design, i haven't tested in the game but i think it looks prett good.

Post by Guest »

I saw some errors in the first image so i fixed them up. And these are released under GPL.
Radic

Post by Radic »

i just signed up on the forums so the guest is now Radic. Please provide some feedback, this is the first image I have ever created in gimp. I must say its a really nice piece of software, very impressed.
Engineers rule the world
RokStar

Post by RokStar »

Can u make a screenshot of ingame use of the image in different terrain maybe with the other houses nearby... it seems good, but we have to see if it fit well in game :wink:
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Initial reactions, before seeing it in game (or in screenshot):

Perspective and shadow look good.

It seems too far to the left - I think the shadow area falls right up against the mask, and probably slightly outside it. Try moving three or four pixels to the right.

Colours look rather dark - might be worth trying a slightly lighter version.

It's not clear whether it's single or two storey. You could try making it single storey by raising the tops of door and windows, or making it two-storey by adding another row of windows - dormer windows if you are feeling ambitious.
Radic

Post by Radic »

well i was impressed by the in game look, here you decide for yourself.
Last edited by Radic on May 31st, 2004, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Engineers rule the world
Radic

Post by Radic »

I have a question, how do i apply the alpha channel? Also (in game) in some cases the tile under the house was ocean when it should have been forest? What do i need to do to fix this?
Engineers rule the world
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i'll say this- itlooks fine over grassland, over forest it blends in too much with the trees. and we don't really need another grassland village, so i think this might be extraneous. (no offense)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ave

Post by Ave »

It could be good for places which don't give money just heal, you. (inn).

Btw, the swamp needs a real mud adobe, not just a simple repainted house. (not like i could draw one, just an idea).
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

One possibility is to make this village a random alternative to the normal human village, for some variety. (the game already supports this)

Another possibility is that this could be used if scenario designers want to make a 'special' building for their scenario.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming

Post by Guest »

no offense taken, this was my first try, i will try to incorporate some changes so it fits well with different tiles, also i will try to add some complexity.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Actually, when I get around to creating my campaign, I'd like to have a multi-tile "village" with a few different houses, as it would really fit the theme of the campaign. This looks quite promising. :)
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Radic

Post by Radic »

Well i played around with the color of the roof and here is what i came up with.

I also moved the house to the right by 4 pixels, and fixed some little pixel mistakes.
Last edited by Radic on May 31st, 2004, 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Engineers rule the world
Radic

Post by Radic »

Any suggestions? I was wondering if a tent would be usefull for anyone, i am thinking about making it.
Engineers rule the world
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

Radic wrote:Any suggestions? I was wondering if a tent would be usefull for anyone, i am thinking about making it.
A tent would be very useful for my Assassin Campaign.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry