Castle patch, now 0.1.0 [Was: Castle patch, version 0.0.1]

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

A little patch that adds comments to the getBuiltTerrain() function :

http://www.anathas.org/ayin/wesnoth/cas ... .0.3.patch

The patch is against the latest CVS version of display.cpp
Frank

Re: I assume it's not supposed to look like this...

Post by Frank »

Frank wrote:It doesn't seem to work correctly on powerpc. I'll submit a bug on savanah, and maybe try to find what's wrong.
It was rather simple. See attached patch (also submitted to bug #8543)

Frank

(edit : resubmit the patch, first attachment didn't work because of filename rules...)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I'm committing the patch, but really, people should give their compiler options to make sure that type 'char' is signed.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Could the patch be modified so that the Keep always has a ring of turrets around it, even when surrounded by castle? This, plus other graphical changes (colour, perhaps taller turrets if that'd work) would seem a decent way to signal "this is the keep".
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Loriel

Disable option/method ?

Post by Loriel »

Whilst this is a great improvement in most cases, there are a few scenarios where it would be useful to disable it.

For example, drawing castle walls and turrets round the starting hex in "Inside the Tower" in the Undead campaign spoils the atmosphere.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Dave wrote:I'm committing the patch, but really, people should give their compiler options to make sure that type 'char' is signed.

David
Possibly, but shouldn't configure test for it then ?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Frank wrote:
Dave wrote:I'm committing the patch, but really, people should give their compiler options to make sure that type 'char' is signed.

David
Possibly, but shouldn't configure test for it then ?
I'll talk to ziberpunk about it :)
Loriel wrote: Whilst this is a great improvement in most cases, there are a few scenarios where it would be useful to disable it.

For example, drawing castle walls and turrets round the starting hex in "Inside the Tower" in the Undead campaign spoils the atmosphere.
We've been discussing a way to have different-look castles for different situations. This would be one such situation where we'd use some completely different look.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

a variation that could be used for castles, or it could be for the keep to distinguish it (OK, probably not)

http://lsimmons.net/joe/castlebuilding.png
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Just wondering, is there any way to get this to give the border images for terrains other than castle? if i make the image equal the same thing for the new terrain, it still doesn't do it...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Can we get rid of the brown dirt boder for castles now? They're not needed anymore.
Integral

Post by Integral »

Unfortunately, you can't assume that char is signed if you want to write portable C++ code. Even just using gcc on Linux, code compiled on arm, powerpc, and s390 will use an unsigned char by default (this information is from the bug report I received back when I didn't know this :) )

Daniel
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Integral wrote:
Unfortunately, you can't assume that char is signed if you want to write portable C++ code. Even just using gcc on Linux, code compiled on arm, powerpc, and s390 will use an unsigned char by default (this information is from the bug report I received back when I didn't know this :) )
Are there options on these systems to make char signed?

David
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

turin wrote:Just wondering, is there any way to get this to give the border images for terrains other than castle?
Yup, it will in the next version (along with the ability to have dynamically-built keeps.)

Just be patient, I just have to test it, and to make a sample image to demonstrate keep building.
Ayin
Inactive Developer

Post by Ayin »

Dave wrote:Are there options on these systems to make char signed?
There is the "-fsigned-char " option for GCC that does the trick, but surely the real option is to grep for "char" declarations, and to explicitly declare "signed char" on the code.
Woodwizzle wrote:Can we get rid of the brown dirt boder for castles now? They're not needed anymore.
That's true, they are not.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

actually, i woul,d prefer to keep the brown border, IF it was expanded so that it went beyond the castle. it looks kind of cool having mound of brown dirt around the castle- it makes it look like it is on a hill.
The World of Orbivm