New castle grapchics (?)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

I will brighten up a bit the castle and I have started polishing the keep graphics. The keep graphics I'm working on will correspond the my castle graphics in angles, brightness and in textures.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

pekka wrote:I will brighten up a bit the castle and I have started polishing the keep graphics. The keep graphics I'm working on will correspond the my castle graphics in angles, brightness and in textures.
Ok, sounds good.
toms

Post by toms »

It will look better if you change the floor too, I think.

But it´s already good :roll:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
pravin

Post by pravin »

I loved the evil castle and the green slime like swamp :D
toms

Post by toms »

Yeah, the swamp is really good :)
I would like it as terrain :wink:
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
freim

Post by freim »

pekka, I hope you didn't disappear completely...

I'm eager to get this one in, and we probably have enough in this thread to piece together something decent.

The last gfx pekka posted need to be made a bit lighter, then the keep needs some adjustment to fit.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

I'm still lurking in the forums and I'm going to finish the castle/keep graphics. Its just the fact that I've been busy In the University lately. I have already started adjusting the keep graphics to the castle. Namely the wall angles and the wall texture polishing. I thought to try to redraw also the roof of the keep. No offence, but the current keep edit reminds me of some kind of dessert or an ice-cream dish... :)
Last edited by pekka on December 7th, 2005, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freim

Post by freim »

pekka wrote:I'm still lurking in the forums and I'm going to finish the castle/keep graphics. Its just the fact that I've been busy In the University lately..
Great to hear. Then I can work on something else :)
Disto

Post by Disto »

yobbo wrote:Keeps.

I can tone down the shadows if this was too much. Please try it in game before passing judgement, though :).

Now it's someone else's turn to do all the ruins ;).
Well what happened to this project, it's not in the new screenshots, and they do look poor compared to other terrains.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
hurleybird

Post by hurleybird »

Agreed. The old tiles stick out like a sore thumb.
freim

Post by freim »

Well, pekka said he has been busy, but that he will finish it. So, IIRWIIR :)
Disto

Post by Disto »

Ok, there is Jetryl's version, which would be a cool stand-in.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
the 3rd Zar

persective

Post by the 3rd Zar »

We should have a couple diferent styles of castle animation available. :!:
Some of the newer campaigns have gotten a lot more realistic graphics while there are still some that keep closer to anime. Just a thought.
If I were human, I believe my response would be, "Go to Hell"... If I were human. ~ Spock
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

Hmm, I just read over this thread again and it looks like I never pointed out a few things I did when I amalgamated Jetryl's and pekka's work to make tiles.

[*] To get the castle tiles to work with the keeps I had to increase the size of the wall by 3 or so pixels. Otherwise the keep towers stood too far up the hex (as the keep tower base must be aligned with the normal tower base).

[*] The keep-keep walls were a different height again, I think I added another layer of bricks. I can't remember if this was necessary, or if it just looked better.

Of course, what I didn't do was polish everything. Especially the wall textures needed work.

Pekka, if you're polishing up the wall textures, it might be a lot easier to use my tiles as a template for things like wall-size and positioning. That way keep-tile positioning won't be a problem when you come to it. In quite a few places there was only a leeway of 1 or 2 pixels.

If you don't like doing all the positioning, I did actually have a fairly efficient system of doing it. It's not too hard to churn out all the tiles if I have all the different tower and wall pieces.

I suppose I put a fair amount of effort into making the shadows consistent, too. They were all underlays, so reusable.
halleck

Post by halleck »

i liked the swamp but the castle, not so much...
it is very good but i dont think it fits with the wesnoth art "style"(?) very much :) :|
Screw it... I can go without a sig.