Silent forest (orc campaign)

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ave

Silent forest (orc campaign)

Post by Ave »

Any tips how to win this one? The southern opponent isn't that tough, but the eastern one (Lucile) spawns a lot of opponents. Fightning elves in a forest is not cakewalk :)
Loriel

Re: Silent forest (orc campaign)

Post by Loriel »

Ave wrote:Any tips how to win this one? The southern opponent isn't that tough, but the eastern one (Lucile) spawns a lot of opponents. Fightning elves in a forest is not cakewalk :)
Remember that you can also win by removing all elves from west of the river, you don't need to kill the leaders.
Ave

Post by Ave »

OH, i thought i have to remove them from both of the sides :)
Doh, i had to kill only one more on the west side, hehe.
cynic

Re: Silent forest (orc campaign)

Post by cynic »

Loriel wrote:
Ave wrote:Any tips how to win this one? The southern opponent isn't that tough, but the eastern one (Lucile) spawns a lot of opponents. Fightning elves in a forest is not cakewalk :)
Remember that you can also win by removing all elves from west of the river, you don't need to kill the leaders.
I've been stuck on this scenario since 6.99.4 (or something like that), but I think I have a strategy that works, finally.

Basically, I replayed Desert of Death without recalling any units, using the shamen to kill the scorpions, then running across the desert with Gruu establishing a ZoC and letting him crush all the bandits. This leaves me with 157 gold to start silent forest.

I then recall 5-6 troll warriors and 2 orcish warlords, and set up a troll "net" on the left side of the river. The elves from the east come across and sit in the river when they attack you, which allows you to counterattack at 70%.

The only problem is, I can't seem to win the scenario! I've killed the southern leader and moved all my troops to the east bank, with all the troops from the east leader also being on that bank, and I don't win. I've also tried taking over all the villages on the west bank, with no luck.

I'm certainly no expert at scenario programming, but the scenario file appears to be missing an [endlevel] tag. Is this a problem? Even if it is, I should still get the messages that accompany the scenario ending, right?
Ave

Post by Ave »

I see major parts of the end condition commented out in the scenario file.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i don't think you can win by just killing all units west of the river.:) that was probably a misunderstanding in the scenario objectives.

(yes, i am stuck on it also)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

It was originally coded to win by killing all the "west bank" elves (as well as by the usual method of killing the leaders), but that code is currently commented out.

We'll have to wait for Benj to finish writing and revising the scenario to see whether the "clear the west bank" method works.
cynic

Post by cynic »

turin wrote:i don't think you can win by just killing all units west of the river.:) that was probably a misunderstanding in the scenario objectives.

(yes, i am stuck on it also)
The old version specifically said, "kill all elves west of the bork river", and the victory conditions were not commented out (though it did not have an endlevel tag either).

I mucked with the save file a little, got the victory recorded, and moved on to the next level, where Shan Taug the Smug gets a whopping 62 income per turn (that's 4.5 wolf riders or 5 orcish grunts, every turn). So, my guess is that the last two scenarios are not really done yet, and we should just wait for 0.7.3 or for benj to announce that they are consumable.
benj

Post by benj »

cynic wrote:I mucked with the save file a little, got the victory recorded, and moved on to the next level, where Shan Taug the Smug gets a whopping 62 income per turn (that's 4.5 wolf riders or 5 orcish grunts, every turn). So, my guess is that the last two scenarios are not really done yet, and we should just wait for 0.7.3 or for benj to announce that they are consumable.
Well, the last two scenarios are not entirelly finished, but I changed them so that they can be included even if that changes objectives. I thought they could be playable that way, but as the designer, what is obvious to others is not obvious to me. :-)

I'll make that in 0.7.3 they are really playable and finished. The last two scenarios are being written also.

Many thanks to all for your feedback on the campaign. :-D
telly

Post by telly »

Smaug is quite easy really. You just have to have a decent enough amount of gold to recall piles of trolls and rush across the map to bash him before he can recruit enough units to be a bother.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

telly wrote:Smaug is quite easy really. You just have to have a decent enough amount of gold to recall piles of trolls and rush across the map to bash him before he can recruit enough units to be a bother.
i have not tried this, but it looks like it will work.

one problem i have found is he does not use all of his gold. sometimes he will only recruit one wolf rider per turn.

All in all, the level was fairly easy, and i got a troll whelp up to a troll warrior (although he started with 20/25 XP). i also got 2 others up to troll warrior, a goblin knight to a direwolver, a wolf rider to a pillager, and a orcish warrrior to warlord.
it was an easy level on easy difficulty, i'm not sure about the others though.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
cynic

Post by cynic »

telly wrote:Smaug is quite easy really. You just have to have a decent enough amount of gold to recall piles of trolls and rush across the map to bash him before he can recruit enough units to be a bother.
Hmm. On the medium level, I was forced to spend all my gold on the previous scenario (Silent Forest) almost immediately, keeping me at negative income almost the whole time.

How many trolls is "piles"? I've got eight warriors and a troll, in addition to using the shamen sparingly, and I'm still getting smushed like grape.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

silent forest strategy

Post by santi »

Well on Silent forest you should stay as clear of forests as possible, so
my main force attacked Lucile from the north, crossing the river in a region with plains hence avoiding the
middle road thru the forest. Once the elves(which unintelligently fought
and lost for the village in the northeast of the river, instead of staying in the forest) sent all their reinforcements to meet the advancing force from the north, a second force crossed the river at center and attacked
through the forest, which was now empty. The southern commander
was left for last. I wish this could be improved though, cause at Shan Taum I 'm hurting for gold