New way of presenting the Wesnoth History

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

New way of presenting the Wesnoth History

Post by turin »

This seems to me to be a better way of presenting Wesnoth's history. What is everyone's opinion on it?
Attachments
History_of_Wesnoth_by_Region.html.gz
ungzip and view using a web browser
(4.98 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I think it's good idea, it just need some colours and stuff.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

why can't I download these things, I click on them and it comes up with a new window with loads of code type stuff at the side and there are random characters at the side.
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Ranger M - Browser?

I like it. I like it a lot. It lets you see where material can be added. :twisted:
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Tomsik wrote:I think it's good idea, it just need some colours and stuff.
Well, yeah... it doesn't have a CSS file. This is just the HTML.

If we could get some dates for the events in A New Order, etc, that would be great. Right now, all I have to go by is the rather vague description on the wiki - which is why I haven't included them in the timeline yet.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Oh, and while we're on the subject...

Can someone give me the sources for these entries in the History?:
23 YW

* Haldric sends General Aldar west with a portion of the Wesnoth army, to aid the Elves.
* The Orcs in the eastern lands are defeated.
This seems like a non-sequitur. He sends an army west, but the orcs in the eastern lands are defeated? If no campaign references this event (and I know of none that does), I might just remove it from the wiki.
161-164 YW

* The newly crowned king sought to make safe once and for all the wildlands that separated the human cities surrounding Weldyn and the coastal regions of Elensefar.
* The grand army of Wesnoth, personally led by the High Council of Archmagi, destroyed all enemies residing within Wesnoth.
* The city-state of Elensefar was formally united to the kingdom and settlements rapidly spread.

164-176 YW

* During this twelve year span, the western fortress of Halstead was erected in the very heart of the wilderlands.

199 YW

* Emboldened by the far-reaching arm of Halstead's protection, settlement in the west explodes
* The cities of Aldril and Carcyn grow to become major cities, the first as an important port due to its position on the Bay of Pearls, and the second as a stop on the road to Elensefar and military outpost along the Great River
* Settlers from Carcyn cross the Great River to establish the first settlements north of it
Where did all this stuff about Halstead come from? I have a vague memory of a campaign about Halstead, but none of the campaigns listed as sources mention it, AFAIK.

Unlike the first entry, though, this seems like a logical historical event, so if I can't find a source I won't remove it.
250 YW

* Urug-Telfar attacks the lake atop mount Eregonor and pillages the surounding areas.
* The Elvish Heroes Kalenz and Glatrid are sent to defeat Urug-Telfar.
* Kalenz and Glatrid are successful in destroying the encamped Orcish forces.
This was probably one of the Challenges. Does anyone still have on their computer the Challenges? If not, since this historical event seems really unimportant (and doesn't fit with the Wesnoth Geography - where the heck is there a lake atop mount Eregonor?), I'll remove it.
350 YW

* Fractioning of kingdom caused by death of Haldric IV.
* Elensefar remains a province of Wesnoth but exerts increasing independence due to isolation.
* Treaty between lord of Elensefar and king of Wesnoth signed.
This seems to me like a good setting for a campaign... but I don't have any idea where this came from. Did Kamahawk or Shade or someone make it up?
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Halstead is talked about in Liberty.

I am using Konqueror
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, so it it is just referenced in Liberty? Interesting...

Here is the newest version of the timetable. Now that it has an 'era summary', it has all the information, and more, that the WesnothHistory page has. ;)
Attachments
History_of_Wesnoth_by_Region.html.gz
(7.85 KiB) Downloaded 494 times
The World of Orbivm
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

will you put it in the wiki or on w.w.o when you're done ?
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

turin wrote:OK, so it it is just referenced in Liberty? Interesting...
Actually, IIRC you have to assault Halstead in the final or penultimate scenario, so it's more than just a reference. At least, Scott used Wercator to make a map of Halstead. ;-)
Author of Wercator
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

yeah in the last scenario you destroy it
scott

Post by scott »

Hello,

The info about Halstead is part of a story sequence in Liberty. I remember when the "fractioning of the kingdom" stuff was added - it was set as a placeholder without any campaign supporting it. You could probably search to forum for "Golden Age" to get more details.

If there's nothing specifically wrong with the history from the challenges, I say keep it. The history should be above the body of campaigns. It provides service to campaigns but does not require them for support.

Next, the region-specific history is a decent idea, but the proposed implementation looks more like a textbook appendix than something you would actually want to read. Rather, consider making a separate document for each major region similar to how the geography is done (same page or separate pages - either way).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

what someone (who is cleverer than me) could do would be to make an interactive map with the history of different areas in a box to the side when you hover you're mouse over them. would be good becuse peopel would look at it (the words interactive map on a website tend to make people look at it), and people would read it because it isn't in just text format
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Is this a typo?
- The cities of Aldril and Carcyn grow to become major cities; Carcyn as an important port on the Bay of Pearls, Aldril as a stop on the road to Elensefar and military outpost along the Great River
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

nice (only just seen because still cannot download)

I THINK (although I could be wrong) that a typo is a spelling or grammer mistake made because you are typeing (i.e typing P instead of O because they are next to eachother, or it could just be a spelling or grammer mistake.

[EDIT] Sorry for this one, misread earlier post, I thought it said 'what is a typo?'
Last edited by Ranger M on December 19th, 2005, 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.