New campaign : The Restoration of Wesnoth

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

taz

Post by taz »

Version 0.2 now available on the server.

Normally the campaign should work on Linux (version 0.1 did not due to case sensitive issues).

Fixed the bug on the “Meeting the dwarves� scenario (and its alternative scenario) so the player looses if her/his main character is killed.

Fixed some typo, (including the ubiquitous “ennemy� typo which had 2 “n� instead of 1)

Modified some units stats in (one of the 2) last scenario for balance purpose

Modified slightly the scenario “The forest of Glyn� for balance purpose.
taz

Post by taz »

torangan wrote:Don't forget to commit it into WesCamp, this will also give you bug reports for spelling / grammar errors. (Once people start to translate your campaign.)
Could you please advise how to proceed ?
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Follow the instructions behind the link in my signature and ask if you don't understand something.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
taz

Post by taz »

torangan wrote:Follow the instructions behind the link in my signature and ask if you don't understand something.
Thanks ! :)
It seems a bit complicated to me.
I can do a French translation of the campaign ;) but I think we’ll have to wait till the campaign reaches at least version 1.0 before thinking seriously about it.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

taz wrote:It seems a bit complicated to me.
I've heard that often but so far we always managed to sort the problems out. In case of OS X users I've got to rely on the help of others OS X users but for Windows or Linux I can explain you everything you need to know. As soon as you've done it once it's very easy to keep everything running.
Just drop me a mail with more concrete problems.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
taz

Post by taz »

torangan wrote:
taz wrote:It seems a bit complicated to me.
I've heard that often but so far we always managed to sort the problems out. In case of OS X users I've got to rely on the help of others OS X users but for Windows or Linux I can explain you everything you need to know. As soon as you've done it once it's very easy to keep everything running.
Just drop me a mail with more concrete problems.
Thanks your support :)
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Spoiler:
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
szopen

Post by szopen »

BTW, wonder how this campaign and ANO (described somehow mistakingly in "New Blood" on http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothHist ... _Invasions ) would fit together well. ANO describes civil war after Mal-Ravanal invasion which ended in fragmentation of Wesnoth, and it is set some 300 years after Mal-Ravanal - while invasions itself would be some three generations earlier, that is some in 800 YW.
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

blackjack wrote:
Spoiler:
I thought by "use" it meant to "rule" using...
If white was black and black was white, what would happen to zebra crossings?
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Emmanovi wrote:
blackjack wrote:
Spoiler:
I thought by "use" it meant to "rule" using...
[BIG SPOILER] I am referring to the conversation when Rodrik challenges Gowan to prove he is really Konrad III... Dacyn says that this can be accomplished by having Gowan wiled the sceptre... [/spoiler]
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:?

There was a huge debate about demons in Wesnoth a while ago, with the conclusion that they just didn't fit with Wesnoth. I agreed with that side. IMHO, having demons in Wesnoth is a very bad idea. As is the stuff about different "dimensions", and with Dacyn shouting out the names of random magical artifacts as he casts his spells. I especially dislike your use of the term "ancient gods". In Wesnoth, there are no gods. There is no religion at all, just a kind of philosophy-school like that of the ancient greeks.

I don't know if there is any way you could resolve the use of demons in this campaign. It doesn't look like it to me. But I think that if you don't, the campaign will stick out like a sore thumb in the World of Wesnoth.

And about your use of the character Dacyn: First of all, he's over 100 years old at the time of this campaign. And, unlike Delfador, he was never much of a warrior (he's more of a mystic). So it makes little sense to me to have him running around and fighting people. If you really want to have Dacyn as a character, you should have him be a weak unit, about the strength of a level 1 unit (although he should have a level 2 or 3 magic holy attack), and make him level 5 (to keep with the strange tradition of making old wise guys level 5).

I also found some of the scenario objectives confusing. I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to do in most of them.

So, all in all, I'm not a huge fan of this campaign... although part of that is that I think it conflicts with my vision of the character of Dacyn and the nature of Mal-Ravanal's undead-ness too much.

Blackjack: in the version currently on the server, it is said that Delfador enchanted the Sceptre before he died, making it so only the true heir could wield the sceptre.

Oh, and before I forget: szopen, would you mind giving a few more dates on the history page? Make the "New Blood" era description more like the descriptions of other eras. (I'd also like if quartex or someone would do this for "After the Fall".)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

what is the new blood era?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

You could just LOOK AT THE WIKI PAGE AND FIND OUT. :evil:

See, I don't have a problem with people having high posts counts. (I do, after all). But I really dislike it when people accumulate a high post count by asking idiotic questions that they could answer themselves with a few seconds of thought.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

what is the wiki page?

(sorry VERY new don't know most stuff)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It is forgiveable that you don't know where the wiki page is, but it is NOT forgiveable that you didn't bother to read the thread, where szopen linked to it earlier.
szopen wrote:BTW, wonder how this campaign and ANO (described somehow mistakingly in "New Blood" on http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesnothHist ... _Invasions ) would fit together well. ANO describes civil war after Mal-Ravanal invasion which ended in fragmentation of Wesnoth, and it is set some 300 years after Mal-Ravanal - while invasions itself would be some three generations earlier, that is some in 800 YW.
The World of Orbivm