Applying graphic design to present AMLA

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Applying graphic design to present AMLA

Post by guest »

I didn't want to resurrect the thread on "Applying graphic design to the info bar", so I decided to create a new topic. I tried to come up with a simple way to represent AMLA'ed units, to replace the red "DFool hearts".

I tried to draw a "proof-of-concept", but it seems I am lacking in technical skills. I will have to describe the idea, instead.

Representing the AMLA-status (by which I specifically mean, how many times a unit has AMLA'ed) in a clear & concise way would probably be "nice". However, it is not terribly useful / needed information, so using lots of space for this information seems unnecessary. (I have aired some views about AMLA-status in these two threads: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... light=amla, http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... light=amla.)

The idea is, as follows:
- Instead of representing them as distinct icons, they could be presented as "stars" in the top-right corner of the unit image.
- A 1-star unit would have AMLA'ed once, 2-star twice, etc. A 5-star constellation could represent all units that have AMLA'ed 5 or more times.
- The amla-statusX.png (where X=1,2,3,4,5) could be overlaid on top of the unit image in the info bar.
- I considered the size of the stars: 5*5 pixels would probably be enough to be distinguishable in-game, whereas 3*3 pixels would not. 4*4 - not sure. As mentioned, I tried to draw these, and copy it over to show a 3-star grand marshal and a 1-star Konrad, but was lacking in technical skills, as of today. If 5*5, an 18*18 pixel area could be needed for a 5-star constellation (with the top row and rightmost column being left empty). I'm thinking of playing cards for the shapes of constellations.

A few questions:
- Does a unit WML field such as "amla_status=x" (where x = how many times the unit has AMLA'ed) already exist? And can it be inserted into scenario special units, such as Lord Kaylan?
- DarthFool: I seem to recall you saying that overlaying an image over another in the status bar is not simple / doable? Do I recall correctly? What would implementing this require?
- Eleazar / yobbo: How would this look? How many pixels would you need for the "stars"? (Could 18*18 be spared, out of 72*72? Would 15*15 or 16*16 suffice?) How would the stars look like, in-game?
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Re: Applying graphic design to present AMLA

Post by Darth Fool »

guest wrote:
A few questions:
- Does a unit WML field such as "amla_status=x" (where x = how many times the unit has AMLA'ed) already exist? And can it be inserted into scenario special units, such as Lord Kaylan?
Not as you are describing it. It is possible to add amla to scenario special units however. You just need to add the appropriate modification to the unit.
- DarthFool: I seem to recall you saying that overlaying an image over another in the status bar is not simple / doable? Do I recall correctly? What would implementing this require?
Some significant code changes. One might be able to kludge something quickly, but to do it right and in a maintainable way is a bit of work. I have a few ideas on how to do it, but as it would only be used in a few places, it is pretty low on my priority list.
- Eleazar / yobbo: How would this look? How many pixels would you need for the "stars"? (Could 18*18 be spared, out of 72*72? Would 15*15 or 16*16 suffice?) How would the stars look like, in-game?
Well, I think it would be best to see if it can be done in 12x12. Then it could be used to replace the current graphics. Eleazer might have other ideas.

Re: Applying graphic design to present AMLA

Post by guest »

Hello!
Darth Fool wrote:
guest wrote: A few questions:
Not as you are describing it.
guest wrote: DarthFool: I seem to recall you saying that overlaying an image over another in the status bar is not simple / doable? Do I recall correctly? What would implementing this require?
Some significant code changes. One might be able to kludge something quickly, but to do it right and in a maintainable way is a bit of work. I have a few ideas on how to do it, but as it would only be used in a few places, it is pretty low on my priority list.
Thank you for the considered response. A way to identify how many times a unit has AMLA'ed would be needed, if we are to have "1-star, 2-star, etc." units.

Darth Fool wrote:It is possible to add amla to scenario special units however. You just need to add the appropriate modification to the unit.
I have now taken the time to look at the appropriate wiki page, and know now how to do this. Thank you.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Wait... how does the possibility to control the number of times a particular AMLA is allowed (for AMLA_TOUGH, it is, IIRC, allowed 100 times) if the number of times a unit has already AMLAed isn't available?

Or did I misunderstand Dfool's answer?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

turin wrote:Wait... how does the possibility to control the number of times a particular AMLA is allowed (for AMLA_TOUGH, it is, IIRC, allowed 100 times) if the number of times a unit has already AMLAed isn't available?

Or did I misunderstand Dfool's answer?

roughly speaking, AMLA is done as a modification of the unit. The number of AMLA modifications of a particular type is then counted by the code to determine how many AMLA_TOUGHs have been applied.