Flight to Freedom (drake campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dwarven Lord

Post by Dwarven Lord »

:o Woops i just ckecked and i dont have the save, sorry. I will probably need to play the entire campaign again ughhh. I might just wait untill you post an update for you campaign before i try it again.
The Dwarven Lord has spoken!
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Dwarven Lord wrote:I can do that but i will need to be told how to turn off the binary saves. I dont know how to do that.
It's in the preferences menu, under advanced.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I know it's been overdue for over a month, but here it is. I've finally got the underground scenarios balanced, but there are so many changes (and so little time to debug) that I have had to release a beta. Hopefully, unless any major bugs are found, I'll finalize FtF 3.0 in a week.

In the meantime, PLEASE reply if you find any bugs.

MadMax

Post by MadMax »

12/2/05
UPDATE:
version 3.0

FtF 3.0 finally released!

Many changes across the board, far too many to list, but here are the major changes (including those of the 3.0 beta):
storyline changes
Rebellion enhanced
underground scenarios balanced
bug fixes, dialogue changes in Landfall

EDIT: FTF 3.0 IS DEFECTIVE, USE 3.0.1 INSTEAD!
Last edited by MadMax on December 3rd, 2005, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Hi,

two things I noticed off hand that are broken in the 1.1-svn(trunk) version in your campaign:
Ghosts now have drain on their melee attack which probably makes the "The Manor" scenario unbeatable. (I suggest removing the ghosts completely on easy and maybe make the spears a ranged attack on the harder levels, or remake the scenario completely because I think it's not very fun to play)
There is now stricter checking of leader positions. This means scenarios are broken where leaders were placed outside the map for some reason. I noticed this first with "The Open Ocean" scenario, I didn't test any further. I don't know that much about WML but i think you are supposed to use the no_leader attribute to achieve the same behaviour as before.

Also I played the beta version (on first look it didn't seem to have changed in the final version) of the Underground scenario on hard and found it to be rather impossible to beat. The one hex passage in the south to the green dwarf is too easy to hold for the dwarf.
Actually I did beat the scenario with a "1 xp to level" unit which luckily sneaked through the passage and advanced on the green dwarven king and made his forces retreat to go protect their king. I don't think that is a reasonable strategy to expect from the player even on hard, especially as it heavily relies on the flaws of the current ai (which might change in the near future). I suggest widening the passage or give another (maybe hidden?) possible route to the green dwarf.
Important to note is that I haven't tried very much to just push through the passage with many high level units as that would have probably resulted in heavy losses because of the bad defense and possible leveling the dwarves in the process, it might work though. If it's the intent of this scenario to be very hard so that you may loose many high level units this might be ok.
I also didn't try to let the dwarf through and beat him somewhere where it's easier to swarm him (as far as I'm concerned that would also rely to much on the current ai flaws but I guess any scenario does that in some way anyway).

I assume similar issues might come up in "The River of Skulls" scenario I haven't played it through with the new version yet though.

On a related note, congrats on the nice campaign you made and the effort you put in to rebalance it! :D

PS: I didn't read much of this thread, I hope I didn't bring up issues already covered.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

12/3/05
UPDATE:
version 3.0.1

game-killing bug in Landfall fixed (map was not sent)
map error in Open Ocean fixed

Soliton: Try letting the green dwarves through the chokepoint and pounding them at a better location. Once you have taken out enough of the army, charge in with high-level units to take out the leader. And don't be afraid to assassinate leaders, you don't have to wipe out the entire opposing army to win.

Open Ocean was actually intended to have a starting point for leader 2, but I removed it a while back. I have added it in 3.0.1.

As for the ghosts, could I base them on the difficulty of the scenario? On easy, they would be nonexistent. Medium would have half of the ghosts as hard, although hard still won't have as many as they do now.

lu_zero

Post by lu_zero »

I tried again and I got the same problem. I could try to restart the previous scenario maybe.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

lu_zero wrote:I tried again and I got the same problem. I could try to restart the previous scenario maybe.
Did you try it from Landfall?

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

I have a question then: I've been playing a version of FtF downloaded on Nov 23rd (I don't have the version, but should be pre-3.0, right?). I'm plodding thorough the second underground scenario, and even after I explore the lava river fully, still nothing happens, which I'm assuming has to do with whatever was changed in the new version.

If I download the updated version, will my current save still work on that map, or would I have to re-start the campaign? I have a save on my current status (around turn 80) and a backup on turn 1, would either of them work?

Cheers.
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

Rorschach wrote:I have a question then: I've been playing a version of FtF downloaded on Nov 23rd (I don't have the version, but should be pre-3.0, right?). I'm plodding thorough the second underground scenario, and even after I explore the lava river fully, still nothing happens, which I'm assuming has to do with whatever was changed in the new version.

If I download the updated version, will my current save still work on that map, or would I have to re-start the campaign? I have a save on my current status (around turn 80) and a backup on turn 1, would either of them work?

Cheers.
What version of Wesnoth are you using? Also, did the scenario objectives change as you explored the cave? If so, then you need to move Malakar to the western edge of the lava river.

As for the saves, a save after the beginning of the scenario will not work, as it stores a copy of the scenario's code. You need a beginning-of-scenario save, like the one that you can save after you finish a level. You shouldn't have to restart the campaign, if anything, you'd just have to replay Underground, and you can use any saves of Underground.

Also, is the turn limit large enough? If you are on turn 80, I am wondering if it is too low.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

I'm using Wesnoth 1.0.1 (last time I checked I checked 1.0.2 wasn't out for Win yet, and I didn't get around to d/l it now that it is, I'm on dial up :P), and yes, the objectives changed along the way, currently it is "explore the river".

(possible SPOILERS?)

Actually, I explored the entire river with other units, but only tried going with Malakar to the eastern edge, due to the naga leader there (I did that on a trial, after the turn 80 save)

As for the turn limit, it will be ok, at least for me, I just don't know if I played faster or slower than average on that scenario: I did take my time killing all the dwarven leader on the way, sending out 4 separate parties to attack faster (4-5 units each, mostly leveled up), but on the other hand I abused a lot of save/loading to find my way faster (explored ahead then loaded to take a straight path). As of turn 80, all the enemy leaders that remain are the white and grey dwarves and the naga, and I have Malakar standing by the web on the edge of the river, so I should have plenty of time to reach the objective.

Thanks for the tip on solving the scenario. Guess I'll finish underground as it is, then use theend of scenario save to play the updated version from then on. Cheers!

PS: Ouch, that was a nasty spider!!!
MadMax

Post by MadMax »

If the objectives are changing, it should be working fine, and you don't need to restart. And IIRC, killing every enemy will do you no good, Malakar must be moved.

Also, PLEASE keep sending feedback, as I really need feedback on the underground scenarios.

peseta

BUG? Malakar lost in scenario "Drake Escape"

Post by peseta »

Hello, i'm playing the campaing, right after finishing "Lanfall" the only unit i start with in "Drake Escape" is the pirate (Kawg i think), Malakar is not there so i cannot recruit any units, i replayed landfall but it happends again.
I use wesnoth 1.0.2 and last version of the Flight for Freedom campaing (actualized today version 3.0.1).
For debug porpouses, i put down here a link to download a save at the start of landfall, a save almost finishing landfall and a save with "Drake Escape" started without Malakar.
http://www.telecable.es/personales/nico1/saves.rar
Thanks in advance
MadMax

Re: BUG? Malakar lost in scenario "Drake Escape"

Post by MadMax »

peseta wrote:Hello, i'm playing the campaing, right after finishing "Lanfall" the only unit i start with in "Drake Escape" is the pirate (Kawg i think), Malakar is not there so i cannot recruit any units, i replayed landfall but it happends again.
I use wesnoth 1.0.2 and last version of the Flight for Freedom campaing (actualized today version 3.0.1).
For debug porpouses, i put down here a link to download a save at the start of landfall, a save almost finishing landfall and a save with "Drake Escape" started without Malakar.
http://www.telecable.es/personales/nico1/saves.rar
Thanks in advance
I'm sorry, but you need to save in uncompressed format for me to be able to interpret it (turn "binary saves" off in the Advanced section of Wesnoth Preferences).

peseta

Re: BUG? Malakar lost in scenario "Drake Escape"

Post by peseta »

MadMax wrote:I'm sorry, but you need to save in uncompressed format for me to be able to interpret it (turn "binary saves" off in the Advanced section of Wesnoth Preferences).
Hello and thanks MaxMax, the same files in plain text is now on the same link http://www.telecable.es/personales/nico1/saves.rar

Greetings