Campaign: Invasion of Arendia

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

No even cut down it is too big, the message says that the max size allowed to be attached is 512 KB, the campaign is 4.6 MB However 4.4 MB of that is images I have attached the scenarios without the most of the images so now it is small enough. However alot of portraits and images are missing so they will not appear.

Any suggestions for amounts of gold, income or turns in the difficultys will be greatly apprechiated, at the moment only the 2st scenario has different difficultys and those were to basically make a small difference at the begging of the campaign, the rest is based on what I think is sutable for normal, although if you disagree don't hesitate to tell me.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Does the download work? Has anyone used it yet? Could some one tell me weather it works (particularly if you have windows or Mac) and what you think so far
scott

Post by scott »

Would you like me to publish this for you and send you back the passphrase? It appeared to work fine, but I only played a little bit into the second scenario. Some of the filenames have spaces in them, and there are some minor spelling/grammar errors. There is another error that I'm trying to track down as well. Do you intend for the campaign to be compatible with 1.0.x or 1.1.x? There are some WML features in 1.1 that will eventually make 1.0 campaigns and 1.1+ campaigns incompatible. Since 1.0 should be around for a long time, then that might be the better choice for reaching an audience.

If you have linux, try typing this from the command line:

Code: Select all

perl -v
if that works, you can try this:

perl -e "print \"hello\n\""
If those work, the command line tools should work for you, but only if you're really motivated to mess with it.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Ranger M wrote:I have got Lunix not windows but I have no Idea wat pearl is or how to find it on my laptop. I did a search when you mentioned it but it didn't find any files called pearl, This might just be because my laptop is slow, but I did leave it for a while
It's more because you tried to correct a spelling error where there is none. Perl is perl and not a pearl. It's a scripting language like Python and installed on just about every linux system. It's hard to get along without it.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
silvermane

Post by silvermane »

Sorry to nitpick, but for me Arendia is a name of kingdom in the fantasy novels of David Eddings (Belgariad/Malloreon) and thus it is hard to fit relate the name to Wesnoth. Not only that, but there might be legal issues as well.

The same can be probably said of the Isle of Anduin (except it's a river, not an isle, in the original source).
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

silvermane wrote:Sorry to nitpick, but for me Arendia is a name of kingdom in the fantasy novels of David Eddings (Belgariad/Malloreon) and thus it is hard to fit relate the name to Wesnoth. Not only that, but there might be legal issues as well.

The same can be probably said of the Isle of Anduin (except it's a river, not an isle, in the original source).
Although I have read those books I didn't realise that it was the same name I could change it later but It would require time and probably cause an error (It took me long enough to change it from the origional name I gave it to what it is now, and that caused a whole host of errors that took about an hour to find and fix)

Also I would like scott to publish it but the version I sent out has a pbl file with a passphrase in it already, (This was a mistake) so could you delete that file before you publish it so that the passphrase is different, otherwise eveyone will know it.

When I looked at the message for the changes It said to move the defancive immage to the defensive tag (fair enough) But how do I specify to use one image when attacked normally, and one when attacked by ranged.
scott

Post by scott »

If there is a different name you would like to use, now is the time to do it before the campaign is published. After that, the only way to change the directory name is by deleting the campaign.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I will keep it as it is and then put in the new name in the next version

also any hints on what I mentioned earlier, I need to know to upgrade it to 1.1. and does anyone know why the main character reth, doesn't keep the benefits of his previous advancemant when you level him up, (or was I imagining it?)

[edit] finally I have just realised that in the fourth scenario (midnight raiding) I was intending to fix a problem but never got round to It. I will soon be putting in a new version and anyone who wants to use it should wait before finishing that scenario (I should have it done by tonight)
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I discovered an error in the scenario midnight raiding and I don't understand why it occurs. At the begging Matt is supposed to say

'But still don't underestimate them because that could be your downfall. If we take too long and it becomes day they will have the advantage.'

However instead Sir Hoaxly (the enemy commander) says it. I cannot understand why this is happening as the command line says this

[message]
		Description=Matt
		image=portraits/Matt.png
		message= _ "But still don't underestimate them because that could be your downfall. If we take too long and it becomes day they will have the advantage."
		[/message]
If anyone can work it out can they pm me or post it here.

Also I have edited that level so that you can't just walk up to the enemy commanders and attack them they now notice you when you get too close. Just replace the old file with this one
JNisse

Post by JNisse »

It should be description instead of Description, just a small letter instead of a capital.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Thanks
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I have now put in difficulty settings (but havn't made them downloadable yet) in all of the scenarios so far and have ajusted some other so that the AI does specific things, this is because I am in the middle of playtesting it and have realised just how unbelivably easy it is so far, so alot of you are probably finding it too easy and boring. However again if any of you have any suggestions about difficultys (e.g the enemy need more gold on level 4 for hard or they arn't recruiting enough people, etc.) then please tell me.

The version I will put on the campaign server on wednesday will have the difficultys so please try to tell me before then.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

could anyone even remotely skilled at art,(you're bound to be better than me) help me with a couple of portraits and images.

currently I am using a only slightly modified version of the brigand image for the raider unit that I created, if anyone could make a better one it would be greatly appreciated.

I also need some portraits for Matt, Tom and Reth. at the moment Matt and Toms portraits are necromancer ones from the dark hoards as they were the closest thing I could find to what I wanted (apart from the ones which I have used for Turlin and the two black hand leaders). And Reth doesn't have one (although if there is a portrait for the Rangers out there I will gladly use it to begin with, at least until someone sends another in.)

:D

I have also found another message that isn't appearing which I cannot explain (and I'm shure it's not a capital letter this time)

[message]
		description=Hushnak
		image=portraits/orc-warlord.png
		message= _ "No, now that their gone I'll kill all of you."
		[/message]
Any solutions?
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Tonight or early tomorrow morning I will be putting the 0.0.1 version of this campaign on the server, it is a bit of a shame that nobody has worked out a fix yet, or even thought of any art or graphics that I requested (not even one reply or mention of it in any of the Topics that I have posted or by pm).

So for now the rouge mages portraits will stay as the necromancer ones, Reth won't even get one, and the raider will still look like a tacky version of the brigand.

However the campaign will now actually be a challenge (with hard versions that take me about five tries, but I'm not very good.) and an easy version I haven't tested yet. There is even a seriously hard level if you make the wrong cowardly choice later (that'll teach you to be a coward, well in the later games because at the moment it is the last finished level, so I would reccomend doing the cowardly thing on Turlins fall, then you get another scenario.)
Last edited by Ranger M on December 13th, 2005, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scott

Post by scott »

I wouldn't expect much art to roll in until the campaign is finsihed. A lot of campaigns try to get off the ground and don't, and of those that do only some are worthwhile. If you prove that your campaign is in the last category then you can expect to have some help. Just focus on making the campaign good and the rest will fall into place later.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.