wow there is an update on main page!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

niranbd

wow there is an update on main page!

Post by niranbd »

i likes those pictures from the Wesnoth 1.1-svn version! i cant wait to see all those changes in action :P

but i have a question about the mountion-can you walk thourgh them like in the water and grass or no? they look kinda weird :D
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

The mountains are great, but I can imagine someone going on this page and seeing that there is a great screenshot and then be disappointed because 1.1 isn't out yet...
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Ravenheart

Post by Ravenheart »

In my opinion i think that they look a bit sketchy and rough, grainy and flat. A deeper more contrasted look would be better i think.
silentoutpost.net • my moosic
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Ravenheart wrote:they look a bit sketchy and rough, grainy and flat. A deeper more contrasted look would be better i think.
Huh? Are you referring to the new image http://www.wesnoth.org/images/sshots/we ... lfador.jpg or the old one? If the new one, then I really don't understand these comments.
This quote is not attributable to Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

ott wrote:
Ravenheart wrote:they look a bit sketchy and rough, grainy and flat. A deeper more contrasted look would be better i think.
Huh? Are you referring to the new image http://www.wesnoth.org/images/sshots/we ... lfador.jpg or the old one? If the new one, then I really don't understand these comments.
I think the mountains look a little flat, but I'm more concerned about the hills. They just look like bumpy patches of earth. And they look even worse with units on them (Which isn't to say I could do better, mind you).

I'd also agree that it's probably unwise using SVN shots for the front page. In a 'coming soon' section, sure. But where it is, people will think it's representative of the current game.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

irrevenant wrote:
.....but I'm more concerned about the hills. They just look like bumpy patches of earth. And they look even worse with units on them (Which isn't to say I could do better, mind you).

The Art developers, i believe, have the unanimous opinion that the new hills and mountians are solidly an improvement. We don't expect everyone to agree, but you are really going to have to be much more specific about what you perceive as their faults, or better yet, create someting better if you don't like what you see.
Irrevanant, you claimed to have been trying to explain all along that problem with the perspective of the cave walls, that i grasped on my own, weeks after making them. Since i didn't understand your comments about what was wrong with the walls, i went ahead and invested time in something on the wrong foundation. If you can make yourself clear about problems that are really there, things might be changed.
irrevenant wrote:I'd also agree that it's probably unwise using SVN shots for the front page. In a 'coming soon' section, sure. But where it is, people will think it's representative of the current game.
I probably would be good to make that clearer. In one sense, that is the current game, but to the majority of users (who also don't know what SVN or trunk is) the current version is inaccessable.

I wonder if "This is a preview of the upcoming changes in the next version." could be added on or below the Defador screenshot, since the fact of preview-ness is stated in the "screenshots" section.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity

Post by guest »

Eleazar wrote:I wonder if "This is a preview of the upcoming changes in the next version." could be added on or below the Defador screenshot, since the fact of preview-ness is stated in the "screenshots" section.
Better yet, "Preview of the upcoming version 1.1. (unstable)."

Somewhere on the main screen (possibly / preferably) the brownish "Lisar box" it should probably be stated that "Version 1.0.2 (always replaced with newest 1.0.x) is the recommended, stable version of Wesnoth. Players of Wesnoth 1.1 are advised that the 1.1 branch is in development, and should not be expected to always be internally consistent."
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

It's true they look a bit flat. Can't they be a little higher?
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
niranbd

Post by niranbd »

this version is gonna work under WINDOWS too right?

i know im one of the only ones here that use windows, but its not only my computer and i have to use windows because of my mother...
Alks

Post by Alks »

niranbd wrote:this version is gonna work under WINDOWS too right?

i know im one of the only ones here that use windows, but its not only my computer and i have to use windows because of my mother...
I also use Windows, out of pure laziness. If Wesnoth switches to Linux Only... well... I'll have this Linux-Thing installed.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

I can't even compile Wesnoth on my old Linux version :evil:
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Yes, 1.1.0 will most likely have a windows binary sometime after the release. Probably not on the same day! Please do also remember that it is a relase on the unstable branch. It's not supposed to crash but incompatibilities with regard to MP or fast changing rules are to be expected on this branch.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
niranbd

Post by niranbd »

torangan wrote:
Yes, 1.1.0 will most likely have a windows binary sometime after the release. Probably not on the same day! Please do also remember that it is a relase on the unstable branch. It's not supposed to crash but incompatibilities with regard to MP or fast changing rules are to be expected on this branch.
yeah... but i have heard that HEBREW is finally supported in there, and because i got a 60% hebrew translation of the game i just CANT WAIT to play it with hebrew finally!

it will be released whith BIDI?
romnajin

Post by romnajin »

The new mountains are nicer than the current ones.
Sorry for the meaningless post
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Eleazar wrote:Irrevanant, you claimed to have been trying to explain all along that problem with the perspective of the cave walls, that i grasped on my own, weeks after making them. Since i didn't understand your comments about what was wrong with the walls, i went ahead and invested time in something on the wrong foundation. If you can make yourself clear about problems that are really there, things might be changed.
Like we noted back then, I have eyes, but unfortunately I don't have artistic training, so I don't necessarily have the words to explain what I'm seeing. :(

I think the problem is that there's nothing to distinguish the scale of the hills. The mountains look clearly like mountains (white peaks etc.) so it's easy to tell what they are, regardless of the scale differences. But the hill terrain just looks like bumpy ground. Maybe hills do just look like bumpy ground from a height, but once you stand a unit on them it just looks like the unit's walking across uneven ground.

The old hill terrain was stylised, but it was recognisable because it was a stylised hill. It didn't hurt that it was in scale with the (old) mountains, either.

I'm at best a fledgling artist, and I'm not sure how to distinguish hills from bumpy ground in a more realistic style (if it's even possible) but I'll see if I can mock something up.