Default teams colors

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Noyga
Inactive Developer

Default teams colors

Post by Noyga »

Currently whe have these defaults colors for sides:
- Side 1 : Red (r,g,b : 255,0,0)
- Side 2 : Blue (r,g,b : 0,0,255)
- Side 3 : Green (r,g,b : 0,255,0)
- Side 4 : Yellow (r,g,b : 255,255,0)
- Side 5 : Purple (r,g,b : 255,00,255)
- Side 6 : Orange (r,g,b : 255,127,00)
- Side 7 : Grey (r,g,b : 137,137,137)
- Side 8 : White (r,g,b : 255,255,255)
- Side 9 : Brown (r,g,b : 148,80,39)
- Side 10 : (no color name) (r,g,b : 02,245,225) (should be some kind of light blue) (btw i never seen it in game and it does not seem usable in MP games).

Color #10 is easy distinguishable from the other by is never used (at least i never seen it).
Colors #6, #7 & #9 are not alway easy to identify
So i think it could be a good idea to swap one of these 3 colors with color #10.

Some colors could be improved too (i think about Yellow).

What do you think ?
Last edited by Noyga on December 9th, 2005, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

When you put a player 10 on a map, it doesn't work (well, you only have 9 teams).
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
scott

Post by scott »

Since magenta and yellow are in the second triplet of colors, cyan only seems like a natural choice. However, it does seem dorky that you would be using system colors nearly in order. Where's the panache? :)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I don't see why (in the near future) we can't offer about 12-16 reasonably distinct color choices for multi-player.

But if we just have 9 colors, IMHO brown is the least worthy of keeping. Too much like orange, and too much like terrain.
Grey could be made better if it was darker instead of nearly the exact shade as castle floors.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Suggestions - and note that these would often imply changes to the existing colors:

1 deep blue
1 deep, royal purple
1 scarlet red

1 cyan color
1 bright teal
1 orange-yelow.

1 green (hunter green, really - again, a natural color)
1 brown (as a natural color, which would work well for elves).
1 dark grey/ "black" (slight hint of slate blue in it, like in warcraft II)
1 light grey/ "white"

That's a set of ten to start out with. Others could be added afterwards.
Dobob

Post by Dobob »

Delurking a little...

In game, it is very difficult for me to distinguish yellow (255, 255, 0) and green (0, 255, 0). That could be because I'm partly colour-blind ... :roll: .

What I want to say is that the most different colours should be first. So grey and white could be put in position 4 et 5. Personnaly, I would put yellow and purple quite far in the list.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Eleazar wrote:I don't see why (in the near future) we can't offer about 12-16 reasonably distinct color choices for multi-player.
Currently terrains maps support starting locations for 10 sides (terrain letters '0','1','2','3','4','5','6','7','8' & '9'), althrough i never seen '0' working.
With multi-letters terrains, i think this limitation will go.
However it may be possible to have more sides by specifying the sides within a scenario (i don't know if it works).
Eleazar wrote:But if we just have 9 colors, IMHO brown is the least worthy of keeping. Too much like orange, and too much like terrain.
Grey could be made better if it was darker instead of nearly the exact shade as castle floors.
Ok, then as a first step we could replace brown with light blue (for side #8) ?

Jetryl : This seems a nice set.
Btw, it's easier to test with given rgb values (in decimal or hexadecimal), or a picture or colored text (use color=#RRGGBB where RRGGBB are the rgb values in hexadecimal). to figure out what they are.
Teal may be too close to cyan and maybe green (but we have to test first).
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Although there are only 9 sides, is might be possible in the future for you to choose your team color in MP (it is already possible to specify side color in campaign). So, it could be nice to have more than 9 colors, since even if not all 15 or 20 or whatever are used in one scenario, they could all be used at different points in a campaign.

It might even be possible to have two colors per side - one team color, identical for each member of a team, and one specific to the side.

But now I suspect I'm really stretching not only the possibilities of the engine, but also the diversity that the colors themselves possess. :D
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Kyle.nn

Post by Kyle.nn »

Eleazar pointed out that red and brown are difficult to distinguish; I would add that red and orange on village flags are virtually identical (to me, at least). I was involved in a red/orange endgame the other day and had to mouse over each village to find out whether it was mine or my enemy's.

Grey/brown/green colorblindness of some degree is not uncommon (I have it), so if the green and grey are both made darker, they'll need to be checked out for differentiability (with each other and with brown, if it sticks around).
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Kyle.nn wrote:Eleazar pointed out that red and brown are difficult to distinguish; I would add that red and orange on village flags are virtually identical (for me, at least). I was involved in a red/orange endgame the other day and had to mouse over each village to find out whether it was mine or my enemy's.
Me too.

Obviously the most distinct colors should come first.... but what do we do when we run out of distinct colors? Should we limit the number of sides at some number (6, or 8 )? Or should we work around it somehow? If so, how?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I think cyan and olive would be nice.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I'd like to see a black or brownish colour as option mostly for people who'd like to have some outlaw-ish faction in a campaign appear more. . well; outlawish by their team colour; Perhaps have it as player 10; and only have it appear when someone changes colour to it; instead of having it as default colour? ;o
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Kyle.nn wrote:Grey/brown/green colorblindness of some degree is not uncommon (I have it), so if the green and grey are both made darker, they'll need to be checked out for differentiability (with each other and with brown, if it sticks around).
It would be good to accommodate (as well as possible) various kinds of color blindness. I don't know much about it. (except i know a surprizing number of partially colorblind artists) If Kyle.nn or someone else could post some useful information about how various kinds of colorblindness works, and how common the various types are, we could deal with this better.

Certainly in SP there will be more options for TColors. I tend to think we can come up with more than 9 MP colors than are even easier to distinguish, but that will have to be proven.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I am working to make the default team colors WML configurable instead of hard-coded.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Excelent ! I love you Darth Fool!
Signature dropped due to use of img tag