Help needed defining team rgb values for unit graphics

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Is it necessary for all units to have Tcolor, or only preferred? I don't think it really works for some units (like the Shaman), and IMHO it would be OK if they didn't have it. But what's everyone else's opinion?

Also, are the Outlaws going to get Tcolor? What about undead? Basically, can we have a list of what will use it, and what won't?

A tutorial on how to do this for UMCs would be nice. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

turin wrote:Is it necessary for all units to have Tcolor, or only preferred? I don't think it really works for some units (like the Shaman), and IMHO it would be OK if they didn't have it. But what's everyone else's opinion?

Also, are the Outlaws going to get Tcolor? What about undead? Basically, can we have a list of what will use it, and what won't?

A tutorial on how to do this for UMCs would be nice. ;)
I'm guessing that the shamans count as heroes (I take it you are talking about the orcish shamans, otherwise be more specific in unit name)

Undead should technically get Tcolour yeah; though I can imagine it just not working on units like Vampire bats; (At least, without them looking weird);

And outlaw; is a so~so case in my oppinion; They were originally designed to be campaign enemies; so not really in need for team colours, but yeah; if Knalga won't be changed, they'd technically require it aswell.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I meant the elvish shaman. I don't really consider the Orcish shaman to be an official unit. As you said, its a campaign hero.

What do you mean by "technically require it"?

My main point was - must every unit that is recruitable in MP get Tcolor? It doesn't make sense to me for outlaws, undead, mages, or the elvish shaman to get Tcolor. So, are we sticking to a strict policy of, "all units recruitable in MP must have Tcolor", or, are only those that it makes sense for (i.e., those who would be considered part of a (semi-) organized army) required to have it?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I meant the elvish shaman. I don't really consider the Orcish shaman to be an official unit. As you said, its a campaign hero.
But if you look on the previous page the Elvish Shaman is already coloured.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I know - I'm making an argument that perhaps it shouldn't be. Even if the work is already done, if it doesn't make sense, it shouldn't be implemented.
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

What exactly is the arguement behind this oppinion of yours? I myself think the shaman, being a proud member of the elvish task force; should indeed wear it's national colours in pride!
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I would say that it is not a requirement that all units be Tcolored, but it is preferred. If we reach a point where the vase majority of units are Tcolored, then we might change it to a requirement for new units. I don't think that the Tcoloring has to be blatent for all units that have it, however, as this is not a replacement for the (optional) ellipses.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:I know - I'm making an argument that perhaps it shouldn't be. Even if the work is already done, if it doesn't make sense, it shouldn't be implemented.
It's quite probable that the Elven Druid and Shyde will not receive any team coloration (indeed, it saves me a bunch of work, as well). The Shaman is already colored, and her coloration looks fine.

On a side note, here is my current progress with the TColor:
Notes - Elven fighter needs to be shortened by 1 pixel. As you can see, we are stripping units that have some primary coloration of it unless it has a darned good reason to be there - paladins are the only unit in the horseman line that will retain their primary coloration (white).

scott

Post by scott »

I wish to take this opportunity to object to the knight's red visor. It looks weird. If this is the wrong place for this, just move me.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

rather than color the visor, i think it's much more natural to add a pennant to the lances, like the Lancer has. It would certainly make sense with the L2 and L3 horsemen.
Attachments
lancer.png
lancer.png (1.54 KiB) Viewed 8571 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Scott: Yeah, you're right. I felt the same way, I'm just still figuring this whole costume-design thing out.

Eleazar: Uhm - I don't want to add the pennant to all L2 or greater horseman, but I think it might work well on the Paladin, as an additional difference between it and the knight.

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar: If you approve of the edits to the horseman and knight, could you clone the following graphics over to the rest of the set, and commit them - don't worry about retooling the cfg file yet - I'll take care of that when I add in the macro (tonight).

Working as a team will allow us to make an otherwise herculean task much more manageable.
Attachments
horseman.png
horseman.png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 8561 times
knight.png
knight.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 8560 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Paladin done.
Attachments
paladin.png
paladin.png (3.48 KiB) Viewed 8546 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Lancer Done:

Image Image
Attachments
lancer.png
lancer.png (2.82 KiB) Viewed 8537 times
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I was thinking it might help the lancer's identity if he had a bigger, more obvious lance, thus:
Attachments
lancer.png
lancer.png (3.6 KiB) Viewed 8411 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity