HttT on hard: no S/R

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

HttT on hard: no S/R

Post by JW »

I'm currently attempting this task. Has anyone done it? It took me 4 days to beat the first level to my satisfaction and I am now on the Siege of Elesenfar and have had to retry it 3 times already because I have lost either my white mage or my knight (Haldiel).

I WILL post the replays when I have succesfully completed the entire game. =)

Again, I am playing with NO SAVE / RELOAD. The only saving I'm doing is between maps when prompted. No other saving is acceptable!

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

I'm acually (when time allows) trying to beat Httt on hard without S/R and with rather fair luck... it takes a lot of time to beat every level. So far I did finished first 3 scenarios... I did some stupid things but overall result is (IMHO) quite good.

Ah btw - it's my first attempt to complete this campaign ;-)

Anyway - I wish you good luck with it, JW, and what's more inportant - have fun! :-)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
JW

Post by JW »

Dragonking wrote: Ah btw - it's my first attempt to complete this campaign ;-)
I like doing things the hard way the first time too. =)
Dragonking wrote:Anyway - I wish you good luck with it, JW, and what's more inportant - have fun! :-)
You too! Let's make it fun and see who can do it first!
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

JW wrote: You too! Let's make it fun and see who can do it first!
For sure you :-)
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

I'm up to The Princess of Wesnoth on hard, with no save-loading, and only recruiting elvish shamen ;). (recalling all those loyal characters though).

I think you'll be finished long before me :). Good luck.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Well, i have done it but i needed two or three saveloadings midscenario. Not to wait for good luck but to correct severe tactical mistakes. IMO what you need is
- about 300 gold (350 is better)
- some (6-8) level2 units or at least level1s close to leveling
- a white mage or a mage close to leveling

And it is vital that you finish the orcs before facing substantial numbers of skeletons (but i guess you know that already). A merman with that magical weapon is really handy here, but you might get along without him.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
JW

Post by JW »

Yogi Bear wrote:Well, i have done it but i needed two or three saveloadings midscenario. Not to wait for good luck but to correct severe tactical mistakes. IMO what you need is
- about 300 gold (350 is better)
- some (6-8) level2 units or at least level1s close to leveling
- a white mage or a mage close to leveling

And it is vital that you finish the orcs before facing substantial numbers of skeletons (but i guess you know that already). A merman with that magical weapon is really handy here, but you might get along without him.
Heh, I already kinda beat it. =)

Thanks though. =D

I had a white mage going in (that I recalled in the middle) and many many marksmen. Plus I had already leveled Haldiel. =)
baruk

Post by baruk »

I've finished HttT on hard. I used 2 saved positions in the valley of death, but no save loading other than that.
Good luck when you reach the valley of death (test of clans is very tough also). :)
Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

I started this morning to do this too :D Now i am at blackwater port which i finished losing a ranger so i'm probably going to replay it. Anyway is that possible to kill the orc leader in 9 turns? (8 considering the fact the first turn you can only recruit..) If you answer affirmatively please post a replay :)
scott

Post by scott »

If you folks would help playtest HTTT on hard using 1.1.x, that would be a great help.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

I would [playtest 1.1.x], but I'm not sure I like some of the changes that have been put in place... such as allowing mermaid initiates in BoP, which totally swings the sea battle in favour of the rebels

such as putting in a fjord, which makes the level so much easier[/i]
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

blackjack wrote:I would [playtest 1.1.x], but I'm not sure I like some of the changes that have been put in place...
Maybe that's exactly the reason why you should playtest it and report how you like the effect of those changes on gameplay? Those changes to make it easier might be dependent on difficulty level if Scott receives input into that direction. E.g. on EASY you get Initiate and Hunter, in MEDIUM just Hunter and in HARD only the old Merman...
Deciding the best course requires input from players, the sooner the better.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
scott

Post by scott »

Exactly. The mermaid (singlular) and fjord hexes are targeted at players who are not skilled at water combat and who may occassionally make unit placement mistakes when moving those units out... i.e. new unskilled players. Taking them out on hard is certainly on the table.

I am now interested in how you take the new Isle of the Damned...
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Mordred

Post by Mordred »

alright, i join, i'll try it on hard on 1.1 without saveloading
JW

Post by JW »

I'd playtest 1.1, but I'm kinda invested in this project right now: I'm on the Dwarven Doors.

And about playtesting the new changes - I'd only be able to tell you about the hard difficulty in 1.1. I wouldn't be able to tell you what a good difficulty would be for easy or medium because either would be too easy for me and I would simply have no perspective on it. The same is porobably true for blackjack as well.