paved roads

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

toms

Post by toms »

Yeah, it´s great.
But I am a lover of the old version of roads...
This doesn´t mean that I don´t like your roads!
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

toms wrote:Yeah, it´s great.
But I am a lover of the old version of roads...
This doesn´t mean that I don´t like your roads!
I will add this as an additional variant.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Yobbo: If I could figure out which files to download, I could try to make the corners look better. ;)

(I understand that you like them the way they are, but IMHO they would look better curved.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

turin wrote:Yobbo: If I could figure out which files to download, I could try to make the corners look better. ;)
Download the latest tar.gz (roads-extra.tar.gz). There are only about 6 images that should need to be changed for nice curvy roads. 8 max. Should be obvious which ones :).

I had originally planned to make the roads all curvy, but the corners grew on me. I do agree they look sharp - if you draw nice corners they're welcome :).

Also welcome if anyone can draw them: stone bridges.
JW

Post by JW »

Wow, those new roads are incredible! Very well done!

You also seem to have a different swamp and castle hex than I do - are those also new? Can I expect to see these roads in the next released version of Wesnoth?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

yobbo: Thanks.

JW: The castle in that image is under construction, and has not yet replaced teh current castle. It will eventually. The swamp is in SVN, which means that the next 1.1.x version will have it; but the 1.0.x line is getting no new graphics.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Even if you don't like compiling (like me) it's relatively easy to stay up-to-date with the latest graphics and unit descriptions:

1) Download the source code from the trunk, like thisperhaps.
2) Copy images and .cfgs from the source to the appropriate folder of your compiled version. If you want terrain, copy the 2 terrain cfgs as well as the graphics.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
hands

Post by hands »

yobbo wrote:
zookeeper wrote:On yobbo's latest image the roads are, IMHO, not very good-looking. In the straight lines where there is grassland underneath they look ok, but the bulky things at the ends of the bridge and the bulky mass at the bottom right look very bad.
Get over it :P.
I agree with zookeeper. Unfortunately, the only way for this to be resolved in all instances is to have a WML that accounts for all 64 possible directional variations as well as the graphics files to match. I think that yobbo's results so far look quite nice considering the fact that he is only using eleven directional variations.

Yobbo deserves a pat on the back, and unless someone is willing to pony-up the work to implement something more robust complaints should probably be taken with a grain of salt.
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

hands wrote:
yobbo wrote: Get over it :P.
I agree with zookeeper. Unfortunately, the only way for this to be resolved in all instances is to have a WML that accounts for all 64 possible directional variations as well as the graphics files to match. I think that yobbo's results so far look quite nice considering the fact that he is only using eleven directional variations.
Get over it.
toms

Post by toms »

[quote="yobbo]Also welcome if anyone can draw them: stone bridges.[/quote]

I think there are alredy stone bridges(Utbs). They wouldlook good combined with your roads...:)
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!