Castles

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
mbabuskov

Castles

Post by mbabuskov »

I have few ideas about castles:

1. visual look

Would it be possible to make multiple hexes that are inside the castle "blend" with each other, so only the outer walls are visible. IMHO, it would look much nicer. Only the keep should be drawn as it is now.

2. fighting

When 2 units are both in the castle and fighting, it would be good that they don't have their castle defense "on", i.e. terrain should be ignored. The keep tile can still make a difference.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

maybe 1 could be done by using the "border" thing for tiles, the way water blends on coasts...

maybe this could be done for cave walls too... It would require some graphic skills that I don't have though
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yup...we're waiting upon decent graphics for castles to be produced :)

Although personally I'm hoping these graphics don't look too 'grand', otherwise we will hear yet more calls for castles to be made more powerful defensively ;)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I havn't seen Svetac around in a while :( I was really looking forward to his Castle Graphics.
Charwood

Post by Charwood »

I've thought for quite some time now that castles should look a little more coherent and unified with surrounding castle tiles. The problem is, and Dave mentioned something like it, is that Castles in Wesnoth are not meant to be omnipotent fortresses. How, if you have a spiffy looking castle, do you explain that enemies can just walk right into it, and once inside, have equal (really high) defense as the units they are attacking inside.

Also, regarding the graphics. I see two options:
1.) Make castle tiles have a border for walls or some such thing so as to create the effect. Though this seems difficult to do from a graphical standpoint (though you artist people are quite talented.)
2.) Allow for the placement and positioning of different "sizes" of castles. So perhaps there is a size of castle for each number of recruitment hexes you would want. A "small" castle might have 3 recruitment hexes. This would standardize the graphical look of castles and allow for some verstatility. This, however, would probably require some modification to the map engine, and the map editor, and things like this which would probably be a bit painful as it would make the simle "C" means castle thing several factores more complicated.

Also regarding graphics, and I realize this is asking a lot since we doing have any castle graphics. It would be super cool if, whichever system we go with, if we could have a different "style" of castle for each faction. The Orcs, for instance, might have a large wooden stockade type with nasty looking sharp spears jutting out. The Loyalists might have more ornate (though not far more defensible looking) stone walls with banners flying. You get the idea. It'd be really pretty. (-8

Just some thoughts. Thanks!
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Charwood wrote:I've thought for quite some time now that castles should look a little more coherent and unified with surrounding castle tiles. The problem is, and Dave mentioned something like it, is that Castles in Wesnoth are not meant to be omnipotent fortresses. How, if you have a spiffy looking castle, do you explain that enemies can just walk right into it, and once inside, have equal (really high) defense as the units they are attacking inside.
This to me is not a big deal in the sense that this can represent the sort of nasty interior battles that can take place once the walls have been breeched. Of course you have to keep a flexible Wesnothian sense of scale (1 unit per miles wide hex) when dealing with these types of issues...
Also, regarding the graphics. I see two options:
1.) Make castle tiles have a border for walls or some such thing so as to create the effect. Though this seems difficult to do from a graphical standpoint (though you artist people are quite talented.)
2.) Allow for the placement and positioning of different "sizes" of castles. So perhaps there is a size of castle for each number of recruitment hexes you would want. A "small" castle might have 3 recruitment hexes. This would standardize the graphical look of castles and allow for some verstatility. This, however, would probably require some modification to the map engine, and the map editor, and things like this which would probably be a bit painful as it would make the simle "C" means castle thing several factores more complicated.

Also regarding graphics, and I realize this is asking a lot since we doing have any castle graphics. It would be super cool if, whichever system we go with, if we could have a different "style" of castle for each faction. The Orcs, for instance, might have a large wooden stockade type with nasty looking sharp spears jutting out. The Loyalists might have more ornate (though not far more defensible looking) stone walls with banners flying. You get the idea. It'd be really pretty. (-8

Just some thoughts. Thanks!
So, when drawing terrain, I understand that there is the ability to have an over and under unit graphic as well as some at least primitive sense of the neighboring terrain (ie transitions) Is it possible then to have the castle graphics chosen according to which neighboring hexes have castles/keeps in them? I realize this is roughly a 2^6 issue for the artist . If this was the case then all that would need to be done (ok it''s not so easy) is generate the 2^6 different castle images. Then anyone who wanted to do special orcish castles would just have to make their own versions. Of course, this wouldn't scale so well for really big castles with lots of hexes that have all 6 sides surrounded, but I don't think we have to many of those. I think Svetac had a good start on this although I think his initial step was just to design a multihex castle and break up into component pieces later. Does anyone know if he has abandoned the project?
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Darth Fool wrote:Does anyone know if he has abandoned the project?
He hasn't 'abandoned' it, but he has become rather busy with other things, as tends to happen.

If someone else wants to try to do what he was trying to accomplish, it would be welcome.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

i'm gonna have a go at trying to finish his castle. :)

see if i can fufill his vision.:)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm