Making Music?

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Free

Making Music?

Post by Free »

What program can I use to make music for Wesnoth and then make it into an ogg. file?
Miles

Post by Miles »

There are many programs. Browse:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2953
Free

Post by Free »

Thanks. :)
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

Before devoting a lot of energy to composing music for Wesnoth, please read through some of the threads and get a good idea of what we're after. If the music doesn't match up to a certain standard, we won't use it. As of yet, we have not discovered any really good music done completely with free software and sounds.

--Timothy
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

TimothyP wrote:Before devoting a lot of energy to composing music for Wesnoth, please read through some of the threads and get a good idea of what we're after. If the music doesn't match up to a certain standard, we won't use it. As of yet, we have not discovered any really good music done completely with free software and sounds.
Sadly, this entirely accurate.

I've done a bit of research into using free software to make music. The big thing that is missing is free professional-quality instrument samples. As far as I can tell, they just don't exist :?.
Jastiv

Post by Jastiv »

What is so hard about buying an insturment, sampling it, and then uploading the samples?
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

Jastiv wrote:What is so hard about buying an insturment, sampling it, and then uploading the samples?
A lot of people have done this, but I have yet to find any sample sets that are of professional quality. I think it takes a recording studio and a lot of patience to get right. There are good free percussion sets (see those on http://www.hydrogen-music.org/ for example), but to make a virtual instrument you need a bunch (read dozens) of samples that fit well together, and you need to describe in some format ("soundfont2" seems to be the most used for free software, although it is a bit dated) how these samples fit together, and what happens when the instrument is played louder, faster, softer, continuously and a bunch of other stuff.

As an example, hammersound has a bunch of free soundfonts, but me being anal I wasn't happy with any of them :).

Seriously I think the best thing anyone could do for free music is to create good sample sets.

For a quick example of music made with free software and non-free samples (in the gigasampler format), check out the linuxsampler demos

I'd love to be proved wrong about there currently being no free professional-quality sample sets though ;).
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

yobbo wrote:I've done a bit of research into using free software to make music. The big thing that is missing is free professional-quality instrument samples. As far as I can tell, they just don't exist :?.
Well, take for example some orchestra samples. Knowing an orchestra can go from 4 people to more than 500 (extreme case, rare in our days, and i'm counting the choir), you would need at least two of each intruments of this orchestra.
You need to find:
-The musicians,
-Time, LOTS of time to record every type of technical playing style, etc... (Just to let you know, recording a quartet is already a nightmare...)
-Money to pay some of these musicians, or else you can try and have them play for free but good luck...

It isn't for nothing i payed 3000$ to buy samples that took almost two years to record. You've got to understand that it is 80GB of sounds. Everybody wants free stuff everywhere. But sometimes its just impossible...
Free

Post by Free »

Is there a specific program I can use to convert Garageband files into ogg. files?
scott

Post by scott »

Audacity will do it for free.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Free

Post by Free »

Thank you all. :D
mellinium22

HELP!!!!

Post by mellinium22 »

how do u make a .ogg file mp3.
and where can u get music that plays in the game?
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

Audacity will also change .ogg to .mp3. You may also need to install an mp3 encoder (instructions). There are probably more specialized programs to do it, but that should work.

For information on wesnoth's directory structure, see http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/EditingWesnoth. The music is in the game data directory under "music" :).
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

The biggest problem with converting ogg to mp3 is that mp3 is a patented format. You actually have to pay patent royalties for the encoder and also to distribute (!) mp3 files.

This is why Wesnoth uses ogg vorbis.

(I'm back! Sorry I was gone so long.)