Tree people

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Nah. Not too many trees survive at the bottom of the ocean. Coral, yes, but coral is a different matter. Besides, it's all dying out due to global warming.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
miyo

Post by miyo »

Sangel wrote:Nah. Not too many trees survive at the bottom of the ocean. Coral, yes, but coral is a different matter. Besides, it's all dying out due to global warming.
Well I think it would be nice, tree people marching (slowly) at the bottom of sea. They would not live there, just march through.

- Miyo
Eponymous-Archon

Post by Eponymous-Archon »

They could be Mangrove tree-people. :-)

And don't forget the trees in the Wizard of Oz.
The Eponymous Archon

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the responses:) The sapling(lvl1 little treant with funny head) and the lvl2 fellow both now fit inside the hex. The lvl 2 was only a few pixels in foliage and toes outside the hex. I think the lvl3 aged one will have to shrink noticably, but not drastically. I'm probably going to work on all three some more tonight, and will hopefully finish decent attacks n' defenses by at least the end of the week; time permitting. Before any drawing though, I feel the need to ramble about 'over-Tolkienization', a racial name, and an ent unit's characteristics.

Tolkien's 'ents' might have been based on Woses. Wose is a name from British folklore referring to a hairy, troll-like being supposed to inhabit woods and forests*. The woses in Tolkien's work were really a different race of men. However, the real folklore wose seems similar to an ent and a reasonable origin for Tolkien's ents. I think 'orcs' were a Tolkien original also, based on an Old English word for demon*. I dunno the orcs' basis in real folklore but it was most likely some goblin or demon stories. In the end the presence of ents doesn't seem too close to Tolkien IMO. No more so than orcs, technically.

(the * is a cite of Encylopedia of Arda website, a big refernce for Tolkien stuff where I found info on woses and orcs)

I personally like the race name 'woses' if a better rendition of tree-folk or my own are included in Wesnoth in the future. 'Treants' is cool too, but sounds very entish and has definately been used before. I don't know of any games with woses.

I'm for them behaving a lot like the troll units...with regen(maybe terrain specific), decent range, good hp, heavy hits, and definate weakness to fire and axe-wielders.

:arrow:antwerp
miyo

Post by miyo »

Anonymous wrote:I'm for them behaving a lot like the troll units...with regen(maybe terrain specific), decent range, good hp, heavy hits, and definate weakness to fire and axe-wielders.
What do you mean by decent range?

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Few questions:

* These are your original artwork and don't contain any copying of copyrighted material?
* You are releasing them under GPL? (otherwise we might have troubles accepting them).

- Miyo
James Paige

Name suggestion

Post by James Paige »

I just thought I would throw in the suggestion that in Russian mytholigy there are tree spirits called "Leshys", which I always though was a cool name.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

Anonymous wrote:Tolkien's 'ents' might have been based on Woses. Wose is a name from British folklore referring to a hairy, troll-like being supposed to inhabit woods and forests*. The woses in Tolkien's work were really a different race of men. However, the real folklore wose seems similar to an ent and a reasonable origin for Tolkien's ents. I think 'orcs' were a Tolkien original also, based on an Old English word for demon*. I dunno the orcs' basis in real folklore but it was most likely some goblin or demon stories. In the end the presence of ents doesn't seem too close to Tolkien IMO. No more so than orcs, technically.

(the * is a cite of Encylopedia of Arda website, a big refernce for Tolkien stuff where I found info on woses and orcs)
I'm sure I've seen similar creatures (described as woodwoses) attributed to German folklore.
See for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodwose though the references here seem to be closer to a "wild human" than to a troll.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

so basically, we have tree peoples in more than half of the europeans mythologies...

if we don't name them ents, I think we won't have to worry about copyright issues :)

so, howabout a poll on the name :D

Post by Guest »

Miyo:

By decent range I was thinking whatever range trolls have...maybe 6 hexes though I'm not sure of the exact number.

The images are my own work. They should be free as GPL-ed files. I have no interest in maintaining exclusive property rights on my images or exchanging them in any manner for monetary gain. As far as I'm concerned, when I post 'em, the images are free to be used however anyone sees fit.

Should any images due to their filenames or character discussions be considered by anyone to be something other than a free academic discussion concerning proposed elements of a GPL game - do be foregiving.

Also, a poll seems like a good way to decide the final names when the images are finished. So far treants, woses, and leshys sound like good candidates. Maybe some other names will turn up from old mythologies - there is probably a Celtic myth about tree-people somehwere. Here are some ideas of the images, to date. Files are renamed to woses this time.

:arrow: antwerp
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

WOW

the huge one must barely fit in it's hexagone...

they look really impressive...

Post by Guest »

Thanks Boucman :lol:

That ancient isn't in the hex yet. I'll get him in there, though, without too much scale-down. Their standard poses are still kinda rough around the edges, and I have attack and defenses to do yet, but they're getting there :D
antwerp

Post by antwerp »

I think I'm finished. They are closer to the size of trolls, fit in the hex, and look o.k.; though the attacks/defenses are a bit awkward. The wose and sapling have a single atk and def pose each, while the ancient has no defense pose in favor of a pair of attack frames for a better animated kick. I'll make three posts, one for each char's three files. Hope there aren't per/user limits to images, I'm over a dozen already :?

This one is the sapling, lvl 1 treant:
antwerp

Post by antwerp »

Here's the wose, lvl2 bushman:
antwerp

Post by antwerp »

And the lvl3 lumberjack killer: