Making Canyons using the Castle methodology

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I believe i figured out a way to make these look a lot better...
i.e by slicing and dicing the transitions up differently, the fade into black can be a lot more gradual.

....more later.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

So, in other words, it would look more like the canyon wall went down forever and ever, instead of as if there was a bunch of black mist filling the canyon starting 20 meters deep? Sounds good! ;)

(I'm joking - it looks good now, but this would make it look better.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Maybe it should not fade to black but fade to a greyish fog, at least during the daytime. There could even be the odd variation with a peak sticking out of the fog... Just a thought
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Um, i don't expect this to mean much to most folks, but, some testing indicates, You can modify the shape of the transitions, and everything will work, as long as you are consistant. Here's how i modified Ayin's templates for my new canyon. Now that i've done the conceptually hard part, i need to do the artistically hard part and paint.

I think i'll try to indicate dark haze rather than pure blackness at the bottom. It will appear close enough to black at night or in a cave.
Attachments
If you've never used the normal version of this template, this probabably won't mean anything to you.
If you've never used the normal version of this template, this probabably won't mean anything to you.
altered exploder.jpg (45.81 KiB) Viewed 5966 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Eleazar wrote:Um, i don't expect this to mean much to most folks, but, some testing indicates, You can modify the shape of the transitions, and everything will work, as long as you are consistant. Here's how i modified Ayin's templates for my new canyon. Now that i've done the conceptually hard part, i need to do the artistically hard part and paint.

I think i'll try to indicate dark haze rather than pure blackness at the bottom. It will appear close enough to black at night or in a cave.
ugh. I actually understood that. Clearly I haven't yet done enough to repress the experience of playing with castle ruins.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

It worked, almost as i had expected:

The indistinct, but not black-bottomed canyon.

There's still work to do on it, and the cave wall transitions really get mangled in it, but i have a certain sense of acomplishment. :)
Attachments
canyon3.jpg
canyon3.jpg (125.92 KiB) Viewed 5648 times
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Rock on. Looking great.
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

Wow, that looks amazing :).
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

Stares in Awe for minutes
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I don't know if you noticed, but some are the trees of the forest transition are floating in mid-air...

except for that, wow, that's amazing :shock:
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Boucman wrote:I don't know if you noticed, but some are the trees of the forest transition are floating in mid-air...

except for that, wow, that's amazing :shock:
Actually with the newer cliffs I find it looking more like they're growing on the far ledge of the cliff; so this edit to the cliffs make it look alot better with trees as they're not flying in blackness like before.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

It is already said but this looks really good and I agree the trees look like they are growing on the cliff.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
scott

Post by scott »

That's really great. Bravo.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

Erm, incidentally the floating trees are really easy to fix. Just add the canyon terrain letter to the list of terrain letters in the "FORESTADJ" macros in terrain-graphics.cfg.

I think it's a testament to how well the forests were done that people don't even notice that a smaller forest tile is used when it's next to non-flat terrain ;).
freim

Post by freim »

yobbo wrote:Erm, incidentally the floating trees are really easy to fix. Just add the canyon terrain letter to the list of terrain letters in the "FORESTADJ" macros in terrain-graphics.cfg.

I think it's a testament to how well the forests were done that people don't even notice that a smaller forest tile is used when it's next to non-flat terrain ;).
Yes, when the canyon goes in it will use the smaller forest tiles to avoid the floating trees.