Interior transitions - coming along

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

Interior transitions - coming along

Post by scott »

I'm making transitions for an interior terrain using the cavewall graphics. I have run into a problem.

The cavewall naming using 'convex' and 'concave' as well as the -e and -w (east and west) suffixes. The terrain tutorial does not mention these.

I have convex-ne and convex-nw transitions set to make the far side of the wall (you can only see the top of the wall as a light colored line).

The transition causes notches in a continuous run of wall but looks fine at an endpoint, where it meshes with a convex-e or convex-w terrain.

I think I need another far wall transition - one is for the continuous run and the other is for the endpoint, but what naming convention do I use so that it is recognized by the game? For example, I tried -convex-ne-e or -convex-ne-se but it didn't work. Can anyone suggest anything?
Attachments
Picture 1 10-18-13.jpg
Picture 1 10-18-13.jpg (41.15 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
Picture 2.jpg
Picture 2.jpg (51.87 KiB) Viewed 8415 times
Last edited by scott on November 3rd, 2005, 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Could you post the wml that you added to terrain-graphics.cfg to get the current version working as well as a list of all the image files used?
scott

Post by scott »

The WML is beyond me at the moment, so I replaced the existing cavewall transitions (my dungeon looks really funny at the moment). You can drop these in and see where I'm going with it.

Left-facing wall
- cavewall-convex-sw.png
- cavewall-concave-ne.png

Right-facing wall
- cavewall-convex-se.png
- cavewall-concave-nw.png

Wall endpoints
- cavewall-convex-w.png
- cavewall-convex-e.png

Back of wall
- cavewall-convex-nw.png (left-facing)
- cavewall-convex-ne.png (right-facing)

Edit: it occured to me that I haven't used concave-sw and concave-se yet. I was reserving them for the inner corner, but it might work in both places.
Attachments
new_cavewall_trans.zip
(38.98 KiB) Downloaded 639 times
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

scott wrote: Edit: it occured to me that I haven't used concave-sw and concave-se yet. I was reserving them for the inner corner, but it might work in both places.
That does seem like a likely culprit.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I'd just like to insert my encouragements towards Scott - the presence of indoor terrain will be a major boon to campaign developers.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

scott wrote:Edit: it occured to me that I haven't used concave-sw and concave-se yet. I was reserving them for the inner corner, but it might work in both places.
Yeah, that's what's happening.
The way the cave wall style transitions work involves a lot of overlap when you have a straight line of hexes. In other words what seems like a flat wall, is 2 overlapping and alternating tiles, (maybe 3 in your case, i'm having a hard time converting to 4 sided objects.)

You might get a better feel for what's happening if you left the cave wall transitions in the terrain folder that you hadn't yet replaced, and color coded them.

Clever work, by the way.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Jetryl wrote:I'd just like to insert my encouragements towards Scott - the presence of indoor terrain will be a major boon to campaign developers.

I plan to do some indoor stuff aswell; but first I'd really like at least one wall to be done already; so that I have a template to work with;

Making cool wall designs and weird floors is neat.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
scott

Post by scott »

Alrighty. I finished transforming the cavewall into building walls. There are some glitches still, but I'm pretty happy with how it's going so far.

I think some of the images are being misused w.r.t the filenames (ne, nw, etc.), but I'm not up to starting from scratch.

1. There is a gap where 2 top walls meet.

2. The -e and -w transitions conflict when the hexes line up vertically, but this is something of a misuse of the wall. Interior rooms are going to have to be diagonal.

3. There is a slight overlap problem when a top wall hits a left endpoint. I'm not sure what is causing it exactly... I'm afraid fixing it will mess up other stuff.

The xcf should have enough breadcrumbs for someone to repeat the steps.
1. There is a master rectangle in which you fit your wall texture.
2. You do a vertical shear (+110° I think) to get the correct hex-based perspective
3. Anytime a shape is flipped, I only used the horizontal flip tool
4. There are 6 solid color masks that you can use to create your marquee then cut out the appropriate wall section
5. There are 12 transitions - 1 for each mask and its flipside
6. The concave-e and concave-w transition is a combination of masks 4, 5, and 6, which have separate layers in an xcf file just for that transition.

Sorry it's such a mess right now.
http://www.cis.rit.edu/~slk8779/wesnoth ... -walls.zip (the xcf files 800kb)
Attachments
Picture 1.jpg
Picture 1.jpg (87.36 KiB) Viewed 8247 times
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

Sorry if I am getting a little bit OT, but from the shots it seems that you're working on some RPG stuff based on wesnoth... What about this?
Standing With So Cold A Heart... Watching The Death Of The Sun...
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

The remaining transition glitches look like there is a problem with the priority of the interior (cave) wall compared to that of some of the floor hexes you are using (dirt).
scott

Post by scott »

Polaris wrote:Sorry if I am getting a little bit OT, but from the shots it seems that you're working on some RPG stuff based on wesnoth... What about this?
This is absolutely right.

The problem with the dirt is a hole in the transition. That is, I think I need a south transition to cover up the hole. I'm not sure how to get it to use new transitions I add (like cavewall-concave-s.png) and I'm not sure how to get objects to go underneath it. Some transitions go on top of objects and some under (like the colored halos around the units' feet).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Well, if you upload a tarball of the images, and your test map, I will take a look at it this weekend and see if I can get it right. I'll even go so far as to make it a different "terrain" than cave wall so you don't have to blow away the cavewall images to do this.
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

scott wrote:The problem with the dirt is a hole in the transition. That is, I think I need a south transition to cover up the hole. I'm not sure how to get it to use new transitions I add (like cavewall-concave-s.png) and I'm not sure how to get objects to go underneath it. Some transitions go on top of objects and some under (like the colored halos around the units' feet).
I think to change the placement of the walls (so they obscure objects properly, etc.) you need to modify the two numbers in the TERRAIN_ADJACENT_CORNER macro in terain-graphics.cfg; i.e. the numbers 52,76 and 56,68 in the lines:

Code: Select all

{TERRAIN_ADJACENT_CORNER       W      !WoK   !WoK    52,76 cavewall-convex}
{TERRAIN_ADJACENT_CORNER       !WoK   W      W       56,68 cavewall-concave}
maybe :?.

You don't need a cavewall-s transition. I copied your method and made some walls that seem to work as you wanted (haven't tried them in game yet, just in the map editor). I'll attach the xcf file :). The only problem is when you arrange it like in the top right of the screenshot. The easiest solution to this is to not do it.
Attachments
walls.jpg
walls.jpg (89.5 KiB) Viewed 8067 times
walls.xcf.zip
(159 KiB) Downloaded 648 times
Last edited by yobbo on November 4th, 2005, 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

scott wrote:
Polaris wrote:Sorry if I am getting a little bit OT, but from the shots it seems that you're working on some RPG stuff based on wesnoth... What about this?
This is absolutely right.
So... Does the bartender do a slow or poison attack? :wink:
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Eleazar wrote:
scott wrote: This is absolutely right.
So... Does the bartender do a slow or poison attack? :wink:
Both, and a succesful hit adds berserk to the patron