Eastern Invasion

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

blackjack

Post by blackjack »

You are right in that the problem lies in the main Wesnoth code. But the problem can be solved simply by removing the "bonus=yes" from the scenario file when time is over.

That is, in the event that time is over, the scenario checks if Mal-Telnarad is dead. If he is, then Mal-Skraat says something and then you are given victory with a bonus. If this is removed then the problem is solved, since there is no bonus to be given whenever time runs out anyway.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, thanks. tis will be fixed in the next release.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

this is the newest release (0.2.3)

a changelog type thing:
*new scenario (well, it probably won't work unless you have a unit called Young Ogre :) )
*all bugs that i remembered to fix have been fixed.
*Mal-Ravanal's Capital has been changed (you can get a max of 5 knights, when one of your units dies the number decreases).

goals for next release:
*another scenario
*a bigmap that shows what is actually going on
*unit Young Ogre included

enjoy!

http://lsimmons.net/joe/loyalistcampaign5.tar.gz
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

here is a new version. it has a map added, some story pictures, and some of the movement dot things (on the bigmap). but don't expect it be done for all of the scenarios, its only done for 3 or 4.

http://lsimmons.net/joe/loyalistcampaign5.tar.gz
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

just so everyone knows there is a new version here... I don't remember what has been changed from last time, but there are 8 scenarios (actually there are 11, there are three branches) and several changes. also there is the play for the final scenario that you can make the last scenario map to, if you want.

I would really like some feedback on this, i notice i have just been making new versions and people haven't commented, good or bad, or even to say "i can't download it.'
The World of Orbivm
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

The new campaigns don't seem to link... I'm having difficulty in getting to "Crossing" (though "Undead Crossing" works).

Also think that the Ogre scenario can't be reached, since the victory condition has the name wrong.

I'm using OS X on 0.7.2.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

blackjack wrote:The new campaigns don't seem to link... I'm having difficulty in getting to "Crossing" (though "Undead Crossing" works).

Also think that the Ogre scenario can't be reached, since the victory condition has the name wrong.

I'm using OS X on 0.7.2.
it shouldn't matter what OS you are using, i don't think.i've tested getting to every scenario, but there might be a bug i haven't caught. anyway, i'll try to fix this soon.
The World of Orbivm
ultimasephrioth

Post by ultimasephrioth »

I played the campaign yesterday evening. I got an error when the necromancer in the "Undead Crossing" level summons the "Cuttlefish". It has said that wesnoth couldn't insert it. Im currently at work and can't post the exact message here.

(Sorry for the bad English)
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

ultimasephrioth wrote:I played the campaign yesterday evening. I got an error when the necromancer in the "Undead Crossing" level summons the "Cuttlefish". It has said that wesnoth couldn't insert it. Im currently at work and can't post the exact message here.
Yes, looks like "Cuttlefish" needs to be changed to "Cuttle Fish" in the scenrio's .cfg file.

However, that makes the scenario distinctly difficult, so perhaps use Benj's Easter Rabbit instead ....
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

is having those Cuttle Fish too hard? i could easily change the amount of cuttle fish. also, i have fixed some of the bugs reported here, but i'm too lazy to post a new version. to fix, go to the 'Crossing.cfg' file and change id=crossing to id=Crossing.
The World of Orbivm
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

turin wrote:is having those Cuttle Fish too hard? i could easily change the amount of cuttle fish. also, i have fixed some of the bugs reported here, but i'm too lazy to post a new version. to fix, go to the 'Crossing.cfg' file and change id=crossing to id=Crossing.
Yes, I think the number of cuttlefish should probably be reduced.

I'll try to post a fuller discussion when I've also finished the alternate scenario (Crossing), but it appears there's a couple of additional problems in it :
the "Hurry up. We need to get across before these undead slaughter us!" message is missing one of its quotes
and shortly afterwards, the

Code: Select all

[set_variable]
variable=across
value=yes
[/set_variable]
isn't saving the variable properly. I think that
"variable=across"
should be
"name=across"
Loriel

Comments - scenarios "Two Paths" to "Ogre&quo

Post by Loriel »

Based on "Easy" mode, recent CVS (0.7.3) and Loyalist campaign release of approx 12 April (version 5 I think).

Disclaimer - by this stage of the campaign, the selection of units available for recall can vary substantially in size and quality, changing the difficulty of the scenarios.

Two Paths
Fairly short and straightforward.

As usual, the harder exit (killing the orc leader) leads to easier following scenario.

As bowmen are now available in the loyalist lineup, perhaps they should be added to the recruiting list for the campaign, which would make the orc leader a little easier to kill - his short range attack is strong, and the available loyalist units have few long range attacks.

Undead Crossing
After fixing the Cuttlefish->Cuttle Fish problem, the scenario works well.

However, the cuttlefish are powerful, apparently more so than in the corresponding "Ford of Abez" scenario in HttT:
(1) No mermen or gryphons available to provide a cordon to keep the cuttlefish away
(2) They appear much closer to the crossing, probably giving the player little time to react.
(3) I find the terrain more difficult, with a very narrow crossing path, and cuttlefish able to attack from both east and west (by crossing the beach), making it difficult to provide a safe area for wounded units to recover.

Therefore reducing the number of cuttlefish should be considerd.

However, it was possible to get some units across before their appearance, by splitting my attack between the two approaches, so it's possible to win despite them.

The Crossing
Various problems as already reported - namely capitalization of the scenario id and message/variable in the event triggered when Gweddy/Owaec arrive on the north bank.

Once fixed, the scenario runs well.

I found it relatively easy, with orcs and ogres fighting each other and leaving few survivors to oppose my units when they reached the far side, and the undead units to the south were weak, even after reinforcement.

Owaec's slow progress across the river (one hex per turn) made the scenario a bit tedious.

Ogre
An amusing interlude, short and simple.
cynic

Re: Comments - scenarios "Two Paths" to "Ogre

Post by cynic »

Loriel wrote:Based on "Easy" mode, recent CVS (0.7.3) and Loyalist campaign release of approx 12 April (version 5 I think).

Disclaimer - by this stage of the campaign, the selection of units available for recall can vary substantially in size and quality, changing the difficulty of the scenarios.

Two Paths
Fairly short and straightforward.

As bowmen are now available in the loyalist lineup, perhaps they should be added to the recruiting list for the campaign, which would make the orc leader a little easier to kill - his short range attack is strong, and the available loyalist units have few long range attacks.
I'm just did this scenario last night (Easy-0.7.2-0.2.2 tar), and I found the orc leader pretty easy to kill. I probably could have wiped him out around turn 12, if I'd focused on it, but I waited until 18, to get as much xp as possible.

Of course, this is most likely due to the fact that I played all the earlier scenarios this way too, and had 3 red mages and 2 arch mages available by the end of the scenario (only used 1 red and 1 arch to kill him, though).

Post by Guest »

the # of cuttle fish is likely to be reduced soon, once i get around to it.

i believe bowmen have been added, but if you started the campaign before about 2 weeks ago you will have to restart to get them, and update. at least i remember adding them. :)

about the ogre level- it is supposed to be somewhat easy, but its not hard enough right now. i have plans for what to do, but it is going to be very confusing and very long. i think i'll do something like you can't recruit and you have to use Dacyn, Owaec and Gweddry (all on whom are hopefully level 2 or higher) to capture 2 ogres from a pack of about 5. they must be on the grass at the end of the level to be able to recruit ogres.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

me. :)

i expect to have a new version tommorow, since it is friday night and i have time, but now i have to do homework, so it won't be tonight.
The World of Orbivm