Green Mage

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Emmanovi

Green Mage

Post by Emmanovi »

I had an idea for a green mage...I have the cfg file written up, but I'm no good at image editing...

Not sure if this is the right place, but can someone help me with this?

Here's the description I had:

"Often, a mage will feel the call of nature. They then will seek out the Order of Nature. They will shed their blue robes and recieve great brown ones, lined with green, to represent the very earth beneath their feet. Few follow this path, but those that do see the power and glory of natural forces. They wield strange staffs which are more powerful than ordinary magi's. However, their magics seem do less damage.

Though physically frail, and untrained as warriors, the 'Green Magi' have a number of tricks up their sleeves, including the burts of green energy which may have cemented their colloquial name.

Special Notes: the green mage's bolts are magical, and always have a high chance of hitting an opponent."
(EDIT: MAGES changed to MAGI. Is that better?)
Attachments
Green_Mage.cfg
The cfg file.
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 365 times
Last edited by Emmanovi on October 21st, 2005, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disto

Post by Disto »

I believe Fmunoz summoner could be a perfect standin, being green and all. Try downloading the path of the summoner MP era...
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Oh, I meant to say, it is another promotion to the mage, so it is basically a Red mage with all the Red bits turned green.

I'll try that... :)

AFTER: I can't find that image...I downloaded that Campaign/update, but I don't seem to be able to find it...

Do you know what it's called? And if it would be somewhere other than the normal image directory?
Disto

Post by Disto »

:roll:
Attachments
master-summoner.png
master-summoner.png (1.3 KiB) Viewed 6415 times
Creator of the Marauders
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Ah...thanks. It looks pretty much perfect. I just need to find one for the next promotion, Mage of Nature...

EDIT: I can't find that file at all, so can you post the things like attacking and stuff?

EDIT: Here is my feeble attempt at an attack (with magic) pose:

(BTW, I haven't worked out how to do transparency yet...I'm working on it).
Attachments
The NE one...
The NE one...
Greenball-ne.png (8.54 KiB) Viewed 6385 times
The Thing he will attack with...
The Thing he will attack with...
Greenball.png (8.88 KiB) Viewed 6395 times
My first ever proper attempt at image editing...
My first ever proper attempt at image editing...
Green-Mage-attack.png (2.93 KiB) Viewed 6397 times
Disto

Post by Disto »

Emmanovi wrote:Ah...thanks. It looks pretty much perfect. I just need to find one for the next promotion, Mage of Nature...

EDIT: I can't find that file at all, so can you post the things like attacking and stuff?

EDIT: Here is my feeble attempt at an attack (with magic) pose:

(BTW, I haven't worked out how to do transparency yet...I'm working on it).
Campaign Server, Path of the Summoner's Era.... or .... Here.
Creator of the Marauders
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Aha! Thanks!

I might use the Summoner as the Green Mage and the Master Summoner for the Mage of Nature...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Just so you know, the plural of Mage is always Magi. You seem to be using both Magi (correct) and Mages (incorrect).

I won't comment on the actual idea until it gets more fleshed out. However, I will say that I don't quite see why such a unit is necessary.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Aha, thanks Turin, I didn't notice that.

I just thought it might be a nice idea. I wanted a little help strating out.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

So... sorta like a non-elven elven mage?
Emmanovi

Post by Emmanovi »

Ummm...you could put it that way... A mage who wields the power of raw nature.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

turin wrote:Just so you know, the plural of Mage is always Magi.
No, the plural of Magus is Magi. The plural of Mage is Mages. In fact, as far as I can tell, the word "Mages" appeared first, and "Mage" is a backformation from that.

(On dictionary.com, under "Mage": "[From Middle English mages, magicians, variant of magi. See magus.]")
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

xtifr wrote:
turin wrote:Just so you know, the plural of Mage is always Magi.
No, the plural of Magus is Magi. The plural of Mage is Mages. In fact, as far as I can tell, the word "Mages" appeared first, and "Mage" is a backformation from that.

(On dictionary.com, under "Mage": "[From Middle English mages, magicians, variant of magi. See magus.]")
I was talking about in Wesnoth, not in general. In Wesnoth, mage plural is always magi. You can check the descriptions of the units. ;)

Whether it's technically right or not isn't as important as whether it is used or not.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

turin wrote:I was talking about in Wesnoth, not in general.
Ah, ok, I hadn't noticed that. Thanks for clarifying. Consistency is good. :)

cheers
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

turin wrote:.... However, I will say that I don't quite see why such a unit is necessary.
I think what Turin means, is that it's not apparent how the green Mage would play differently that the another Mage. (Except for story telling purposes in scenarios,) we don't include multiple units who's only significant difference is the graphics and description.

I don't have access to the game files from here, but the only difference i noticing from the red mage is that the attack type is cold rather than fire.

If i'm right, it is unlikely that the Green Mage would be added to the game. It wouldn't mean your concept is bad, but that you haven't considered enough gameplay details.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity