Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:

Tree people

Post by Guest »

Splitted from: http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/forum/phpB ... 0708#10708

Boucman:

Dunno who Goldorak is, but that's a good name for him :)

Chistophe33:

The morning stars and horns are what makes him a real dwarf! And he's a legend because the other dwarves lost an eye in practice. :wink:

That red-caped dwarf was a rough-draft layer, which I made invisible in gimp-2.0. When the final layer was ready, copied and edited from the draft layer*(minus the cape), I just ran a 'save as' png and did not think about the invis layers sticking around. I have started drawing some ents, as a sort of troll series of units for elves, and now the transparency should be from alpha layer with no extra junk in them:
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Err, do those fit inside the hex?
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Note that Ents are copyrighted by JRR Tolkien's family, and so we are unable to use them in the game.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Dave wrote:Note that Ents are copyrighted by JRR Tolkien's family, and so we are unable to use them in the game.

David
Thats why they are.... TREE SPIRTS!

*wink*
My contributions to the Wesnoth Project over time are inversly proportional to the number of registered forum users!
Piet Hein wrote:Knowing what thou knowest not is in a sence Omniscience

doh

Post by Guest »

I don't think they fit inside the hex, especially the lvl3(...ent...ent...ENT-CHOO! - pardon me) tree spirit. They're rough drafts, with fuzz and blur on...here's a sharpened one on its way - the lvl2 botanical humanoid with less goofy arms:
Ave

Post by Ave »

What about treant.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I really like your tree spirits, the baby one has a head which is a little to "merged" in the body though.... I think it would really be worse fitting them into a frame.

if they grow like trees, the first lvl would be greenish colour and very small, the lvl2 would be very tall and very thin, and only lvl 3 would have a strong body.

if we ever have a lvl4 it would be grey and leafless :D
enki

Post by enki »

Dave wrote:Note that Ents are copyrighted by JRR Tolkien's family, and so we are unable to use them in the game.

David
Yeah, copyright would probably be a problem. Furthermore, IMHO the term Ents are too tightly coupled with Tolkien/Middle earth and using it would make it seem that wesnoth is a part of Middle Earth.

I kind of like the units though. How abot calling it Treeman, that's what they are called in the Warhammer world. It's a more generic term and I doubt that it can be copyrighted?
Gafgarion

Post by Gafgarion »

I'm partial to Treants (a mythological name for tree people), myself. "Ent" was probably derived from this name.
-Gafgarion
Elvish Pillager wrote:Normal Trolls use clubs, not ostriches.
"Language is the source of misunderstandings." -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
miyo

Post by miyo »

Tree people, great. Heavy infantry of rebels? *grin*

- Miyo
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I see your point, miyo, but that's really too bad. we have to find a way to make them usable, they would look so good with the elves

we could make them extremely slow, the rebels are rather fast, and the slow units would be a pain to drag, and would be used only to defend the castle...
miyo

Post by miyo »

Ents... ermm... tree people is is something I have already suggest in past and have been waiting for (but I am not an artists).

Attack would most likely be crushing (something that elves are lacking), therefore they would be very efficient against undead. Most likely they should have ambush (as they would be very hard to detect in woods, right?). They should be extremely slow, maybe 4 or even 3?

- Miyo
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

With some work on the images, treants would be really cool heavy slow units for the elves. Of course they would have to be suceptible to fire (and thus to such units as the goblin pillager or the red mage).
enki

Post by enki »

miyo wrote:Ents... ermm... tree people is is something I have already suggest in past and have been waiting for (but I am not an artists).

Attack would most likely be crushing (something that elves are lacking), therefore they would be very efficient against undead. Most likely they should have ambush (as they would be very hard to detect in woods, right?). They should be extremely slow, maybe 4 or even 3?

- Miyo
4 in woods and 3 otherwise maybe?
miyo

Post by miyo »

Tree people should be able to move deep water?

- Miyo