Non-leading leaders?

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Non-leading leaders?

Post by irrevenant »

I note that neither the Elvish high lord or the Dwarven lord have the leadership ability. I realise that the game has been balanced to the current stats, but that seems a strange omission. Shouldn't all the factions' high level leaders (except maybe the orcs and undead) have leadership?
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

no.
Pythagoras

Re: Non-leading leaders?

Post by Pythagoras »

irrevenant wrote:I note that neither the Elvish high lord or the Dwarven lord have the leadership ability. I realise that the game has been balanced to the current stats, but that seems a strange omission. Shouldn't all the factions' high level leaders (except maybe the orcs and undead) have leadership?
If you consider "leadership" the ability to lead troops into battle with a strong tactical know-how, then I think that it makes sense for certain "leader" types not to have leadership.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

However, IMHO the Dwarvish Fighter tree should be branched at level 2 to a leadership branch and a fighting branch. The fighting one would be Steelclad -> Champion, the leading one {?} -> Lord.

This has less to do with the reasons you give, and more with my idea that dwarves should probably have even more leaders than humans do.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

turin wrote:{?} -> Lord.
Tactician!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:However, IMHO the Dwarvish Fighter tree should be branched at level 2 to a leadership branch and a fighting branch. The fighting one would be Steelclad -> Champion, the leading one {?} -> Lord.

This has less to do with the reasons you give, and more with my idea that dwarves should probably have even more leaders than humans do.
Yeah, this won't be going into 1.0, but it can go into the new branch. In fact, I may start chiseling away at some graphics...
Assasin

Post by Assasin »

Elvish Pillager wrote:
turin wrote:{?} -> Lord.
Tactician!
possibly, however Lords are more of the nobility of the elves. Think of the French army. Usually, the nobles would lead their men, and have the final decision, but usually they would be accompanied by someone who had military experiance, and would usually make the decisions on the day of battle.
I speak what's on my mind.

Which is why nothing I say makes sense.
wisdomless

Post by wisdomless »

Speaking of leadership, is there really no unit that becomes a human Leutinent? (Wow, that's spelled poorly) Why is this?
If stupidity got me into this, it should get me out.

Most pointless statement of the year award goes to me!
"People are lazy unless they care."
I'd like to thank unsung for this award... and all the people who helped make this possible...
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Assasin wrote:Lords are more of the nobility of the elves. Think of the French army. Usually, the nobles would lead their men, and have the final decision, but usually they would be accompanied by someone who had military experiance, and would usually make the decisions on the day of battle.
Okay. Let's call them "Elvish Noble" and "Elvish High Noble" instead, then.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

wisdomless wrote:Speaking of leadership, is there really no unit that becomes a human Leutinent? (Wow, that's spelled poorly) Why is this?
There is, and crazy as it might be, I wouldn't mind having the Sergeant recruitable in default. Possibly not in Age of Heroes, since it really is inferior to many other combat units, but it would be quite good in default.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I still want my all-loyalists-can-upgrade-to-lieutenant! :o
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

Only men with certain reputation or influences can get to be named Sergeants then, and after being trained in strategy, you have to make your own career in the battlefield.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I think either solution (including seargents or adding an 'all loyalists can upgrade to seargent'* would be fine.

*yes I realize that this is a weaker version of EP's suggestion.
Disto

Post by Disto »

Or allow peasants to upgrade into them.
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
wisdomless

Post by wisdomless »

I think it (Seargent) should be added to one (or all) of the multiplayer eras.
If stupidity got me into this, it should get me out.

Most pointless statement of the year award goes to me!
"People are lazy unless they care."
I'd like to thank unsung for this award... and all the people who helped make this possible...