Awful contrast/colour scheme on new title screen.

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

MadMax

Post by MadMax »

I'd like to see the new background go. I think the old one was much better (although it can use improvement), because, like scott said, the old background helped set the stage for the game.
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Loki

Post by Loki »

There's an updated map being worked on here:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7809

Barring the low resolution at the moment, it looks way better as a background. I agree about the layout, with regard to centering the logo and buttons.

As for the logo itself, I think it just needs a border similar to what the buttons and text box have. Black or translucent grey, three or four pixels thick, would separate it from the map nicely. The shield should be a different color though.

A quick mock-up of my suggestions for the logo. I'd like to see the shield have silver trim with a gold center, but my willingness to put effort into something this late at night is very low.

Edit: A more medieval font could be fun as well, but I can't find any decent ones on my system.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

The new map is cool, but there's still an issue with the yellow of the logo clashing with the yellow of the map.

I've had a try at tweaking the contrast myself here that seems to work fairly well (mostly I just made the map brown :)).

Adding heavy shadow behind the logo helps it stand out, too...
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Gotta post my quick rendition =)

Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Woodwizzle's rules, it's better than what's ever been in-game IMO. It could do with the whole logo being a bit smaller, mostly because it's huge and intrusive, but it's also nice to conceal the composition of the wood-grain.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Woodwizzle's logo is cool.

IMO, the shield needs to be weathered though. It looks a bit shiny and plastic.

Like EP I'd suggest making it smaller too, but not as small as the current logo.
Loki

Post by Loki »

Sweet logo. I agree that the shield should look a bit weathered - to honest, the whole image is a bit too cartoony looking for my taste. A good layer of nicks and scratches (on the text as well as the shield) would do wonders. Another quibble, "The Battle For" should be a bit larger and "Wesnoth" a bit smaller. If the title was simply "Wesnoth" it would look awesome, but the size difference is a bit much. Maybe a layout similar to what the web page has now, with "The Battle For" in between and the W and H, with "Battle" given some emphasis?

All that said, A+ for effort. Nice font, too. Any chance you could post just the shield so others might have a go with the text?
pacho

Post by pacho »

Woodwizzle wrote:Gotta post my quick rendition =)

I like this backgruound, but I prefer the new current logo ;)
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Zebulon
Art Developer

Post by Zebulon »

irrevenant wrote:IMO, the shield needs to be weathered though. It looks a bit shiny and plastic.
Xan's modified version:
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Loki wrote:"The Battle For" should be a bit larger and "Wesnoth" a bit smaller. If the title was simply "Wesnoth" it would look awesome, but the size difference is a bit much. Maybe a layout similar to what the web page has now, with "The Battle For" in between and the W and H, with "Battle" given some emphasis?
I consider "Wesnoth" the short name, and "The Battle for Wesnoth" the long name. IMO the larger size for "Wesnoth" is valid.

In the shield logo, the word 'battle' is centred over Wesnoth. IMO, this is sufficient emphasis to make it stand out from the minor words. IMO, no glow or other further effect is required for emphasis.
CyberJack

Post by CyberJack »

Just to chip in my 2 groats worth ...

I like this logo; it's clearer and more visible than either the old one or the current version.

I didn't like the move to having a map as the main screen background; but that's because the map used is near monochrome and just doesn't look very exciting. The map used just above is much better in that respect!

I also like the clarity of the map above, and being able to read the placenames; but OTOH it gives the impression of it being quite a small area! If that's the whole of Wesnoth, it's hardly worth having a battle over :-( I'd like a map that suggested epic, continent-spanning adventures ...

And one more idea for a map, if we stick with a map on the start screen ... how about a distant area shaded, and marked "Here Bee There Dragyns" in the best traditions of mediaeval mapmakers, with, of course, a picture of a red dragon. That would make the map even more colourful, and also help suggest to the viewer that we are in a Tolkienesque world of Elves and Dwarves and Quests to Defeat the Dragon ...
"As for the future, your task is not to foresee it, but to enable it" -- Antoine de-Saint Exupery.
Lugo Moll

Post by Lugo Moll »

I don't like Woodwizzels logo at all. It's too big and it looks more amateurish than both the old and new logo. I vote for the old version of Jetryls logo which can be found somewhere here:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=105
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies."
-Roger the shrubber
Disto

Post by Disto »

Lugo Moll wrote:I don't like Woodwizzels logo at all. It's too big and it looks more amateurish than both the old and new logo. I vote for the old version of Jetryls logo which can be found somewhere here:

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=105
We can't use it for legal reasons :roll:
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
appleide

Post by appleide »

Next time when you test on a resolution, try 1680x1280...

The map in version 1 look like a bunch of squares.....

Yes, I agree, the logo seems bland.

The shield woodrizzle is cool, but it doesn't seem to suit "wesnoth".

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE RED LOGO? :cry:

I loved the title page in 0.9.... even though konrad didn't (IIRC in the campaign) have red hair....

Maybe we should get a poll

This one! this one! this one!
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

For being able to test in such a resolution we would first need a screen that is able to display it.
Do you really think a poll would be the decission for the game? At the end we (the devs) have the final decission and the old logo does not look nice in front of the map at all. The colors of the old background looked nice, but the image did not (at least this is my opinion). A real high-quality version of the old image would be what I really would like. But since we do not have this or a by far better image for the background we do have the map in there. Maybe the map that is currently in work could replace it but I am not this sure about it at the moment.