1 thing wich keeps people with game longer

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

scott

Post by scott »

Just don't like outsiders. Haven't you ever seen Children of the Corn?
:)
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
MuNieK

Post by MuNieK »

hey new players are not freddies, hellraisers and candymans neither :lol:
It must have been cold there in my shadow,
to never have sunlight in your face.
You were content to let me shine
You always walked a step behind.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Dont worry about people not liking your ideas and refusing to implement this... happens to everybody, even Dave had some things left out of the game too. (my own list is longer)
Here, if people dont like something they just say it, nothing personal...
A ranking ystem is not that usefull now... usally only 10 or so people are looking for a game at the same time, most people arrange games beforehand of just play with know players...
OTOH if a few hundreds of players at the same time where looking for people to start games... that kind of system will be usefull.

And last but not least the usuall open source snob answer is also usable here, code it yourself and send us a patch (and maybe we accept it) :-)
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

MuNieK wrote:After my short experience with Wesnoth i could give you here so many examples of lame players, fascistic, bored, stupid and idiotic people playing this game...
3-4 mounths ago we didnt had any :roll:
Most of players on MP are newbies(for me it mean they playing less then 2-3 mounts)
MuNieK

Post by MuNieK »

i just closed wesnoth aplication after another failed game... I created game 4vs4 to have fun. Of course after waiting for full squad about 15 minutes, everyone screamed: "go go go go gog o" -.-' so i started. 2nd player was afk - i asked others "should i kick him or you can wait 2-3 minutes untill he will be back" - "kick him! go go go gog og og gogo " ok.. 1 player less. Then another quited becouse he love to have quick game. Im wondering why kids join 4vs4 game if they dont have time to wait for others' turns... And another left, then another, next 1 and i was in game with 1 player from my team. ok then "bye" for wesnoth for today - no chances to play games more then 1vs1 or if u have luck 2vs2... Thats example reason why Wesnoth need more players. Maybe then you will have more chances to meet players who understund that turn based game is not rts or street fighter, and if u dont have time then better dont start or at least dont start 4vs4...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

No, that's an example of why you shouldn't play 4v4s. Even if we get a lot more players, we will still continue to have this problem, except that you will start the game with the full 8 players, and then will slowly lose players and end with about 3.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
MuNieK

Post by MuNieK »

but then you will have some spectators for substitution, even if some of well choosed (from many of them at lobby) players will leave during game...
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

MuNieK wrote:no chances to play games more then 1vs1 or if u have luck 2vs2...
Odd.. i alwaves got at least 2v2 and usually 3v3.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

It really depends. If i observe games, about half the time i end up playing them (as a substitute for one of the players). Most of the time i am looking for 2v2 games in an early state, that is turn 1 to 3.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

How many licks does it take to reach the center?

Post by Kestenvarn »

How many hours would it take to complete a 4v4 without a group of folks leaving?

Someone on the forum has a sig that rings true for this... the one that goes something like "1v1 tests skills, 2v2 tests teamwork, 3v3 tests patience, and anything higher is a waste of time."
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

MuNieK wrote:hmm... you saying that all people who like ranks are lamers, bad manners players etc. After my short experience with Wesnoth i could give you here so many examples of lame players, fascistic, bored, stupid and idiotic people playing this game... So dont offend me please - i like play with friendly atmosphere, and i like ranks and for me (and many others) its not a problem to have a good ranked game with good players and do not get crazy about my stats. At every enviroment of players, at every enviroment of people you can find extremes examples. And your arguments are funny, when you are afraid of more people, then you should go to some psychologist... People! thats xenophobia!
Yes, it is. See if you've played long enough, you start to get to know who are the good players on wesnoth, and you tend to play with them more and more. I think getting to know who are the good players shows more understanding of the game than just looking at a ranking and seeing if they are "good" or a "newb." If you don't know who the good players are (or if they don't know you), then 99% of the time, I find that they aren't that good a player.
How many hours would it take to complete a 4v4 without a group of folks leaving?

Someone on the forum has a sig that rings true for this... the one that goes something like "1v1 tests skills, 2v2 tests teamwork, 3v3 tests patience, and anything higher is a waste of time."
if you have 8 good players (which often happens) it takes several hours (more like 4 or 5, I've gone up to 7 on a weekend), often with multiple switches of players occurring. that doesn't bother me too much. They are pretty fun, and I like to play in those games more than others.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
drakeprince

Post by drakeprince »

...Hi there! New guy! I'm not really sure what to say, because this forum doesn't really like a few things.... :oops: And I don't really think my opinion is really that important... But i think wesnoth is good as it is! Sure could be improvements, but I'm still glued to the screen during all my spare time. :D