Wesnoth 1.0 released

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Disto wrote:2. Because unless we gave it out for free on CD it's against GPL i believe.
AFAIK you can sell GPLed things, without breaking any law.
scott

Post by scott »

GPL means you give them the source code and the right to modify/redistribute it. You can charge for the binary or the CD, but the source is free.

Since you can compile for yourself for free, GPL'ed works tend to also be free, but not always.

Is there any interest in a CD? Someone with more $ than bandwidth?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
pstradomski

Post by pstradomski »

GPL means you give them the source code and the right to modify/redistribute it. You can charge for the binary or the CD, but the source is free.

Since you can compile for yourself for free, GPL'ed works tend to also be free, but not always.
No. You can charge for source on CD. Check at fsf site : http://www.fsf.org
scott

Post by scott »

I am corrected. There you go.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
unsung

Post by unsung »

so , now we are all going to wait for 1.x instead of 0.9x.
I actually think you reahed a high enough quality level a while ago.
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

Disto wrote:2. Because unless we gave it out for free on CD it's against GPL i believe.
Your belief is completely wrong; the GPL is "free as in speech, not free as in beer". You can (anyone can) charge whatever they want for GPL'd software. However, you have to include the source and full rights to redistribute freely. Note: not (necessarily) "for free", but "freely".

If GPL'd software had to be "for free", then Red Hat, Novell, IBM, and a bunch of other companies that sell Linux would be in BIG trouble! :)
Disto wrote:3. Because it's easier just to download off the internet.
Only if you have a high-speed internet connection. For people with dialup, having a CD distro of BfW could be very handy. And, indeed, I expect there will be CD distributions available soon -- there are companies that specialize in this sort of thing. However, they are probably going to be third-party products (just as, e.g., Red Hat Linux is not produced by Linus Torvalds directly).
Disto wrote:4. Because it'd need it to have a CD for every different port unless they included a version for each on said CD which would then be unpratical.
Or unless they only had CDs for a handful of the most popular platforms (which is probably what we'll actually see).

Far from being impossible or even improbable, I think CDs of Wesnoth are inevitable, although they probably won't come directly from the Wesnoth project (as per Disto's first point, which I do agree with). Heck, we might even see a nice, professionally packaged box set from someone. And why not? It works for Linux and OpenOffice.org...
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

If anyone is going to sell the game (successfully), they'd need a well written printed manual for the game. Which we currently don't have. So I don't expect to see a commercial version any time soon.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

I would not be surprised to see Wesnoth in different magazines soon. So look at for it when you go out to buy something to read ;). When they write something about Wesnoth it is rather sure, that they will ship it on cd/dvd, too.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

turin wrote:If anyone is going to sell the game (successfully), they'd need a well written printed manual for the game.
Depends on how much they want to charge for it. Places like Cheapbytes and Walnut Creek usually sell discs for a dollar or two. For that price, you get a pressed CD (not a burned CDR) with professional silkscreened logo and an envelope, and that's about it!

With a jewel case and a two-page jewel-sized installation guide, you might go as high as $5.

If you wanted to charge $20 or more, you'd probably have to have a professionally printed manual and a nice box to go with though, yeah.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
HaJo
Inactive Developer

Post by HaJo »

ivanovic wrote:I would not be surprised to see Wesnoth in different magazines soon.
There is a special games-edition of knoppix (DVD, 2.8 GB).
It also has wesnoth on it (v0.9.6), see http://games-knoppix.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/
-HaJo
pravin

Post by pravin »

Where is the ChangeLog located? I can't seem to find it on http://www.wesnoth.org/start/1.0/
A warrior may die a thousand deaths,
An empire dies but one.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Try changelog.wesnoth.org
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!