More music

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lindir The Green

More music

Post by Lindir The Green »

Here is some more music that I made. I don't think it is probably good enough to get into the new music Wesnoth that TimothyP and Aleksi are talking about, but I think is is better then most of the current music in Wesnoth.

Am I moving in the right direction?

http://www.geocities.com/lindirthegreen/Medieval

hee hee, I hope I spelled Medieval right...

Edit: Yeah, I'm using geocities, and so only, like, 3 people can download it each hour... If somebody would like to reccomend a better site that would be good.
"The men of Wu and the men of Yueh are enemies; yet if they are crossing a river in the same boat and are caught by a storm, they will come to each other's assistance. Hence it is not enough to put one's trust in the tethering of horses� -Sun Tzu
Corwin

Post by Corwin »

If it is a small file, you can probably just attach it to your message for people to download straight from the forum.
Corwin
Lindir The Green

Nope, it is 2.5 megabytes and the max that the forum allows is 0.5 megabytes. The maximum length that it can be and still be attatched is 1:30, and it is 2:45.
"The men of Wu and the men of Yueh are enemies; yet if they are crossing a river in the same boat and are caught by a storm, they will come to each other's assistance. Hence it is not enough to put one's trust in the tethering of horses� -Sun Tzu
TimothyP
Music Contributor

Post by TimothyP »

I admire your devotion, Lindir.

You really need to get some new sounds if you are serious about composing. These general midi sounds don't have a place in the video game world anymore unless you're doing like a puzzle game or something.

Listening to your music, I can tell you don't really have a plan for what you are trying to accomplish compositionally. All of the notes "work", but there is a clear line between music that "works" and music that inspires, or affects, or moves. Remember, it's not just throwing notes together and trying to avoid bad sounds.

One tip I have for you is to listen to a bunch of movie soundtracks or classical music. These will give you a better understanding of how music and composition work. Keep in mind, if we had a live orchestra for this game, we would use it. If you don't know how to write for orchestra or chamber ensembles, study up on it.

Or, for an example of development, go to my website and listen to Omnipotens or Song of Arthenor. Both of these classical pieces required very careful attention to every nuance and detail. You'll notice that not only do the notes "work" together, but they progress and change and always move toward something else to maintain interest for the listener.

Composition is not easy. I can identify with you well. If you work at it hard enough, you'll come up with something better, and then something better, and so on. Keep it up.

--Timothy
appleide

Post by appleide »

So... Tim, what IS your website? I don't have the address to it.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

There's a link to it right next to [profile] and [PM] under all of his posts. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Lindir The Green

Well, I wasn't really trying to say anything or inspire with it; I was just trying to make decent background music.

I don't really know enough about composition to make something that inspires, though.

But next year I might be taking some college classes, and I hope I can have a music composition class be one of them.

About my cheap sounds, I don't really have any money to buy sounds. And if I did, I would buy a better composition program first.